• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have good bass extensions but it’s worthless if the owner gets huge dips and cancellations due to room modes

In other words in most rooms, something like a pair of W371A + 8351 would provide objectively and subjectively better response at the listening position..
Or If you absolutely want to spend some money a pair of Genelec 8381A at a paltry $64,000.oo... These would do the same and likely play louder .. enough to permanently destroy your hearing...
You still have enough financial room, to build a dream room:). Call Keith Yates to design it for you... and buy all the material necessary then ..
Throw in a SOTA HT with a 100 inches OLED TV and 11 x Genelec 8351A for surround and Atmos and a third 8381 for center channel.... You still have enough money for any Subwoofer system; you may want to include those that can provoke mini earthquakes.. Still have money left for room treatment.. and a Trinnov pre Pro.. You would not have spent there half of the asking price for this nonsense...

You still have money left to gift a pair of a Genelec Aluminum speaker to @Pearljam5000 , so that he stops posting those nonsensical products, because he would then be, listening to music through his favorites and, objectively good SOTA speakers...

:cool:

Peace.

P.S. Those are nonsense, but if there are people able and willing to purchase these .. From the business owner viewpoint... Why not ?

Last edited:

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the Magico kind of money I would just get a huge place (like 20x25 meter), acoustically treat it and get a really nice Dolby atmos music system.

Something like 7x Kef Blade Meta and 4-8 32“ ascendo subs.
Would probably still be cheaper than the Magicos :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20230924_185220.jpg

Screenshot_20230924_185154.jpg

Never thought I'd see a near field M9 setup lol

bo_knows

For the Magico kind of money I would just get a huge place (like 20x25 meter), acoustically treat it and get a really nice Dolby atmos music system.

Something like 7x Kef Blade Meta and 4-8 32“ ascendo subs.
Would probably still be cheaper than the Magicos :)
Now you talking, Blades to slash the Magico. Sounds like an assassin plan. Dang...:D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

juliangst

I don’t think you need treatments on every surface to get good sound but a room with that many large reflective surfaces would definitely benefit from a little bit of treatment imho.

juliangst

What do Magico recommend listening distance for the M9?
They claim that their drivers are capable of 120dB at 1m without distortion. So maximum distance should be around 10 meters.
I expect minium distance to be around 2-3 meters because the drivers need some distance to sum (the slightly tilted baffle might reduce this distance a little bit).

I think 5 meters is a healthy distance for large speakers like this one.

NIN

They claim that their drivers are capable of 120dB at 1m without distortion. So maximum distance should be around 10 meters.
I expect minium distance to be around 2-3 meters because the drivers need some distance to sum (the slightly tilted baffle might reduce this distance a little bit).

I think 5 meters is a healthy distance for large speakers like this one.

What the drivers is capable of is not really the question. Depending on the directivity of the speaker one often have an listening window witin where the speakers will sound the best.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Also don't the tweeter needs to be on ear level ?
Not sure it happens Becaue it's so tall

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder why they didn't make the bass drivers active /powered like the Focal Utopia
focal-stella-utopia-em-evo-at-high-end-2018 (1).jpg
gu_evo_white.png

ldarieut

Found some nearfield frequency response and distortion measurements for what it’s worth

https://audioplanet.kr/2022/05/매지코-m9-측정-리뷰/

looks pretty linear and distortion at 95dB is also really low.
But with a speaker that large I would also like to see distortion at 105dB or more.
For a million bucks speaker it should be able to produce those SPL without any significant distortion but something’s telling me that a 1 inch tweeter wont keep up at those levels…
Well, it's 1/24 smoothing for the FR so it is not _that_ bad, but I agree for 750K it should be a lot better. My own DIY speaker (dsp, three way) has a better FR.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What are all these 12 appliances for? These speakers are multi-amped with an analog crossover, what is the point?
The volume of the ‘hi-fi shrine’ has to be in strict proportion with that of the speakers, dealers are given some guidelines to follow.
Keith

ldarieut

It seems mandatory to have many boxes with the M9 lol
you are right, it's suspiciously the exact same number and almost same arrangement of boxes too! There has to be a pattern there!

Joking aside, I'm quite curious as to what kind of stuff they stack there. I can see 4 monoblocks? There is probably one preamp, one dac? What are all the other boxes for?

Last edited:

juliangst

you are right, it's suspiciously the exact same number and almost same arrangement of boxes too! There has to be a pattern there!

Joking aside, I'm quite curious as to what kind of stuff they stack there. I can see 4 monoblocks? There is probably one preamp, one dac? What are all the other boxes for?
Found a sound demo of that setup and the description says:

Streaming DAC: CH Precision C1
Master Clock: CH Precision T1
External Power: CH Precision X1
Pre-Amplifier: CH Precision L10
Power-Amplifier: CH Precision M10

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no excess like wretched excess.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Imagine if they were active
Setup would be much cleaner with just the speakers + a streamer .
But most hi end brands would never make active speakers (not sure why)

Top Bottom