• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

looking for a HDMI audio extractor for a specific application

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having just procured an AVR to integrate into a 2 channel system in order to get 3.1 to improve dialog I have a slight problem to solve.

The AVR has built in streaming and digital radio I would like to take directly into the 2 channel system digitally, rather than via the analog pre-outs. It has no SPDIF 'record out' though.

I have discovered, and tested, that turning on HDMI audio out will get even non-HDMI sources such as radio and streaming out of the HDMI out connector and to the TV.

From there I can use the TV toslink out into the 2 channel pre-amp and it works well!

There are only two minor problems:
1) I need to have the TV on
2) I need to ensure TV audio output is set to PCM so that any raw DD/DTS streams are not accidentally sent to the 2 channel preamp. Which means on the rare occasions I might want to use ARC to get audio the TVs in-built sources back to the AVR I have to change audio decoding output to "auto".

To solve this I could use a HDMI audio extractor that:
- passes HDMI to the TV to at least 4k30 I guess
- supports ARC via a switch
- has either DD/DTS decoding or switchable EDID to ensure only 2 channel PCM is extracted.

The hard part seems to be the last in ensuring only 2 channel PCM is an option.

Locally I can see a few options:

- Cypress decoder/extractor or extractor only
- this one

I have not found one with switchable ARC as well which guarantees a 2 CH option is PCM only (rather than potentially DD/DTS bitstream)

Does anyone have experience with these sorts of devices?

OP
dougi

dougi

I think I have opened the field up to any HDMI extractor with ARC support.

The end of the chain DAC is an RME ADI-2 so I think it will mute when presented with AC-3/DTS bitstream as per below. So there is little danger if I accidentally send a bitstream signal to the DAC rather than PCM.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

OP
dougi

dougi

That looks perfect. Ships to Oz too. No manual though to confirm at the OREI site but cheap enough to take a punt. Cheers!

Top Bottom