• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with that. However, ASR does not exist for the sole purpose of advocating and nurturing audiophilia. It has a different purpose, and that purpose is to assess the nature of equipment in a rational, logical and objective manner, based on scientific principles ..... not magic.

And in the restricted sense common to the scientific community, "objective" means "without emotion or bias". An objectivist is therefore a person who exerts an effort towards a given end by using logic and disciplined thinking, without allowing emotion or bias to affect the outcome. Example: "He viewed the situation objectively."

Note: Examples of successful cold fusion are notwithstanding. :p :p

Jim
Well, nobody is free of bias. That’s what controls are for.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's also OK to like how things sound, even if the "specs" suck. I have a recording studio filled with vintage guitars, amps, preamps, tubes and all sorts of things that have the worst specs in the world. Why? BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GOOD.
Recording != playback

In the studio, you are the artist. You get out your canvas and paints and create a masterpiece.

Would you like to have your masterpiece taken home, to subsequently find out that the new owner didn’t like the blues and painted them over with yellow?

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
It's also OK to like how things sound, even if the "specs" suck. I have a recording studio filled with vintage guitars, amps, preamps, tubes and all sorts of things that have the worst specs in the world. Why? BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GOOD.
There's nothing wrong with using vintage guitars, amps, preamps, tubes, etc. to MAKE music. ASR is about measuring playback equipment that accurately REPRODUCES - as closely as possible - the intent of the artist, including any intended distortion.

These are two entirely different things.

Last edited:

Kamrooz

Hello folks !
I have pair Martin logan summit x looking buy best sound quality for my home theater
Also I have Bryston 4b sst 300w 8ohm
Also I have pioneer lx 801 so want upgrade
Any recommendations please
Thanks

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello folks !
I have pair Martin logan summit x looking buy best sound quality for my home theater
Also I have Bryston 4b sst 300w 8ohm
Also I have pioneer lx 801 so want upgrade
Any recommendations please
Thanks
Welcome, I’d start a new thread with this one. It’s off topic. It’s always A good idea to include some detail around your room, budget and what you’re trying to achieve. You have some good gear to start with and I’m sure you’d get a lot of helpful advice. Members here have a lot of knowledge and it’s a great site to learn from

Kamrooz

Welcome, I’d start a new thread with this one. It’s off topic. It’s always A good idea to include some detail around your room, budget and what you’re trying to achieve. You have some good gear to start with and I’m sure you’d get a lot of helpful advice. Members here have a lot of knowledge and it’s a great site to learn from
Thanks you so much for your reply and time
I will do a new topic !

D

Deleted member 58722

Holy smokes!!! It IS those little dots!!!
No...freakin'....way, lol

pht500_2048x2048.jpg

Future PHT crops:​

Every 90-days or so SR will have a new crop of 2 new strains of precision handmade micro PHTs, one Type ’I’ and one Type ’S’ for you to try in your system for 30-days risk-free. Should you collect all 8-strains of PHT in the first year you’ll receive a free presentation case to hold all your PHT- plus one strain of PHT not available for sale, absolutely free! PHT’s are sold for $125 each or $199 for two. Crop yields are limited and when sold out, they’re sold out. Initial PHT crop yield was 750 Blue Velvet, 750 Purple Haze, 750 Black Widow and 750 Green Dream precision handmade micro PHTs.
It's a spoof website, no?
You can even buy merch that says 'I've been had'

Last edited by a moderator:
First-time poster, short-time member, long-time lurker.

My grad work dealt with modernism
vs postmodernism and objective vs subjective truths.

I hope you nerds can appreciate my restraint in not going full dork in this post.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First time poster, short time member, long time lurker.

I hope you nerds can appreciate my restraint in not going full dork in this post.
Great! You can tell us the morally defensible middle ground that no one will agree with :)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
First-time poster, short-time member, long-time lurker.

I would be fascinated to hear a postmodernist take on objectivism vs. subjectivism!

I would be fascinated to hear a postmodernist take on objectivism vs. subjectivism!
[must… not… go… full… dork… on… only... second… post…]

{but he asked us, precious!}

>no! he trickses us! very tricksy. we mus’nt trust him<

”He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him!”

Will you guys shush already!

And nobody asked you, Khan. Keep your shirt on.

[cough, cough]

[adjusts glasses and clears throat]

Well, if you really must know!

<dragged behind curtain and beaten into silence>

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Please expand. I did not know there was a difference.
I've talked about it extensively, both here and in print. Audiophiles (mis)use "subjective" to mean "no controls and peeking." That is not what subjectivity means in any other context.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I've talked about it extensively, both here and in print. Audiophiles (mis)use "subjective" to mean "no controls and peeking." That is not what subjectivity means in any other context.

I read your article with interest, but you left one thing out. How did von Osten's horse know how to do arithmetic?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I read your article with interest, but you left one thing out. How did von Osten's horse know how to do arithmetic?
Thru the weakness of single blind testing. Clever Hans was only clever when his handler was in view. His handler was providing unintentional cues to the horse without realizing it. With his handler not present the horse actually knew nothing about math. Mr. von Osten was doing the math not Hans.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We think our appreciation depends on our personal preferences and cultural backgrounds. What do you say about that?

Top Bottom