• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

xnor

everyone is just trying to do business
Which is fine if it is honest. But there's lots of false advertising, bogus claims and fraud. Even if the manufacturers don't do it themselves, there's a large industry that backs them. This goes back to what I said about "subjectivists" turning preferences (which are subjective and individual) into truth claims.

It is a vicious circle that can only be broken if these claims are challenged relentlessly.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Which is fine if it is honest. But there's lots of false advertising, bogus claims and fraud. Even if the manufacturers don't do it themselves, there's a large industry that backs them. This goes back to what I said about "subjectivists" turning preferences (which are subjective and individual) into truth claims.

It is a vicious circle that can only be broken if these claims are challenged relentlessly.
Objectivism is relentless and on occasions cynical and that’s the problem with it. As a younger man dreamt of a better life, relentless objectivists trample on peoples dreams.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But not as cynical as the charlatans who rip off the gullible.
Keith

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Objectivism is relentless and on occasions cynical and that’s the problem with it. As a younger man dreamt of a better life, relentless objectivists trample on peoples dreams.

Some of the other dreams trampled on by objectivism:
  • space travel
  • flying metal machines transporting hundreds of humans over huge distances
  • hand-held devices that connect the whole world population in real-time
  • planet-wide, fully distributed and interconnected computer network
  • digital audio and video recording and reproduction
  • DNA sequencing of human genome
  • antibiotics
  • etc., etc., etc.
All of these could've been possible were it not for this cynical, pesky objectivism trampling all over people's dreams!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
everyone is just trying to do business
Doing Business is fine and expected. You exchange money for a product or service. But deceiving your Customers to believe a product or service will do A, B and C. When in fact it does nothing or worse degrades your actual performance. That is not just trying to do business. That is called getting scammed or taken advantage of and essentially robbed. This is a major distinction between a business and a Charlatan. I’m certain you are able to make that distinction.

agiletiger

Let's say a person with a full understanding of measurements and an objective view is listening to two different pairs of speakers. He much prefers one pair of speakers over the others listening to music, but after he sees the measurements it's clear to him that the speakers he rejected are the ones that measure better.

If he still chooses to keep the speakers he subjectively preferred listening to music to, does that make him a subjectivist? Or did he just realize what the end goal is (musical enjoyment) and choose the middle ground, even though he fully understands he's not following his normal objective goals?

Amir's half-joke of a title for this thread is just about that, do we really need to be extreme "this" or "that", or is it a middle ground? :)

For those wondering, this is an example of what a middle ground looks like. For me, I look at measurements as data, not conclusions. I think a lot of you are like minded. Some look at measurements as a sole arbiter of judgement on audio matters.

My personal goal for my audio stuff is as follows - I want the experience to "feel" as close to experiencing live music as possible. Not absolute accuracy which is about faithfully reproducing the conditions of the recording.

From the reviews and measurements, I try to compare them to the equipment I've been drawn to and ones that I haven't liked - I mean the stuff on the outer edges. It gives me things to look for. In other words, I do try to find alignment between what I hear, what I'm looking for and what the data show. If I'm indecisive, which is more often than not, I will default to the cheapest best measuring equipment that meets my needs in terms of features and my use case. I am slowly starting to understand which areas I can tolerate distortion, degradation, etc and more importantly, what drives me nuts. For instance, the measurements let me see why I hate Klipsch speakers so much and know to avoid others that have similar rise in the higher frequencies. Interesting that I have some hearing loss in my left ear at around 4khz and up but I detest sounds that bring out highs at that level.

As for soundstage, I have heard it before and I've always attributed it to a speaker, or something else, separating out the different microphone placement. I do not like too much of that because that is not how music is experienced in real life. As a former orchestra and opera conductor, I know for a fact that you do not hear an orchestra in such a distinct spatial manner. The sounds blend together in a real life concert hall. My favorite speaker experience was hearing all the Revel speakers at their 2019 AXPONA room. It sounded like what I would hear in a concert hall. None of the weird and distinct separation of voices that I would hear on, for instance, Wilson Audio speakers. Since there is only one review of their speakers on here, it's hard to tell how this separation of voices and soundstage would manifest in these measurements.

In summary, I will always have a strong idea of what sort of sound reproduction brings enjoyment to me from years of being a musician. It has been a fascinating journey for me to try to tie what I see in measurements to what my preferences are. Again, the conclusions are my own and unapologetically subjective, but the measurements are essential objective data on the journey to derive pleasure from this hobby.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
His speakers will sell, or not, from the combination of sound quality, price and marketing. Oh, and possibly luck.
Should I need to replace the Spendors, I won't be searching for any blather by their MD at the time of purchase.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Some of the other dreams trampled on by objectivism:
  • space travel
  • flying metal machines transporting hundreds of humans over huge distances
  • hand-held devices that connect the whole world population in real-time
  • planet-wide, fully distributed and interconnected computer network
  • digital audio and video recording and reproduction
  • DNA sequencing of human genome
  • antibiotics
  • etc., etc., etc.
All of these could've been possible were it not for this cynical, pesky objectivism trampling all over people's dreams!
To be fair objectivists at the time did poor cold water on all of them. Human progress is a fight against cynicism, most human endeavours come to nothing.
The main argument against female emancipation was Women aren’t objective enough and therefore should be denied a voice.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair objectivists at the time did poor cold water on all of them.
Yes they said: “It can’t be done, prove me wrong”. And then people went out and figured out a way to do it anyway.

