• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking at buying a used center speaker

JWAmerica

I can find both the B&W CDM CNT and the Thiel SCS3 at a pretty good price. I like the design but I can't find much information on either of them. Does anyone have any input? Other center speakers worthy of consideration? My budget is up to $500.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can find both the B&W CDM CNT and the Thiel SCS3 at a pretty good price. I like the design but I can't find much information on either of them. Does anyone have any input? Other center speakers worthy of consideration? My budget is up to $500.
Your center should match the design characteristics of your L-R. What stereo speakers are you using?

OP
J

JWAmerica

I don't believe in timbre matching. If the speaker is reproducing the audio accurately and has its crossover set correctly there should be no integration issues. Resonances and driver materials imparting a particular sound would be considered inaccuracies.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking more about dispersion characteristics…

I have a bias towards Thiels; I have owned a pair of the Thiel CS6 for many years. Very high quality construction with Thiels, but there could be a matter of age. The SCS3 midrange looks very similar to that of my CS6 which I quite enjoy.

However, I’d say that the KEF LS50 that I own also sound very similar to the CS6 in the midrange, owing to their similar concentric design and dispersion pattern.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With a $500 budget I would buy a Philharmonic BMR kit, rather than anything second hand.

Although the question of what speakers you have for your front left/right is a valid one. While timbre matching isn't necessary with modern EQ capability, a major directivity mismatch would ruin that possibility. The Philharmonic BMR has a wide radiation pattern, approaching 70 degrees. Something like a KEF Q350 is about 55 degrees. Anything horn loaded will be significantly narrower than that.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your setup can accommodate a single bookshelf, you could buy a single Revel M16 or other quality bookshelf available individually. Otherwise, looks like you are focusing on 3-way designs, which is good. Keep a look out for other 3-ways such as the Infinity RC263, the KEF Q models, or ELAC UC52 (https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/elac_uc52/)

Top Bottom