• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico A3

rman9

Got the Magico A3's delivered last night.. Hooked them up to MA352, with the Luxman DX03 DAC for a Lumin U1 mini streamer. Started with vintage French music.. Think I have finally achieved the elusive audio nirvana.. Excellent clarity, controlled bass and non fatiguing highs.. Quite haunting.. I couldn't bear to listen to some of my favorite music as it triggers the emotional sadness of my mom passing away in the recent past.. As pricy as they are, in my mind I think of them as an engineering marvel, from the rasping of the drums to the hush of the voices , I could just keep going.. I never could experience this with the other speakers.. the JA RM22si, The B&W 805s or the Dynaudio pairs.. I plan on testing them out with the mcC53/mc462 combo this weekend. Thanks to members here for advising me against searching for class A amp.. I am settling in and enjoying the setup..

JSmith

Master Contributor
Think I have finally achieved the elusive audio nirvana.
Great news. :)
it triggers the emotional sadness
So sorry, I hope that passes eventually.
Thanks to members here for advising me against searching for class A amp.
thumbs-up.png

JSmith

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some pics would be nice! And yeah, Magicos are great sounding speakers

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why are the drivers so far apart? Are there any benefits to it?
MagicoA3LoudspeakerDouglasHiFiPerth.jpg

OP
R

rman9

Have not put them on spikes yet, trying to find the best spot for them.. I have them on pieces of gym mats, as they are confoundingly heavy to move..

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
After equipping with such nice electronics and speakers, the remaining potential for improvement would be mostly in room acoustics.
There's a good place to put some thick absorption/diffusion on the wall behind the gear :)

OP
R

rman9

After equipping with such nice electronics and speakers, the remaining potential for improvement would be mostly in room acoustics.
There's a good place to put some thick absorption/diffusion on the wall behind the gear :)
I'll certainly look into that..

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'll certainly look into that..
Maybe try some measurements with a mic/REW and applying some correction EQ where required;
Then there is the bit about needing 'room treatment' to get good sound. He badly needs to read Dr. Toole's book and get an education there. I have been to shows in tiny suites like Andrew Jones showing his speakers that the sound absolutely delighted. You don't need to slap diffusers and bass traps everywhere and pretend that improves the sound. I have not heard one thing from Danny that indicates he knows the science there.

Yes, if we have an empty, dedicated room, we put in acoustic treatments. But in everyday listening spaces, we can get superb sounding systems. No need for pretend acoustic treatment.

JSmith

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Congrats for the very good speakers!

I don't believe in front wall damping or diffusers being helpful. Positioning of speakers and the seat can do much more...
There is a very good reason to put sealed woofers near the floor and midrange way up!

Last edited:

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I don't believe in front wall damping or diffusers being helpful. Positioning of speakers and the seat can do much more...
What’s needed is proper measurement and evaluation of the acoustics of the room and treatment based on that. That’s not easy stuff btw, professional consultation might be best way to go.
Floor is tile and depending on the room furniture and decor the room might be an echo chamber which won’t ever sound good. Start with a simple clap test.

YSC

Major Contributor
Nice setup, great measuring speaker below 5khz and looks very sexy. but I wonders from various measurements Magico seems to have a pretty severe roll off past 5khz, how did you percieve the highs?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got the Magico A3's delivered last night..
Congratulations!
Quite haunting.. I couldn't bear to listen to some of my favorite music as it triggers the emotional sadness of my mom passing away in the recent past..
I know the feeling. My dad passed away 6 years ago in a few days, and I still have this with some songs. Although a haunting and sad feeling it is also a vivid memory of things enjoyed together. I’d say, cherish this!

Vhond

How is your experience with the low frequencies, especially because it seems your room floor is very sturdy?
The speakers are downfiring aren't they??

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is your experience with the low frequencies, especially because it seems your room floor is very sturdy?
The speakers are downfiring aren't they??
I believe they are sealed speakers.

Zog

Got the Magico A3's delivered last night.. Hooked them up to MA352, with the Luxman DX03 DAC for a Lumin U1 mini streamer. Started with vintage French music.. Think I have finally achieved the elusive audio nirvana.. Excellent clarity, controlled bass and non fatiguing highs.. Quite haunting.. I couldn't bear to listen to some of my favorite music as it triggers the emotional sadness of my mom passing away in the recent past.. As pricy as they are, in my mind I think of them as an engineering marvel, from the rasping of the drums to the hush of the voices , I could just keep going.. I never could experience this with the other speakers.. the JA RM22si, The B&W 805s or the Dynaudio pairs.. I plan on testing them out with the mcC53/mc462 combo this weekend. Thanks to members here for advising me against searching for class A amp.. I am settling in and enjoying the setup..
I've had mine for a few years now. They looked better in the flesh rather than in the photos where they appeared somewhat industrial. My only gripe: bass. The numbers say they go low but in practice they benefit from a sub. I got the REL G2 - NB also a sealed box, also similar cone material. So a seamless integration. Excellent timbral accuracy - to the point that winds and brass are close to lifelike. With strings (a more complex waveform) it is still obvious that you are listening to speakers. Nevertheless at my price point they are endgame speakers. They do need a bit of power and amps like the ATC P1 and Pass X150.8 are plenty.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Congrats for the very good speakers!

There is a very good reason to put sealed woofers near the floor and midrange way up!

I disagree in at least one aspect. The closer to the front wall you can position the speakers, the higher SBIR frequency. It is possible to push it high enough to make it absorb-able by broadband absorbtion, such as a large 5 or 6" thick panel. In small rooms, this can be a good solution.

See here for an example: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...probably-not-death-thread.32406/#post-1138503

Top Bottom