• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for headphones for my audio interface [ soundcard]

Reggiejackson

I hope you guys can help me to find some good headphones. I'm using a Marian Seraph AD2 pcie audio interface with Audio techinca 40x which I plan to upgrade on. The stats for the interface ouputs are

• Max. Level: customizable from +15dbu up to +24 dBu
  • Impedance: 75 Ohm
  • SNR: 123 dB(A)*
  • THD+N:
    <0,0008% / <-102 dB*
  • Frequency Response:
    0 Hz … 61 kHz
  • Crosstalk: <-110 dB
I assume it's balanced line level? It's not a headphone jack it comes with xlr connectors which I connected to a y double xlr to male trs cable then used a female to female TRS coupler to connect my headphones.
I'm currently using Audio technica 40x. Which sound pretty good, very detailed,clear and potentially extremely loud. They are 32 ohm impedance.

I'm using the headphones primarily to play guitar amp sims and to listen to music. I'm not interested in coloration of sound as I would rather have clear detail. I've got my eyes on Massdrop 6xx Senihesser 650 copies which are 300 ohms. I assume high impedance is needed since my line out is 75 ohm?

Also mass drop 4xx, and monoprice m570. Unfortunately all the planar magnetic headphones are low impedance, although I have heard that planar magnetic headphones don't require impedance matching? This is something I'm very curious about

I've been told that I need a headphone amp for this card, but it is already extremely loud, and I don't want any coloration or latency added, although I assume headphone amp are analog? I found a discussion with a user of a Rme hdsp 9632 which is a pci interface with the same types of outs but it does come with a headphone connection also 75 ohms. He tried a e9 headphone amp and said there was no noticeable difference on his 650 headphones except it had the potential to go louder, but it was already more than loud enough. Although I assume a headphone amp would give me lower impedance [ if that is an issue ] and allow me a greater range of usable headphones?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Bob-23

If you're lookin' for non-coloration, you're on the right path with these Sennheisers. I've got the HD600s, arguably one of the most 'neutral' phones; today's Hd650 don't differ much, just a little bit darker. I don't think you need another amp, 75 Ohm output impedance sounds a lot, but frequency response gets (only) slighly elevated around the typical 100 Hz (which may morphe the HD600s to HD650s).

OP
R

Reggiejackson

Thanks for the replies that link to measurements was very helpful.
As this is an orthodynamic headphone its impedance is as good as ruler flat so a higher output resistance amplifier will have no consequences for the frequency response/tonal balance/damping.

I assume that means I don't have to worry about impedance matching with the planar magnetic? The graph for the 650 didn't show much difference between using the headphones with either low or high impedance outputs.

Shame he doesn't have the monoprice headphones listed as I can get a good deal on those. Conicedently [ between the time of this and my last post here] I recentcly bought a monoprice xlr cable and was not impressed, the connector was super hard to attach to the point I was worried about causing damage by using it. Not a good first start with monoprice I will be sending it back to amazon. It has me second guessing buying the monoprice headphones specicially the m570

Bob-23

monoprice headphones specicially the m570

Here are some measurements of the monoprice - doesn't look that great (but most phones need some equalizing).

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...monolith-m750-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

rtings also offers measurements:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones

So does this adress:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/

And I'd take into consideration how comfortable a headphone is: the best-sounding phone is useless if your head, your ears are aching after a quarter of an hour! So, try it out before buying resp. make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit! (Earcup size, headband, weight ).

If impedance of a headphone is ruler flat, it's not affected by an amp's output impedance. Some headphones react strongly, others only mildly or very mildly. The AKG K702 which I like very much, belongs to the latter ones (it's btw big earcups and lightweight, but needs to be eq'ed and it#s brutally honest, not-forgiving - the HD600 is much more forgiving, you also hear the weak parts of a recording, but it's alright (if it's not too bad).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies that link to measurements was very helpful.

I assume that means I don't have to worry about impedance matching with the planar magnetic? The graph for the 650 didn't show much difference between using the headphones with either low or high impedance outputs.

Shame he doesn't have the monoprice headphones listed as I can get a good deal on those. Conicedently [ between the time of this and my last post here] I recentcly bought a monoprice xlr cable and was not impressed, the connector was super hard to attach to the point I was worried about causing damage by using it. Not a good first start with monoprice I will be sending it back to amazon. It has me second guessing buying the monoprice headphones specicially the m570
Some of the new gen of plan are very very low impedance and very current hungry (eg verum 1). Not an impedance issue, but maybe a power issue .

OP
R

Reggiejackson

Thanks for the links, Bob-23.

