• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a solid 3-channel amp but small as possible

Terry Stahly

I have a Krell 700cx in my home system with 228be's and Martin Logan Balanced Force 21 subs. For my system in Florida which is in a hi rise condo I cannot crank it more than a moderate to high level I do not need a 200lb amp. I currently have a 85" 2020 Sony, Revel C208 and F208 L & R to be replaced with 228be just for ascetic reasons teh F208's are too small. I just started listening to real music two weeks ago been home theater primarly but added a Lumin T2 and getting into it.

Do not have much room as I have a Krell S-1500 and Home Theater reciever in the cabinet but I suppose I sould replace the S-1500 with a amp with some more balls and run the rears off the reciever and keep it hidden. Therefore looks not a concern or I would get a MacIntosh or something that looked cool. I just want close to or actual audiophile sound.

Attachments

• tv unit < drywalll lo res.jpg
    tv unit < drywalll lo res.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 162

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Three channel amplifiers were somewhat popular in the early days of multichannel 5.1 audio for early HT systems, but slowly faded away. Since most subwoofers these days are powered, and multichannel needs one channel of amplification, three-channel amplifiers make sense to me, even though I use a stereo ICEpower amplifier plus a matching mono amplifier for my 3-channel (3.0) sound with no subwoofer.

Hypex modules seem to be the most popular Class-D amp amp modules these days. The sound quality when driving normal loads should be excellent for the below amplifiers. Price differences and size/weight depend on variations such as expensive 3rd party opamps, one mono plus one stereo module vs three mono modules, shared vs discrete power supplies, and case construction and front panel thickness. I believe all of the below use XLR inputs, but if your AVR or AVP doesnt have XLR out, RCA to XLR cables are available and not expensive.

The only U.S. company that I know of that offers good Hypex-based three channel amplifiers is VTV Amplifiers of Ohio. They have a small form-factor three-channel amplifier with a Hypex stereo NC252MP plus a mono NC250MP in the case. At $850, this is the smallest and least expensive amp in the below group, and had it been available when I got my ICEpower amps, I probably would have bought this one.

VTV Hyoex 3-channel Amp.jpg

VTV also offers a nice unit [LINK] with three discrete Purifi 1ET400A modules and a big single Hypex power supply that provides extraordinarily clean power with 257WPC before clipping per Amir's test and review. [LINK]
VTV 3-channel Purifi Amplifier.jpg

Nord (UK) and Apollon (Slovenia) also manufacture high-quality powerful (up to 500wpc) three-channel Class-D Hypex, Purifi and ICEpower amplifiers. Both of those brands have excellent reputations among ASR members, and amps by both companies have been tested and reviewed by Amir. 3rd party opamps are offered by all three companies that can significantly increase the final price of a give amplifier, but I am not convinced that they add an audible advantage or improvement. Three discreet channels (triple mono) can provide more power when all three channels are driven to high levels simultaneously, but again, I am not convinced that such implementations are necessary and worth the money.

Nord 3-channel amp.jpg

Apollon 3-channel amp.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could do 3 NC400 models with 3 SMPS600NS400 power supplies in a 300 mm wide Ghent case, and roll you own. Ghent' case comes pre drilled and the SMPS power supplies come with all the hook up wire. Would take you all of 45 minutes to assemble and would measure and perform better for cheaper than something like the Nord with its "custom" Op amps and buffers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom