• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

low power amplifier for Linux-based digital piano/home theater and bi-amplified speakers

gibbyj

Forum Donor
Hi,
I guess I'm a newbie, finally asking for some help. Several years ago I set up a Linux-based system with Ecasound digital crossover (and 3 passive circuit crossovers for mid to high), 3 bi-amplified speakers I re-worked from old Avid & AR speaker boxes, with decent drivers, and 2 12" sub-woofer sealed enclosure speakers I made. Including rear surround speakers, I need a total of 10 amplification channels. I have a hodge-podge Tango DAC, 300watt Crown amp for sub woofers, Rotel 6-channel amp for other speakers, and now even a Fosi 160w class D 2-channel amp. Until a few weeks ago, I used a Parasound 2 channel (90 watt?). The problem is, all my old amps I bought used several years ago, are slowly breaking on me. (It just occurred to me, could this be because I turn the amps on and off by using smart plugs to plug/unplug them??) The Rotel now only has 2 channels out of 6 working, and the Parasound stopped working reliably as well. I bought the Fosi as an experiment, thinking if I used only the lowest segment of its power, it might be adequate for the mid-range drivers. I'm no audiophile, but I think it sounds a bit bright; was using it for mid-range drivers (where it seemed adequate) until another set of Rotel channels dropped out, when I had to connect the Fosi to 2 high-range speakers so my Piano would stop sounding like a Ukeleli. The $75 Fosi is probably not adequate for that task... (when I buy another amp, I will do some comparisons and see if my ears can tell.) Anyway, it is time to upgrade some, and figure out how to spend my money most wisely. I need at least a new 2-channel amp, probably for the high range, so I can put the mid range back on the Fosi. Actually I need to buy at least 4 channels at this point, so I can have the rear surrounds working again. And I wonder how much longer the last 2 channels of the Rotel will keep working. I would not mind getting another Rotel-equivalent multi-channel amp (BasX a-700? cheap Chinese multi-zone unit?), but am a little sour on that idea, after my experience with the Rotel slowly breaking. I don't mind buying multiple 2-channel amps if that's the best way to go. Since my speakers are bi-amplified, I don't need much power for each channel. (The Crown gives me plenty of power for the subs.) Not really sure what to do; to get the most bang for the buck, am not sure whether to spend $200 for 2 channels, or much more. Not really sure, either, if the weak links in my system are the amps, or the speakers. But I probably don't have the energy to go back to work on the speakers, LOL. One other thing - the Tango only has 8 channels, which I work around in probably a crummy way, so it would be neat to get an amp with integrated spdif optical input. I use this system for a nice Kawai digital piano (MODARTT PianoTeq simulation program) that I want to sound as realistic as reasonably possible, as well as for movies and other music. I know this is a messy description, but would appreciate any guidance you can give me. Thanks!

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The Hypex FusionAmp plate amp series include DSP-based active crossover with analog and digital inputs - I think the optical input is only on the 2 and 3 channel models, not the single channel ones. They don't come with a pretty case, but they're probably the cheapest way to get nCore amps - lots of bang for your buck. The 3rd channel on the 3 channel models is nominally 100W (less on FA123 due to power supply limitations) and intended for tweeter use.

OP
G

gibbyj

Forum Donor
The Hypex FusionAmp plate amp series include DSP-based active crossover with analog and digital inputs - I think the optical input is only on the 2 and 3 channel models, not the single channel ones. They don't come with a pretty case, but they're probably the cheapest way to get nCore amps - lots of bang for your buck. The 3rd channel on the 3 channel models is nominally 100W (less on FA123 due to power supply limitations) and intended for tweeter use.
Interesting plate amps. Not sure I need the built-in DSP and that much power, although it is neat. I'm using my Linux computer with Ecasound, for active crossover. Let us forget my question about having optical inputs, and focus on just a basic, reasonably priced 2 or more channel amplifier, ~50 watts clean power per channel should be enough, I believe, e.g. to drive a 4" mid and tweeter combination? Wouldn't this do it for me, or am I underestimating? A recommendation for this amp; or do you stick to the hypex as the best for the money?
Not that I'm completely discounting the Hypex idea; I really like the looks of those.
Trying to understand what Ncore is, I read some. Sounds really good. I found this configurable multi-slot amp: https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ma-01-flexible-amplifier/ With this, I could sell my big Crown amp and use one of the 4 configurable slots for a subwoofer amp, the other 3 for smaller Ncore amps. A lot more money than I meant to spend... but the specs on these Ncore things are so good...

