• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Line Level Converters... any measurements?

OP
M

mga2009

I am kinda confused about what (and how) you are trying to accomplish but I have 2 simple questions for you:
Q#1) Have you tried just taking the speaker outputs and connecting them to whatever/where-ever you want to feed it to (but at lower signal levels?)?
Of course, making sure to turn the Volume way down before doing so?
Q#2) Does this Onkyo have a (front panel?) headphone jack? Which, usually, is a (resistive) tap from the power amp outputs (going to the speaker connectors)?

1-. No. I assumed it does not work like that, reason why line level convertes exist.
2-. Yes, there is a headphone output, but this is only for 2 channel audio.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1-. No. I assumed it does not work like that, reason why line level convertes exist.
2-. Yes, there is a headphone output, but this is only for 2 channel audio.
Done! Okay! Right! Thanks!
Sorry! Gotta go! Sort my socks!

OP
M

mga2009

Done! Okay! Right! Thanks!
Sorry! Gotta go! Sort my socks!
I can see the irony on your comment, but I don't see any valid argument for it (plugin a speaker line level to another amplifier or using a HP output to drive another amplifier, both have no logic).

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this thread is a train wreck

ive been in this OP's position... if you have a nice integrated amp but it does not have preouts but you want to keep the amp then how do you hook up a power amp? some amps you can route it out the tape loop but that's kludgey too

i'm reluctant to use voltage to rca line out converters... I know they exist and they may even work well but they dont sit well with me

there's a particular line of budget to midrange integrated amps made by a famous brand that for some reason, does not have preouts basically precluding any upgrade path.

their higher end line does have preouts... but you probably dont need it given they have good power anyway

so basically i avoid that brand's low end line...it sounds like a marketing limitation to me

Peacemaker

Hi,

I would like to know if "line level converters" (that is the kind of device that converts your amplified output to an unamplified one so it can be fed to an external AMP or to the ADC of a DSP, typically used in car audio) affects negatively to audio quality.

What kind of perfromance you should get? Are they any measurements regarding this?

Can this be an easy way to get a 2vRMS+ output from an old receiver, so it can be fed to a better quality external amp?

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Did you solve your issue? Are you using a line converter?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes.
i'm reluctant to use voltage to rca line out converters... I know they exist and they may even work well but they dont sit well with me
No reason why, though. Passive voltage dividers are simply the fixed equivalent of the potentiometer that is in most preamps/integrated amps. You can build them or you can buy them and they work.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

No reason why, though. Passive voltage dividers are simply the fixed equivalent of the potentiometer that is in most preamps/integrated amps. You can build them or you can buy them and they work.
Main probem is you've already added much of the noise and distortion of the amp you are using as a preamp. Not much point then in feeding it to a "better" power amp, rather than just using the amplified signals as they are. At least that way you are not in additon adding the noise and distortion of the second (albeit better) amp.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Main probem is you've already added much of the noise and distortion of the amp you are using as a preamp. Not much point then in feeding it to a "better" power amp, rather than just using the amplified signals as they are. At least that way you are not in additon adding the noise and distortion of the second (albeit better) amp.
Right. I wasn't advising the OP to do this but, rather, to do it this way if he must.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

ive been in this OP's position... if you have a nice integrated amp but it does not have preouts but you want to keep the amp then how do you hook up a power amp? some amps you can route it out the tape loop but that's kludgey too

there's a particular line of budget to midrange integrated amps made by a famous brand that for some reason, does not have preouts basically precluding any upgrade path.

their higher end line does have preouts... but you probably dont need it given they have good power anyway

so basically i avoid that brand's low end line...it sounds like a marketing limitation to me
I used to avoid pre-outs on cheap integrateds after reading that some were basically useless because essentially they had poor gain and output impedance. Of course, they aren't "useless" but you need to know what they can drive to use them.

Sure enough, if you look here and in other forums you will find instances where people have upgraded first to difficult to drive speakers without checking, then a power amp to drive them because they had pre-outs on their old amp, then had to buy a new preamp anyway (or different power amp) because the pre-outs had insufficient gain.

