• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for measurements of Elac Carina fs 247.4 and Wharfedale Evo 4.4

OP
TSB

TSB

Congratulations! I hope you're enjoying them! Drop a note with your impressions when you have the chance.
They do fine for popular music and movies but I'm not happy with the performance in reproducing timbre of orchestras / instruments in classical music.

Generally I would describe the sound as neutral and not fatiguing in most music, there is no super obvious coloration, but for classical music the realism is not nearly good enough for me. There is something painful about some high quality recordings I have.

Placement in my current room is not optimal as we moved to a different place (and country) recently and the place is a bit smaller.

I don't know if the performance is "normal" in this price range, my comparison material is limited.
  • Magnepan 1.7i with 2 REL subs (in a completely different league but also different price - these would fail spectacularly in some recordings and succeed spectacularly in others, especially with in-room (live) recordings of acoustic music)
  • A set of older Monitor Audio Bronze at a family members place (much much obviously warm / colored sound, but not unpleasant)
  • Some random cheap headphones I have laying around (they all kill the speakers to be honest).

Probably will end up selling them when I get around to it. Take this 'review' with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Tomino

Forum Donor
Sorry to hear you're not better pleased. Depending on what you use as a source, maybe in the meantime you can create some digital filters to refine the sound you're getting from them.

Reactions: TSB
OP
TSB

TSB

Sorry to hear you're not better pleased. Depending on what you use as a source, maybe in the meantime you can create some digital filters to refine the sound you're getting from them.
I got myself a mic and found a bump 2.5-3 khz. Tuning that down with software dsp on my laptop makes the unpleasantness go away instantly. Very happy listening atm. :) Next step is to get a raspberry to apply the same dsp to all signals.

regan

I got myself a mic and found a bump 2.5-3 khz. Tuning that down with software dsp on my laptop makes the unpleasantness go away instantly. Very happy listening atm. :) Next step is to get a raspberry to apply the same dsp to all signals.
Does the sound alters a lot when you move off axis around the room?
Seen this reported as a big minus with the 4.2. Curious if it's the same with the 4.4

OP
TSB

TSB

Does the sound alters a lot when you move off axis around the room?
Seen this reported as a big minus with the 4.2. Curious if it's the same with the 4.4
My impression is the opposite, very little change in sound off axis. But my previous speaker was a magnepan, so my standards are low ;)

OP
TSB

TSB

Moved to a new (bigger) room. They do sound a lot better here. Did some quick measurements with REW, attached for your pleasure is the vector average of a few listening positions on/around my couch. Note the bump at 2.4k screaming for EQ. I'll try to do some measurements with Dirac soon. Note they are not lying about bass.
smoothed in room average.jpg

effj

Glad I finally found this thread. I’m wiping the metaphorical sweat off my forehead knowing that I didn’t spend so much money (for me) on the EVO 4.4s only to find out that they measured poorly. Lot’s of positive subjective reviews, so I’m glad that there’s also some objectivist consensus.

Reactions: TSB
Top Bottom