• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lockwood Loudspeakers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I like the pared down aesthetic of these Lockwood co-axials, Lockwood originally I believe made the cabinets for or the whole ‘Lockwood’ speaker using Tannoy drivers? They have a fantastic history, last time I heard Tannoys they were quite pleasant to listen to but very coloured, what should I expect from these?
IMG_3558.png

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've wondered about this myself. The Lockwood Major was the first loudspeaker I worked with professionally, and always had a soft spot for them. As Tannoy drivers are no longer available to other manufacturers, it seems Lockwood is now making their own Dual Concentric drivers, or have found someone to make them for them.

I've not seen any technical reviews of these, so have no idea how close they are to the original Tannoy DC drivers, or whether they have been improved over the originals' somewhat ragged HF response.

Nevertheless, these Lockwoods are the only ones I could be tempted to change my 801s for, if they are as good or better than the originals. After all, a slightly ragged response can be equalised with DSP.

S

DSJR

Major Contributor
My mastering engineer pal's boss was only too happy to change from Lockwood Majors to 801's as the Tannoy Lockwoods were judged very coloured in comparison.

Maybe the drivers are better these days than the ones used in the 60's and 70's, but I suspect they'll cost the earth and will sell in the far east...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Serge I believe the drivers are being made for them, but I will ask.
May I ask why might you change because I know you like your 801’s and they are sort of similar aren’t they even if it only because they are both studio monitors just from different eras.
I noticed the bigger of the Lockwood models appear to have a port of some description, were the originals sealed?
Very Best,
Keith

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Serge I believe the drivers are being made for them, but I will ask.
May I ask why might you change because I know you like your 801’s and they are sort of similar aren’t they even if it only because they are both studio monitors just from different eras.
I noticed the bigger of the Lockwood models appear to have a port of some description, were the originals sealed?
Very Best,
Keith
The Major was always vented, fitted with a 15" Monitor Gold in the ones I used. As to changing from my 801s, I'm unlikely to do this, I just like them too much. However, if I ever had to change, the Lockwood major, with an active DSP crossover would be very tempting. I just like Big Ones.

S

DSJR

Major Contributor
The Major was always vented, fitted with a 15" Monitor Gold in the ones I used. As to changing from my 801s, I'm unlikely to do this, I just like them too much. However, if I ever had to change, the Lockwood major, with an active DSP crossover would be very tempting. I just like Big Ones.

S
Wouldn't you still get the colouration and razor-sharp hf (and very messy response over 8khz or so)?

I can't bloody talk however - I've been wondering how the IMF RSPM IV's (KEF bass and mid drivers) would fare today. These and the 'improved' version of the III's and Ref Standard models were so effective in the days of the DC300A amp and master grade sources. I loved the AR LST's as well in a reasonable space, but I'm digressing again (sorry Keith)...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Please don’t apologise, I am just looking again at ‘interesting’ passive loudspeakers designs , but to be honest I am uninspired, for all the same reasons why I stopped representing passive designs years ago, I can’t help but think that would be better if it were active.
Keith

Please don’t apologise, I am just looking again at ‘interesting’ passive loudspeakers designs , but to be honest I am uninspired, for all the same reasons why I stopped representing passive designs years ago, I can’t help but think that would be better if it were active.
Keith
This prototype loudspeaker (the blue pair) can be interesting for you, it should be available as passive, as active and as DIY later this year. The passive will be upgradable to active, without soldering. It is a hand-made 6.5 inch wideband, one way speaker, in a closed box. There will be a bookshelf version, and a 4 inch version too. It worked really well even against those monster custom-made horns in a 70-80 sqm room (driven from a 10W amp) and in the meantime it had the fluidity and disappearing nature of the Falcon LS3/5a driven from a custom-made 200W Class D amp. We have a full Klippel measurement and it looks surprisingly good.

zsenak_szendro.jpg

Top Bottom