• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most cringeworthy Movie Cliche.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The sound of the gun hammer being retraced in a Striker fired sidearm that has no actual hammer.

The sound a sword or knife makes when drawn from its sheath,

Repeatedly pumping to reload a pump shotgun that was previously loaded and never shot or unloaded. Can’t be done without ejecting the shell already loaded.

Unlimited Ammo.

Ability to hit the head of a pin while cartwheeling through a crowded room.

Bending a bullets trajectory.

A chest shot from a shotgun that blows the person 10 feet backward in the air.

One swing head decapitation with a samurai sword.

Rifles and handguns with no real recoil.

Rapid fire semiautomatic and full automatic gunfire with no empty shells ejecting.

Gun shootout scenes where hundreds of rounds have been fired but no one slips on the hundreds of shell casings that should be littering the floors. They present a real trip and sprain hazard.

Shooting a high powered rifle with little to no eye relief on the Scope.

Tucking a gun in your waist band after a shootout. Think hot steel against soft skin.

Thinking every Veteran is proficient with guns and shooting. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Most never shot or handled a gun except for a few hours in Bootcamp.

I could go on but I’ll quit here. :oops:

Guns fired indoors where sonic impact on nearby ears or ricochet from nearby hard surfaces are entirely absent.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
One swing head decapitation with a samurai sword.

I always thought that was possible. When I read a book on the history of the Japanese-Korean wars during medieval Japan, the Samurai warriors would compete against each other to see how many heads they could collect with a single blow. There was even an account of a particularly well-built Korean prisoner whom they captured, and an argument broke out between the Samurai as to whom would have the honor of decapitating him.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I always thought that was possible. When I read a book on the history of the Japanese-Korean wars during medieval Japan, the Samurai warriors would compete against each other to see how many heads they could collect with a single blow. There was even an account of a particularly well-built Korean prisoner whom they captured, and an argument broke out between the Samurai as to whom would have the honor of decapitating him.

Your approach to investigating this—historical research—is much more sensible than my initial thoughts, which were "who will train me in kenjutsu" and "what sort of bribe will the morgue require".

Timso

Tameshigiri is the art of testing samurai swords. In the old days only the finest swordsmen were used for test cutting. And sometimes that test involved cadavers. Some swords would be rated as 5 body cuts. Such might well lop off a head in one swing.
Could be apocryphal, but I was told that convicts were sometimes executed by samurai testing their swordsmanship. And that care was taken to prevent the condemned from swallowing rocks (to ruin the test strokes).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
1) Haha ... any sound in the vacuum of space. And, obviously aerodynamic flight manoeuvres.

How about the various energy guns in almost all of the scifi movies I've seen which apparently use very slow light, because you can certainly see the little bolt coming and can often jump right out of the way. I think most bows would shoot faster arrows.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
In the Star Wars Prequels...
The sound effects of the Pod Racers... Really?! Revving Internal Combustion Engines?
Jango Fett's Seismic Charges... Umm... Power Chords In Space?

(OK... I know these aren't Plot Tropes, but we've gotten off that tip by a mile. :) )

Axo1989

Major Contributor
How about the various energy guns in almost all of the scifi movies I've seen which apparently use very slow light, because you can certainly see the little bolt coming and can often jump right out of the way. I think most bows would shoot faster arrows.

That's a gem.

jsilvela

This cliche I sort of like: accents and articulateness giving away the villain.
Wait, wait, that policeman just quoted Proust ... something smells rotten.
Often the mad scientist has a slight hint of a European accent.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This cliche I sort of like: accents and articulateness giving away the villain.
Wait, wait, that policeman just quoted Proust ... something smells rotten.
Often the mad scientist has a slight hint of a European accent.
The British bad guy :) drug lords are obviously from south America thou..

Tks

Major Contributor
Usually seen in series shows, not so much in movies.. But when two people who somewhat know each other, go on and survive what can only be described as a life threatening situation that would send someone to a psychiatric ward, but instead they then have sex and in the next scene talk like they just survived a funny night out with some drunk person trying to hit them with his eyes closed.

If this were actually a good measure of putting things behind you at that quick rate, I think you have quite a sound argument for legalizing a medical driven prostitution sector or something.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
What about Mary Sues or Marty Stu's (the male equivalent). Usually a self-insert, meaning the writer has inserted him/herself as a character into the script. Usually flawless, all knowing, overcomes problems which others find difficult easily, and have no character arc. Examples are Wesley Crusher from Star Trek and She-Hulk.

Top Bottom