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I was going to link to the KJF one, but skipped it on bang-for-buck grounds compared to the plate amps. It's probably better value than I remember when you get to the higher channel count configurations though. There are reviews of a number of nCore based amps at various price points here from the likes of Nord, March Audio, VTV and others. The NCxxxMP modules with the built in power supply are used in the cheaper ones as well as the FusionAmps, and have slightly reduced performance relative to the more expensive NC400 or NC500 based amps. Keep in mind that the nominal power is the maximum into 4R, and a little more than half that into 8R which I guess is what you're thinking of when you say ~50W. The FA122 or another amp based on the NC122MP would be in that ballpark - see the March Audio P122 review for performance of that module well assembled in a machined aluminium case, including power output and the ensuing discussion of the 'proper' way to define it.

If you look at the comparison chart there's a tab for power amps that should give you some pointers for other options. Unfortunately it doesn't show channel count, which makes the multichannel amps appear worse value than they are - the Outlaw 5000 springs to mind but there may be others. For comparison the FA122 is $384 at Madisound.

OP
G

gibbyj

Forum Donor
I was going to link to the KJF one, but skipped it on bang-for-buck grounds compared to the plate amps. It's probably better value than I remember when you get to the higher channel count configurations though. There are reviews of a number of nCore based amps at various price points here from the likes of Nord, March Audio, VTV and others. The NCxxxMP modules with the built in power supply are used in the cheaper ones as well as the FusionAmps, and have slightly reduced performance relative to the more expensive NC400 or NC500 based amps. Keep in mind that the nominal power is the maximum into 4R, and a little more than half that into 8R which I guess is what you're thinking of when you say ~50W. The FA122 or another amp based on the NC122MP would be in that ballpark - see the March Audio P122 review for performance of that module well assembled in a machined aluminium case, including power output and the ensuing discussion of the 'proper' way to define it.

If you look at the comparison chart there's a tab for power amps that should give you some pointers for other options. Unfortunately it doesn't show channel count, which makes the multichannel amps appear worse value than they are - the Outlaw 5000 springs to mind but there may be others. For comparison the FA122 is $384 at Madisound.

Thanks so much! Interesting new world for me; I studied the amp comparison chart, and even became a member. The short story: I went down this road of speaker bi-amplification, so I need a lot of channels with not as much power each, 8 in the front, 2 less important ones in the back. At this point I see 4 options to improve on my lot:
1. The KJF/Ncore, configured for the max (8??) channels, sell my big Crown (subwoofer) amp and get a small 2-channel for the rear speakers. Net Cost: around $1900.
2. Outlaw 7-channel, keeping the Crown. $1100.
3. Emotiva Basx 7-channel. $650. Still have to have additional small 2-channel amp for rear speakers.
4. Emotiva Basx 8-channel. $500. Very low power... but may suffice for me. Exactly the # of channels needed, including the rear speakers.

Well I found a "close out special" on option 4 and bought it. Could still change my mind and buy something better, but it seemed worth a try. I don't listen to music loud, not often anyway. Sending ~35 watts each to single drivers or small mid/tweeter pairs... might be enough for me. Do you think I'm being stupid?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It seems pretty sensible to me - if that's enough power and sounds good then you've got what you want without overspending. If you need more power then you can probably recover most of what you've spent on it by selling it, and you're in a better position than before as you'll have a better idea of your power requirements.

OP
G

gibbyj

Forum Donor
It seems pretty sensible to me - if that's enough power and sounds good then you've got what you want without overspending. If you need more power then you can probably recover most of what you've spent on it by selling it, and you're in a better position than before as you'll have a better idea of your power requirements.
Yes... thanks... I will get into this little by little. Maybe one day I will have Ncore, and will understand why, and appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom