• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for DSP options with optical out

Soundstage

the miniDSP doesn’t have a great DAC but you haven’t really given us enough information to really help you. You need to describe everything downstream from your streamer and what you are trying to accomplish. Presumably you have a DAC downstream already so one of the digital converters above should work fine but I have no idea if they will be detrimental to the signal. I suspect not.
My signal chain is: Pro-Ject streambox s2 (USB out only)-> Topping D70 -> Akitika Power Amp GT-102 -> KEF LS50
I am thinking of investing in the MINIDSP HD 2x4 to place between streamer and DAC. I have already the Umik for measurement, and I guess I'll have to buy DIRAC after that.

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
My signal chain is: Pro-Ject streambox s2 (USB out only)-> Topping D70 -> Akitika Power Amp GT-102 -> KEF LS50
I am thinking of investing in the MINIDSP HD 2x4 to place between streamer and DAC. I have already the Umik for measurement, and I guess I'll have to buy DIRAC after that.

I'm not an expert on this but based on my understanding, I would NOT put a MINIDSP HD 2x4 between your streamer and the DAC for two reasons:
1) You will need to convert the USB signal from the streamer to TosLink somehow.
2) The MINIDSP HD 2x4 will handle the DAC, basically rendering your D70 useless.

Instead, I would place it after the D70 so that is handling DAC and then feed a MINIDSP HD 2x4 (or regular non HD one) analog in and then analog out to the amp. I think makes the best use of what you already have. You could insert a nanoDIGI between the streamer and the D70 but then you have to deal with a USB to digital coax converter.

QMuse

Major Contributor
You could insert a nanoDIGI between the streamer and the D70 but then you have to deal with a USB to digital coax converter.

Which is IMO opinion a better solution.

Reactions: Bhh
OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
Which is IMO opinion a better solution.

I didn't realize you could feed the miniDSPs an audio stream via that USB until your post above so I agree completely. If I understand correctly, the nanoDIGI inserted between the streamer and the D70 would keep the entire signal digital until it hit the D70 which would handle the DAC and you have the fewest back and forths with the most capable device handling the conversion from digital.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I didn't realize you could feed the miniDSPs an audio stream via that USB until your post above so I agree completely. If I understand correctly, the nanoDIGI inserted between the streamer and the D70 would keep the entire signal digital until it hit the D70 which would handle the DAC and you have the fewest back and forths with the most capable device handling the conversion from digital.

Exactly.

Cheap USB to SPDIF converters do a job that is decent enough for the task. Topping D10 can also be used for that, it's cheap and it passed the test with flying colours.

Reactions: Bhh

dorirod

@Bhh did you ever find a workable solution for DSP with optical in and out. I'm in the same boat. Wanting something simple and not too pricey that just does DSP in the digital domain.

Thank you

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Pricey at $800, OpenDRC-DI is more affordable $325 but only 6 PEQ bands.

But it permits FIR Filters which don't have a numerical limitation.

I use an OpenDRC - DI

Example FIR filter result, frequency response and phase adjutments, measurement takken at preamp output.

Without the filters, both lines would be flat - no "correction".

1629072801300.png

dorirod

But it permits FIR Filters which don't have a numerical limitation.
View attachment 147706

Hmm I haven't learned about FIR filters yet. Do you know of an easy to follow overview?

If not maybe @amirm might some day oblige with a video of that topic :) ....m

What I was looking for is like a Qudelix 5K but just optical in and out, and doing the PEQ via an app. Not sure why they haven't thought of that. They have most of the pieces in place I would think. And even doubling the price would still leave it affordable.

Top Bottom