The subjectivist would say: “sure, this can be done! In fact, it was already done, just can’t remember who did it..” .. and then nothing happens.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair objectivists at the time did poor cold water on all of them. Human progress is a fight against cynicism, most human endeavours come to nothing.
Objective approach is scientific approach. Cynicism is not part of science. Every one of the dreams I listed were realized through science and couldn't have been done any other way. So, your talk about dreams being trampled rings hollow when such amazing dreams have become possible precisely because of it.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's say a person with a full understanding of measurements and an objective view is listening to two different pairs of speakers. He much prefers one pair of speakers over the others listening to music, but after he sees the measurements it's clear to him that the speakers he rejected are the ones that measure better.

If he still chooses to keep the speakers he subjectively preferred listening to music to, does that make him a subjectivist? Or did he just realize what the end goal is (musical enjoyment) and choose the middle ground, even though he fully understands he's not following his normal objective goals?

Amir's half-joke of a title for this thread is just about that, do we really need to be extreme "this" or "that", or is it a middle ground? :)

Very good way of putting it. I've brought up just the same issues where I have found I occasionally preferred a speaker that measures more "poorly" relative to the HK curve. So after auditioning some Revel speakers and some worse measuring speakers, I found myself much more engaged by the "worse" speakers. That could have been because I truly enjoyed the sound of the less neutral speakers more, or because of some sort of bias, sighted or otherwise, that was skewing my perception, or some mix in between. However, if contemplating a purchase I would be asking myself which criteria do I want to follow? Do I want to purchase the speakers that measure "better" and that I'd be more likely to pick in blind testing? Or do I want to pick the speakers that seem to reliably engage me more in the context I'd actually be using them, sighted listening? I'm inclined towards the latter. But making that choice doesn't for a moment deny or challenge "the science" behind loudspeaker design. It recognizes that bias may well be playing a part...but being comfortable enough with that, since it seems to be a pretty reliable
factor in my enjoyment. (Same, for instance, is possible in my choice of tube amps).

Whereas I can see the rational many use here where they'd say "I want the speaker that measures well in terms of the Floyd Toole research, both because it is neutral and I want low coloration of the source, and because it's more likely to sound good to me." Makes perfect sense too.

On my view both choices are compatible with the "Objectivist" point of view, because "Objective knowledge" doesn't ignore the existence of preference and bias. It's more about understanding what role they play, chasing down variables to get more reliable knowledge as to what characteristics are audible, why, and what causes them. Recognizing the realities of human bias, and when we want reliable knowledge, controlling for them and seeking objective measurable verification.

Being an "objectivist" in this sense doesn't mean you personally HAVE to engage in all the controlled testing and designing and measuring yourself. But you will at least be on board with the justifications that underly that program and will try to scale your confidence levels to the evidence.

Basically it's about not bullshitting ourselves. (And...at the very least...admitting when we are allowing ourselves to be bullshitted, e.g. indulging in a bias that causes a perception we know is likely not 'real').

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Yes they said: “It can’t be done, prove me wrong”. And then people went out and figured out a way to do it anyway.

The subjectivist would say: “sure, this can be done! In fact, it was already done, just can’t remember who did it..” .. and then nothing happens.
Or they went out did it and said you were wrong.
When it comes to progress in science and engineering some of the progress is accidental. Two examples Stainless Steel and Penicillin. Objectivists never look any further than what is already known. Subjectivists look for the next improvement and yes quite often they do get duped. People like you should thank them for funding progress.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
More like: "Hey, that's funny.. Lets dissect it and look at the pieces from every possible angle" vs. "Hey, that's funny.. I feel like this is the reason for it, so lets just go with that".

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith there are rip off charlatans, yet we have the owner and designer of Harbeth recommending speaker cables. Why would he risk his reputation?
For the same reason Gordon Gow stopped the speaker wire demonstrations in the McIntosh clinics, and referred people to their dealers. For the same reason Roger Russell used Cardas wire even though he thought it a waste of money in his expensive speakers. They were unable to fight belief with plain fact.

Rick “and weren’t willing to lose sales by going on a crusade” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main argument against female emancipation was Women aren’t objective enough and therefore should be denied a voice.

Can we please stop conflating objectivism with lack of entrepreneurial risk-taking? They are orthogonal.

Rick “thank you” Denney

Top Bottom