• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meyer Sound Acheron Designer and X-400C to a Pre-Amp for HIFI solution?

emona1376

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking for your advice.

I plan to upgrade my HIFI system and evaluate a "non-traditional" product and configuration. The speakers I would like to acquire are a pair of Meyer Sound Acheron Designer and a pair of X-400C (sub) that I will use in stereo (L-R) configuration (links to the datasheets below and attachments). To be clear, each channel will have one Acheron Designer and one X-400C per channel.

I want to simplify the number of electronics and attach the speakers (active speakers with XLR) to a preamplifier w/DAC and nothing more. New pre-amps have good DACs; some add sound room correction (e.g., Marantz AV10 with Audyssey, Direct Live NAD M66, or McIntosh C2700 - no correction). With this configuration, I will have a pair of speakers and a pair of subs in stereo connected to the pre-amp/DAC and nothing more - a simple system.

I would love your feedback about the products, system design, and configuration. I appreciate your candid feedback.

Regards,

Ignacio

Links:

Attachments

• acheron-designer_ds_b2.pdf
    600.3 KB · Views: 36
  • x-400c_ds_b.pdf
    430.4 KB · Views: 21

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What inputs are you looking to support? The M66 has all you would need. Room correction, subwoofer output, HDMI and blueos for any modern digital inputs. You might be able to spend less with a minidsp flex if you don't need as many different inputs.

gnarly

Major Contributor
I think you will have a very nice setup !
Depending on room size, and your ultimate SPL goals (party mode) , I'd ponder the X-800s. Would add a lot of authority.

It's cool that the Acheron Designers' looping inputs, and built in xover processing with sub, means there's no need for a pre-amp with sub outs...unless maybe for room correction further down the road that requires individual sub channel processing.

I agree with Beershaun. Anything that gets various sources to the speakers XLR inputs works fine. (other than for potential room correction)

OP
E

emona1376

What inputs are you looking to support? The M66 has all you would need. Room correction, subwoofer output, HDMI and blueos for any modern digital inputs. You might be able to spend less with a minidsp flex if you don't need as many different inputs.
Thanks for your feedback. I will use an HDMI for TV audio, RCA for a phono stage, an SACD/CD transport, and the internal DAC of the preamp or an additional transport/dac external. What do you think about the Meyer Sound active solution configuration directly connecting to a pre-amp?

OP
E

emona1376

I think you will have a very nice setup !
Depending on room size, and your ultimate SPL goals (party mode) , I'd ponder the X-800s. Would add a lot of authority.

It's cool that the Acheron Designers' looping inputs, and built in xover processing with sub, means there's no need for a pre-amp with sub outs...unless maybe for room correction further down the road that requires individual sub channel processing.

I agree with Beershaun. Anything that gets various sources to the speakers XLR inputs works fine. (other than for potential room correction)
Thank you. The Acheron Designer + X-400C will be sufficient for my living room (space/SPL). My concern is moving these boxes (ohms/XLR) with a direct XLR plug from a pre-amp. I am not a big fan of equalization/room correction, but the new Audyssey and Direct Live are doing an excellent job and could help me with phase correction, too. Some high-end pre-amps have a separate XLR for subs with more flexibility on the equalization, DBs, and phase than plugging all together. Today, I am using a Marantz SR8802(japan) with a pair of Dynaudio and a pair of JBL subs (15") in stereo mode, and Audyssey does an excellent job. Any additional thoughts?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your feedback. I will use an HDMI for TV audio, RCA for a phono stage, an SACD/CD transport, and the internal DAC of the preamp or an additional transport/dac external. What do you think about the Meyer Sound active solution configuration directly connecting to a pre-amp?
Hooking them directly to the pre amp would be the correct solution since they already have amplifiers built in. These speakers seem to be more for pro audio than home hifi. They advertise 135db peak spl with an 18.5db crest factor which is very loud for home use. And the +/-4db frequency response variability is more than I would want to see in a home hifi speaker. How big is the space you are going to place them in?

OP
E

emona1376

Hooking them directly to the pre amp would be the correct solution since they already have amplifiers built in. These speakers seem to be more for pro audio than home hifi. They advertise 135db peak spl with an 18.5db crest factor which is very loud for home use. And the +/-4db frequency response variability is more than I would want to see in a home hifi speaker. How big is the space you are going to place them in?
The space is ~ 5 meters by 7 meters and ~ 4 meters high.

gnarly

Major Contributor
. My concern is moving these boxes (ohms/XLR) with a direct XLR plug from a pre-amp. ......<snip> ......
......Any additional thoughts?
What do you mean by moving the boxes with a direct XLR?
Any line level XLR preamp, processor, etc, can drive the speakers fine.
(In fact, you will probably find you want to use some in line XLR attenuators....those boxes are made to run :))

A system like you are contemplating can forever change ones idea about what hi-fi means....
...taught me that traditional home hi-fi's missing "fidelity component" is realistic SPL and dynamics.
Go for it !

OP
E

emona1376

What do you mean by moving the boxes with a direct XLR?
Any line level XLR preamp, processor, etc, can drive the speakers fine.
(In fact, you will probably find you want to use some in line XLR attenuators....those boxes are made to run :))

A system like you are contemplating can forever change ones idea about what hi-fi means....
...taught me that traditional home hi-fi's missing "fidelity component" is realistic SPL and dynamics.
Go for it !
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I believe the room correction (Audyssey and Direct Live) has a dB attenuator as part of the calibration process. My Marantz SR8802 has that feature. I am seriously considering purchasing and upgrading/replacing my current setup.

Top Bottom