@Jimbob my audio interface seems to power the audio technica x40 I'm using very well, it has far more than enough juice. Set at 50% in windows I have to be cautious about volume settings on some apps to not blast me ears. I'm assume its pumping out enough energy I hope enough for a set of planars, although I have heard there are differences with voltage and current, which is pretty confusing

The M570s based on reviews seem OK for the price, expect for there seems to be an issue at 800hz frequency range. For the HD 6xx I will have to wait for them to drop, they cost more, and I won't have the option to send them back if defective as I'm not in the USA.

I need something that will sound good when I'm playing my guitar through amps sims. I'm thinking open back would be better to give a less boxy feel. And I would rather not have the extra expense of needing to buy a headphone amp.

OP
R

Reggiejackson

I went with the monoprice m570. I think there was defeinatly a impedence matching problem with my audio technica as the the difference at higher volumes on distored stuff is beyond the price difference. The problem I'm having with the M570 is the cable left and right that fit into the earcups are not firmly attached and they go out or flutter when I move my head and have to push them back this on day one. So I will have to send them back. I think all these headphones I've been looking at have the same setup though where the detachable cable doesn't lock in. Hopefully some of the other ones are more secure?

Bob-23

the cable left and right that fit into the earcups are not firmly attached and they go out or flutter when I move my head
When you move a lot while wearing headphones some kind of strain relief might be useful lest the cable should go out of the connector, i.e. fixing the cable by a zip tie at the headband so that no more strain is exercised on the connector. Doesn't look great but may work.

OP
R

Reggiejackson

Thanks. I actually fixed it. I didn't apply enough pressure to the cable, lol. I really had to force it then it snapped in. The headphones sound good but they are darn hot. I'm kind of wanting the hd650s now as they seem more open to me. I got a akg 240 that I like and would like something more like that.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Check out Neumann studio monitor headphones.

Bob-23

akg 240 that I like and would like something more like that.
Some of the AKGs have a decent sound stage - that's why like the K702. Have you considered the following on, it's a bit of an AKG copy:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm
I don't have it (earcups are to small) - many people like it. If you'd decide for it, get the velour earpads in addition (more comfortable/supposed to be better sounding)
https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_ear_pads_velour.htm
In particular for playing guitar, you don't need TOTL phones - I woudn't, btw, describe the HD650 as very open (but we all hear differently).
Edit: Cables use to break at the exit of the earcup - no problem to fix with a soldering iron. Or, when you get it from Thomann's, 3 years warranty - you'll get a new one.

Last edited:
OP
R

Reggiejackson

Listening to these M570 for a bit longer now they are way more clear than my audio-technica 40x, and they are soft sounding they don't hurt my ears at all, while the audio techs hurt my ears after not too long. I think this may be due to the impedence mismatch of the audio technica with my output?

The problem is the Audio technica sound better on a lot of metal stuff . Despite not being as clear, and being harsh. The M570s the heavy mutes on the low strings have no body. They do have way less distortion which I like.

I wonder if the hd650s would have this same problem?

I guess I still have to break them in though. If they don't get better I can always return them

Last edited:

Bob-23

the audio techs hurt my ears after not too long

There's a 10k peak in the audio techs which might cause your pain. You can try to cure it by modding the phones:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y5i5wbnmn43xn15/ATH-M40X_modifications.pdf/file

Try equalizing your phones, there's no perfect phone, and most phones profit from some eq'ing.

Impedance of the audio techs is relatively flat - that shouldn't be much of an issue:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-m40x.php#rw3

'Breaking-in' phones is mainly 'breaking-in' your ears.

OP
R

Reggiejackson

How do I "eq" the phones? I got a low and hi eq on my preamp. And the amp sims all have eq, or is there a way to specifically eq headphones?

Bob-23

How do I "eq" the phones? I got a low and hi eq on my preamp. And the amp sims all have eq, or is there a way to specifically eq headphones?

There are two ways of eq'ing phones (apart from modding the headphones themselves): hardware eq (in your amps) and digital eq. So, for instance, lower the hi eq on your preamp in order to cure the 10 kHzpeak of your audio techs. Try out, if it helps.

And there are several kinds of equalizers, some allow intervention in particular points of frequency response (parametric eq), others apply (wider ranging) shelving filters. A classic hardware shelving filter is the Baxandall, a rather 'organic' intervention in frequency response. (I just finished building one yesterday, works great on the K702). Inform yourself.

If you want to eq digitally, you can use certain programs - in Linux (which I exclusively use) there's 'pulseeffects'. There you can modify in a very detailed manner frequency response (filter type, gain, q-factor) either by simply experimenting, and trying it out, or by using filter settings others have already worked out. Here are, e.g., the Oratory1990 values for your audio techs:

1595059129135.png

Top Bottom