• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for ideas for a silicone ear+mic setup

mahaju

I need to test out a feedback cancellation algorithm for a hearing aid firmware. When it comes to generating feedback for testing hearing aids, I think there is no other option but putting the hearing aid inside a real ear. So I am looking for an alternative, but I cannot find something that seems right and within my budget. I can find cheap silicone ears and microphones, but I cannot find any setups that combine the two. A kemar head and torso simulator is probably the industrial grade version of what I am looking for, but it is too expensive and I probably don't need all it's features for my current requirements. I need a fake ear that (adequately enough) simulates putting a hearing aid on a real ear, with microphone attached to it that will allow me to get the audio reading, and within a reasonable budget.
Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can use? Or any suggestions or personal experiences to share, on making a custom setup?

OP
M

mahaju

Thanks @staticV3 this might be exactly what I am looking for, I will look into it further
I already have the 2nd item you linked to (IEC60318-4 Occluded ear simulator) and when I look in the description of the 1st one (silicone ear lobe) it says this
"...needs to be used with IEC318-4, IEC 711 artificial ear"
and also looking at the picture of the hole below the ear, it looks more like it connects to the 3rd item that you linked to

I was wondering if item 1 can be used with item 2, or do I need to find more information about whether they are compatible with each other or not? If there was video or pictures showing how item 1 connects to item 2, I would be more comfortable with investing money in this

Also, regarding item 2, the label on my occluded ear simulator is exactly the same as the picture shown in your 2nd link, except the last line. Mine says No. 30040 (the picture in your link says No. 40029). Do you know if this makes any difference, or is it just the manufacturer's serial number?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The KB5010 clone simply screws onto the 60318-4 inner ear simulator. No extra adapter is required.

You screw off the steel tube and replace it with the pinna.

S4da615b256e943d59d9867da4b8d779eD.jpg_640x640q90.png

Top Bottom