• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex Digital into 2 DACs??

mfaughn

The miniDSP Flex has digital outs for Ch1&2 and Ch3&4, respectively. If one were to want to use this as an electronic crossover in a biamplification situation, it would seem you needed two different DACs, right? Would it be expected that the timing b/w the two DACs (let's say they are the exact same model of DAC) would be close enough not to cause issues? Or is this just asking for trouble?

If the latter (above) is the case, what is the point of having 4 output channels on the Flex Digital?

Multicore

Major Contributor
The miniDSP Flex has digital outs for Ch1&2 and Ch3&4, respectively. If one were to want to use this as an electronic crossover in a biamplification situation, it would seem you needed two different DACs, right?
At some point, yes, otherwise there will be no sound. But the DAC might be integrated in some other gear that you already such as active speakers.

If your downstream gear needs analog signals then you can use the other MiniDSP Flex option that has analog outputs. Amir measured that version and found it good. This would save some money and complexity.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the clock source is the MiniDSP itself via SPDIF, there is no syncing issue. Both DACs will start in tune just fine.

There may be different propagation delays if the DACs are not the same model, but a simple delay for one pair of channels can fix that.

OP
mfaughn

mfaughn

If your downstream gear needs analog signals then you can use the other MiniDSP Flex option that has analog outputs. Amir measured that version and found it good. This would save some money and complexity.
I own both a miniDSP Flex 8 and a Flex Digital (both with Dirac). I think what I really want is a Flex Balanced. I was thinking that I could go from the Flex Digital into a pair of balanced DACs. Might just make more sense to sell both current Flex units and my current DAC and just get a Flex Balanced.

Multicore

Major Contributor
So I could expect any relative delay between the two DACs to be constant?
If it's the same make and model of DAC I would think so. In general I'd think most SPDIF DACs would have negligible latency but I don't really feel qualified to say. I'm just guessing.

I own both a miniDSP Flex 8 and a Flex Digital (both with Dirac). I think what I really want is a Flex Balanced. I was thinking that I could go from the Flex Digital into a pair of balanced DACs. Might just make more sense to sell both current Flex units and my current DAC and just get a Flex Balanced.
If that's an option it's what I'd do. One box is easier to live with than three plus cables. And there's nothing wrong with MiniDSP's DACs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I could expect any relative delay between the two DACs to be constant?
If it's the same make and model of DAC I would think so. In general I'd think most SPDIF DACs would have negligible latency but I don't really feel qualified to say. I'm just guessing.
The same model will have zero relative delay. Another model might have some low value of delay, upto a few hundred samples at most. Different DAC filters will be the main cause of this, but there can be other sources as well. Like I said, not really an issue.

Top Bottom