• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a new Pre

ErVikingo

I used to have a Audio Research SP8 which I loved but succumbed to a natural disaster (damaged beyond repair). I then chose to go with a Lexicon MC-1 as I was adding video to my system. My MC-1 is still kicking in my system (recently replaced the power supply) but I am wondering about replacing it (after a couple of decades).

My listening is mostly digital (SACD, DSD files, DVDA and streaming) these days. It must have remote volume control and ideally a volume display. Thus I am basically looking for volume control and I do like tubes (amps are Manley Snappers and Threshold 12e).

I have been looking at the following (none has a volume display) and wonder what the opinions are:

- Manley NeoClassic
- AVA Fet Valve CFR or Transcendence RB
- Primaluna Evo 400
- Decware Zen Triode Pre
- used Audio Research SP of Ref series
- Freya +

Thoughts? Really appreciate your input.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe this one fits your needs as an analog preamp. Display, remote control, good quality. Not tubed however.

Also if your listening is mostly digital maybe a DAC/Preamp makes sense. Or do you have analog input needs as well?

Willem

Major Contributor
RME ADI-2 DAC would be my recommendation for a modern preamp. There is now also a version with RIAA equalization on an analogue input. I really does not get any better, with tone and balance controls, dynamic loudness, some filters, and, of course, superb measurements and support.
This is of course if accuracy/neutrality are important.

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have a Audio Research SP8 which I loved but succumbed to a natural disaster (damaged beyond repair). I then chose to go with a Lexicon MC-1 as I was adding video to my system. My MC-1 is still kicking in my system (recently replaced the power supply) but I am wondering about replacing it (after a couple of decades).

My listening is mostly digital (SACD, DSD files, DVDA and streaming) these days. It must have remote volume control and ideally a volume display. Thus I am basically looking for volume control and I do like tubes (amps are Manley Snappers and Threshold 12e).

I have been looking at the following (none has a volume display) and wonder what the opinions are:

- Manley NeoClassic
- AVA Fet Valve CFR or Transcendence RB
- Primaluna Evo 400
- Decware Zen Triode Pre
- used Audio Research SP of Ref series
- Freya +

Thoughts? Really appreciate your input.
I take it you would prefer a tube preamp? Nothing wrong with provided you understand why you want a tube preamp. (I use a tube preamp myself.)

Do you need balanced input and/or output? Some on your list don't provide that, e.g. the AVA FET Valve CFR, though that preamp otherwise appeals to me a lot.

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

I take it you would prefer a tube preamp? Nothing wrong with provided you understand why you want a tube preamp. (I use a tube preamp myself.)

Do you need balanced input and/or output? Some on your list don't provide that, e.g. the AVA FET Valve CFR, though that preamp otherwise appeals to me a lot.
Tubes yes!

I don't need balanced but wouldn't mind. I have to run unbalanced to my "crossover" (servo controller) which only has rca. I could run balanced from DAC to Pre.

I agree the AVA is very appealing.

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Maybe this one fits your needs as an analog preamp. Display, remote control, good quality. Not tubed however.

Also if your listening is mostly digital maybe a DAC/Preamp makes sense. Or do you have analog input needs as well?

I have analog inputs coming from DAC and digital players. Not going back to vinyl....

I'll look into it. Thanks

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Following up on my thread, I bought a new ALLNIC L6500. Scheduled for delivery today. Blew the budget but the ALLNIC stuff I heard before ticked all boxes (except budget). I will report results.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Allnic the very most unreliable equipment I ever had any dealings with, shocking products, worse reliability , funny now but at the time…
All of the inputs on a pre-amp played the same tune, Park sent me another unit exactly the same!
Two power amps started to smoke, valves what a joke.
Good luck with yours.
Keith

Willem

Major Contributor
And all this when you could have had the far superior RME ADI-2 for a small fraction of the cost. Sorry.

Reactions: jae
OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Allnic the very most unreliable equipment I ever had any dealings with, shocking products, worse reliability , funny now but at the time…
All of the inputs on a pre-amp played the same tune, Park sent me another unit exactly the same!
Two power amps started to smoke, valves what a joke.
Good luck with yours.
Keith
I have and considered your experience(s) with ALLNIC. I hope the new designs have addressed those issues (and no new issues have popped up).

Regretfully I have had issues on brand new components from other brands in my history on this hobby (motorboating SAE amps, DOA Carver magnetic amp, melting crossovers, microphonics on tube preamps, dead outlets on power supplies, "high end" digital transports that would not recognize disks, a noisy motor or bearing on a fancy TT - should I continue?). I have also seen issues with some of the brands/components we swear by here on ASR (however here we mostly talk about measurements and not as much about reliability).

Having listed those i have never had an issue with my Sony ES nor with other high volume manufacturers. It shouldn't be but, as is the case with custom cars, low volume manufacturers will have higher rates of issues/defects than high volume manufacturers. But those are the products that, once ironed out provide IMHO the best performance.

I reiterate my comment above, I hope the new ones have addressed those issues (and no new issues have popped up). All fingers crossed and hoping to be pleased with the purchase. I know that prior preamps were (reportedly) prone to microphonics and other issues.

For what its worth, the warranty on ALLNIC is longer than most other MFGs (2 years), event the warranty on their tubes is longer than most (6 months). Hope I don't need it...

Cheers!

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

And all this when you could have had the far superior RME ADI-2 for a small fraction of the cost. Sorry.
I appreciate your comment but YMMV! Cheers!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I appreciate your comment but YMMV! Cheers!
I find it odd that an amplifier adding a degree of distortion, if indeed the Allnic adds audible distortion , can be considered to have ’better’ performance, than a unit which is transparent.
Keith

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

I find it odd that an amplifier adding a degree of distortion, if indeed the Allnic adds audible distortion , can be considered to have ’better’ performance, than a unit which is transparent.
Keith
On an older version of their pre-amps there were microphonics, (as confirmed by a friend/owner). I listened to the new version with a setup somewhat similar to mine and it was dead quiet and, to my ears, very transparent and stable through its range. I compared it to some of the current high resolving units and preferred it to most.

I do remember reading a description of one of their products (I think a power amp) which I found interesting that they highlighted the coloration and/or added distortion as a feature. I wondered if it was a "lost in translation" scenario.

We shall see!

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Well I've have a couple of hours of listening on it and love it!

Sound stage is larger than before, bass goes deeper. Tweaking speaker positioning.

TheloniousEllington

Well I've have a couple of hours of listening on it and love it!

Sound stage is larger than before, bass goes deeper. Tweaking speaker positioning.
I know it's much later, but I've owned an allnic h5500 phono stage for over 2 years and love the sound. It's tube, but not overly colored and has deep bass/ great frequency range. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Its very sensitive and dynamic, so I did have to buy alot of sound dampening products to isolate any vibrations that affected it. Once I did that, amazing.

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

I know it's much later, but I've owned an allnic h5500 phono stage for over 2 years and love the sound. It's tube, but not overly colored and has deep bass/ great frequency range. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Its very sensitive and dynamic, so I did have to buy alot of sound dampening products to isolate any vibrations that affected it. Once I did that, amazing.
I have mine just laying on my rack, no special isolation. I really like it!

Top Bottom