• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mend It Mark fixed a Denafrips Athena Pre-Amp

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

what made it fail isnt that big a deal IMO but its surprising the designers didnt take this into account

but what is surprising is the forest of caps inside

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
but what is surprising is the forest of caps inside

It seems to be a Denafrips thing.

A bit like old folks taking too much medication, because if one pill is good for me, then three pills must be three times as good for me :D

One big difference being that too many PSU filtering caps don't poison you. They are just a waste of caps.

A lot of work for a repairman when they start failing and it needs a recap.

roog

Forum Donor
Yes a failed transformer was a surprise for me. In some of his videos he goes to extraordinary lengths to repair stuff of modest value, including dismantling fiddly multi-gang switches which I assume he can't find replacement parts.

roog

Forum Donor
He has by far the best repair channel on YouTube. Not only does he have great repair skills but is also always cheerful with nice production values.
I would agree, he also takes on a broad range of equipment, although I do like Mr Carlson's lab for the valve/tube stuff and Curious Marc for the old HP instrumentation, the obscure and US and Russian* space related stuff.

*particularly fascinating to me

Last edited:
OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i quite like Louis Rossman and Northridge Fix if you like computer based repair but I dont see a lot of conventional audio electronics repairs

Mark has done a few higher end pieces and its always nice to see what goes into the construction. Often we just dont get to see inside a product.

To see close up board shots and component counts and a repair is a treat... in the same way I like stuff where people repair high performance cars.

A lot of my stuff I havent opened up and I should.

Top Bottom