• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modulus style error correction, do others use it?

ta240

Major Contributor
I was skimming a review on Stereophile and saw this: "The BMRs were being driven by a recently launched Van Alstine NPI power amplifier (55Wpc into 8 ohms, $1199). Van Alstine rep Mithat Konar explained that the NPI separates itself from the pack with Advanced Nested Architecture (ANA), a technology that incorporates a dual global correction circuit, reducing nonlinearities "to the vanishing point.""
It sounded similar to the Modulus-86 amp with similar output too. Even the description of distortion level sounded familiar to Neurochrome's "vanishingly low distortion"

I don't remember reading other amps talk about error correction before. Is that something that is common or is it just now being duplicated?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I THINK they are alluding to feedback (negative feedback = corrective feedback) which is done everyday.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I THINK they are alluding to feedback (negative feedback = corrective feedback) which is done everyday.
It could mean a mix of feedforward error correction and negative feedback. AFAIR the Benchmark AHB2 uses this, also some Quad poweramps (405?) from old. Nothing new under the sun..

D!sco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Correction circuits outside of bass are very rare, though. Unless you’re thinking of FIR, which doesn’t really use a circuit more than a correction profile. A feedback circuit would have to calculate errors more quickly than the impulse response. Bass is slow enough that it’s easy to improve this way. Go up a few hundred Hz and the same systems start causing problems, typically. If this works, it’s a huge breakthrough.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
They mention what I assumed was negative feedback and then say theirs adds a second circuit:

ANA is a major advancement in audio power amplifiers that brings you ever closer to the original source. Unlike more conventional amplifiers, ANA employs two independent control mechanisms to manage circuit nonlinearities. The first mechanism provides the kind of correction found in typical class AB audio amplifiers. To this, ANA adds a second global correction circuit that reduces nonlinearities to the vanishing point. We are confident that you will find the results exhilarating.

Top Bottom