If they can't be done properly at the price point, they aren't the most important features.

Inge

Hi dear community,
i'm interested to make that voltage divider to be able to input the speaker signals of my amps (a pioneer 85watts, teac 75watts and others) into my soundcard and mesure their frequency response but i don't have much knowledges on how to do this. Can someone guide me or show on pictures or video how to do this. How to connect the two resistors with the positive and negative wires of one channel on the amp? What resistors to use to get the job done? i want to test also all the amp that i will get in the future. Are their a risk of damaging my amp or audio equipments? I also plan of converting the output (speaker level) or passive subwoofers into line level to connect active speakers, so can i make with the voltage divider a converter than won't drop the volume much and what resistors will be needed in that case? Thanks in advance

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Walmart has a variety. Just buy one. By the time you buy RCA jacks screw terminals and an enclosure to make
a proper device you’ve spent more than for one from Walmart. Not sure why the link above says what it says. It goes to Walmart.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi dear community,
i'm interested to make that voltage divider to be able to input the speaker signals of my amps (a pioneer 85watts, teac 75watts and others) into my soundcard and mesure their frequency response but i don't have much knowledges on how to do this. Can someone guide me or show on pictures or video how to do this. How to connect the two resistors with the positive and negative wires of one channel on the amp? What resistors to use to get the job done? i want to test also all the amp that i will get in the future. Are their a risk of damaging my amp or audio equipments? I also plan of converting the output (speaker level) or passive subwoofers into line level to connect active speakers, so can i make with the voltage divider a converter than won't drop the volume much and what resistors will be needed in that case? Thanks in advance
Hi @Inge and welcome to the community!:)
Have you already searched through many posts on the subject matter... yet?
Sample Link
Before you go on and provide some basic details -- even the type of your sound card -- you may wish to learn what it takes to make worthwhile and accurate audio measurements.
As you can see, our ChiefFunOfficer seems to make some great/accurate measurements while he is sleep-walking, but by no-means it is to be taken as a simple endeavor.

Inge

Walmart has a variety. Just buy one. By the time you buy RCA jacks screw terminals and an enclosure to make
a proper device you’ve spent more than for one from Walmart. Not sure why the link above says what it says. It goes to Walmart.
I though about buying one but i was worrying about the signal being altered with all the components that i saw inside some of them and after reading here that a voltage divider is just a fixed potentiometer that don't degrade the sound and is done with only 2 resistors i though i could make it, 2 in series, connect jack cables and be set! It don't really need an enclosure, just an accurate sound to analyze my amps outputs and eventually use with a sub. Thanks for your answer, i will probably buy one if i can't make one quickly.

Inge

Hi @Inge and welcome to the community!:)
Have you already searched through many posts on the subject matter... yet?
Sample Link
Before you go on and provide some basic details -- even the type of your sound card -- you may wish to learn what it takes to make worthwhile and accurate audio measurements.
As you can see, our ChiefFunOfficer seems to make some great/accurate measurements while he is sleep-walking, but by no-means it is to be taken as a simple endeavor.
Hi pseudoid, thanks!
I've done some research on google and youtube but only read this thread on this forum! i thought it was something simple to do like this
but i will take the time to dig a little more and if it will be complicated, i will buy one as Gringoaudio1 suggested. Thanks for your replies.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As for what values to use the article is a guide. One guy used 10k and 1.2k 1/2watt in a car forum.
you need to be careful though. There are many amps now that operate in BTL mode, so both speaker terminals are outputting half the signal each. In this case you don't want to connect the black terminal to the RCA ring / ground with the risk of the audio pixies sending up the emergency smoke signals.

Inge

10k and 1.2k seems a good path, I will do some research before making this.
I will be using only at least stereo amps (pro audio or consumer, not car Amps) not bridged mono if that's what BTL mode means.
Thanks you both for the help.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
10k and 1.2k seems a good path, I will do some research before making this.
I will be using only at least stereo amps (pro audio or consumer, not car Amps) not bridged mono if that's what BTL mode means.
Thanks you both for the help.
Some stereo amps (especially the chip based amps) are using bridged mode for each stereo output.

Top Bottom