• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for front door 4 inch mid + tweeter speaker recommendations or reviews for BMW?

Destination: Moon

Hi,

Our new car unfortunately came thru with the base audio system. I'd like to upgrade the front doors speakers . Thinking that will be the best bang for the buck - effort Don't see any car audio reviews here on ASRbut hoping someone has some information with sharing.

The bigger players in this seem to be Focal, Audison, Match and Morel. The prices seem crazy but looking for a plug and play solution for our new X1 .
Any help is much appreciated

staticV3

Master Contributor
For a plug-and-play solution, a driver with identical impedance, sensitivity, frequency response would be required so that it won't mess up the tuning.

Should you find one that matches the stock driver in these aspects, then it becomes questionable whether it really is an upgrade.

Instead of buying new stuff for the sake of it, a more effective approach would be to determine what specific aspect of the stock system you want to upgrade (e.g. SPL handling of driver x, frequency response linearity of driver y, off-axis response of driver z, low frequency extension, ...), then figuring out how to achieve that.

gaz

I used Hertz speakers in my last build - they were awesome. Make sure to buy from a Hertz dealer, plenty of fakes around.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
D

Destination: Moon

For a plug-and-play solution, a driver with identical impedance, sensitivity, frequency response would be required so that it won't mess up the tuning.

Should you find one that matches the stock driver in these aspects, then it becomes questionable whether it really is an upgrade.

Instead of buying new stuff for the sake of it, a more effective approach would be to determine what specific aspect of the stock system you want to upgrade (e.g. SPL handling of driver x, frequency response linearity of driver y, off-axis response of driver z, low frequency extension, ...), then figuring out how to achieve that.

One of the major differences between the Base and factory upgraded HK system is the way the door speakers are arranged. My system sounds like it is a coaxial but it's mounted about a foot below your shoulders. The HK system adds separate tweeters that sit closer to ear level. I listened to one briefly and it sounded much better (It's not supposed to be anything miraculous, but I'd be fine with it if my car had that system).
The HK system has 12 cabin speakers, ours has only 7

As for deficiencies, sometimes it sounds ok but many times I notice a lot of loss in the mids. And sometimes the treble can sound shrill and sort of brittle.

I hear what your saying about tuning..... I don't really care about front to back balancing but there isn't an eq on the system to tune an aftermarket speaker. They have to be close to linear out of the box I guess (there usually is a switch on the cross over that will attenuate the treble output but it's stepped, not variable)

Top Bottom