• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a class D amp that goes down to DC or thereabouts....

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive that is apparently switches between ranges of operation good and bad.
If DC is bad then why amplify it?

Besides, where do you see the activation speed of the protection circuit?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Then why have DC response if it’s limited? Does the amplifier enters protection at 20kHz?
Because you have DC response by default and need to add components to have a high pass.
The protection is to ensure that supply rails are not shorted to the speaker. There is nothing to be avoided at 20 kHz.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I feed it (what's needed for) 100 watts of a 15Hz sine will it play it (even at -xdb depending of it's high pass) or is just academic?
I must admit I'm as confused.

"What puzzles me is that they state 3Hz at 10 watts (-3db) but 20Hz-25Khz at nominal power."

I've never seen that before but the other stuff looked OK. I am interested how you are confused. LoL.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If DC is bad then why amplify it?

Besides, where do you see the activation speed of the protection circuit?
I did some quick and fast developmental ideas and considered the speed and decided that this stuff is amazing.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I must admit I'm as confused.

"What puzzles me is that they state 3Hz at 10 watts (-3db) but 20Hz-25Khz at nominal power."

I've never seen that before but the other stuff looked OK. I am interested how you are confused. LoL.
I admit it's confusing the way I asked.
So:
They state 3Hz lower bandwidth but only at 10watts of power.
They state 20Hz at nominal power (1200 watts).

Is that (the reduced power even if they state that that 3Hz is at -3db) because of the high pass or just a measurement condition?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because you have DC response by default and need to add components to have a high pass.
The protection is to ensure that supply rails are not shorted to the speaker. There is nothing to be avoided at 20 kHz.
I understand but you have not answered my question: what does that DC response offer if it can’t be utilised fully to the amp’s spec?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I admit it's confusing the way I asked.
So:
They state 3Hz lower bandwidth but only at 10watts of power.
They state 20Hz at nominal power (1200 watts).

Is that (the reduced power even if they state that that 3Hz is at -3db) because of the high pass or just a measurement condition?
Show me the stuff. Ima sure there will be many that want to pipe in on this one.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Show me the stuff. Ima sure there will be many that want to pipe in on this one.
The PDF is here:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The PDF is here:

What am I looking for?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About 11 page are the full specs.
If you can decipher ,if it plays that damn 3Hz even at -3db at any power or not!
Okies. I have it opened what have you in mind?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Okies. I have it opened what have you in mind?
What I've ask in my previous post.
Because if it DOES reproduce all that below 20Hz I'll high pass them to the ground,I don't need them,it will be a waste of power plus my woofers will be much happier.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because if it DOES reproduce all that below 20Hz I'll high pass them to the ground,I don't need them,it will be a waste of power plus my woofers will be much happier.
Yeah, and if you do so what? No need for a such a low Ohms driver amp then.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About 11 page are the full specs.
If you can decipher ,if it plays that damn 3Hz even at -3db at any power or not!
But the topic is DC response…

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing we have ongoing here is the power transfer between the input DC?AC power and the PWM DC power +/- output and what is considered a short for the amp and at what frequency is the rise time too much and drains the power supply smoothing caps.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so -- maybe I am naïve (me?!?), but the pulse width for reproduction of DC by PWM ("Class D") would be very wide, wouldn't it -- or very narrow?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
so -- maybe I am naïve (me?!?), but the pulse width for reproduction of DC by PWM ("Class D") would be very wide, wouldn't it -- or very narrow?
A image from a O-scope would be very useful in estimating the calc.

Top Bottom