• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 +KC62 versus LS60

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well, using HDMI eARC currently, and seems to work well.

Incidentally I played around with some positioning last night, and swapped the Kii's and LS60's around, and that did change that upper-bass impact I mentioned above. The Kii's seem to benefit a lot from closer rear wall placement which reinforces the impact of that upper-bass. The LS60's benefitted from it too, but it also added a bit of bass bloat, and lost of a chunk of their exceptional sound staging. I guess they lack the cardiod design of the Kii's and need a bit more room to breathe.

A bit of tweaking, putting the LS60 about 1 foot from the wall, has produced the best of both worlds. I think a bit of EQ over the top, and they'll be one of the best systems I've had in my room (and I've had a few!).

The Kii's certainly have the edge in terms of clarify/detail retrieval, but its only really noticeable on a direct A/B switching - and the difference is minimal considering the Kii's are three and a half times the price.
I agree from my listening I find the cardioid designs just allow me to hear a little more into the recording, and this is corroborated by the in-room measurements which are always tiger through the mids with a cardioid design.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just spent an enjoyable morning comparing the KEF LS50 wirelessII to the LS60’s, in this particular case the 60 won the day.
I never prompt customers but this morning my visitor noticed immediately the slight ( he called it flabbiness) to the bass of the 50’s in comparison to the 60’s he thought and he may be right that it is simply the port of the 50’s which is the culprit.
Both KEF speakers and KC62 subwoofers are available for evaluation at Purité Audio London.
Keith.
IMG_3454.jpeg

muad

Just spent an enjoyable morning comparing the KEF LS50 wirelessII to the LS60’s, in this particular case the 60 won the day.
I never prompt customers but this morning my visitor noticed immediately the slight ( he called it flabbiness) to the bass of the 50’s in comparison to the 60’s he thought and he may be right that it is simply the port of the 50’s which is the culprit.
Both KEF speakers and KC62 subwoofers are available for evaluation at Purité Audio London.
Keith.View attachment 359292
Was that with the ls50 and sub crossed over?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can afford it get the LS60. Integrating a sub is extremely difficult. The words "just add a sub" should be banned around here.

muad

If you can afford it get the LS60. Integrating a sub is extremely difficult. The words "just add a sub" should be banned around here.
I was asking as a curiosity, just wanted to know how close the ls50m with subs gets to the ls60. I will never buy an expensive speaker with built in electronics... Especially from KEF.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was asking as a curiosity, just wanted to know how close the ls50m with subs gets to the ls60. I will never buy an expensive speaker with built in electronics... Especially from KEF.
Maybe you should read the R11 review and think in terms of adding a bass shelf and no subs. It's OK to be curious but the objective is a satisfying musical experience without going broke or nuts.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Was that with the ls50 and sub crossed over?
Yes LS60s versus LS50 wireless with KC62 sub, but the customer had very limited floor space so the 60s were always going to be a better fit.
The ‘connect’ app offers some preconfigured integration options or you can create your own ‘custom’ option.
The 60s are just that bit tighter , drums have a real thwack!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Erin measured the LS60s here,
It is quite interesting comparing the LS50 to the 60s we have a few subs as well and can even throw in the Sigberg SBS/Inkognito into the mix.
IMG_3448.jpeg

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about KEF LS50 META with a KEF Kube 10b/12b vs the LS60?

Would be waaay cheaper and at least the 12b sub would have more cone area than a Kc62.

Apart from integrating the sub rightly how far would this reach LS60 quality levels?

I gotta admit I would really really like a simple LS60 System and just forget about uograding ever again, but its just to expensive for my wallet.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Very recently a client compared the LS50II wireless here ( we don’t carry passive speakers) to the LS60’s and he preferred the 60s mainly because he found the ported design of the 50s to sound a little flabby compared to the LS60s.
The 60s certainly sound much more like Kii, Dutch&Dutch 8`c and Sigberg Audio’s SBS.1 and Manta which are all sealed designs.
Having said that if you have grown up with traditional loudspeakers you might easily prefer the 50’s as you said you will have to integrate the subs properly.
The LS60’s are literally plug ( adjust through their app) and play.
Keith
20240412_192559.jpeg

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very recently a client compared the LS50II wireless here ( we don’t carry passive speakers) to the LS60’s and he preferred the 60s mainly because he found the ported design of the 50s to sound a little flabby compared to the LS60s.
The 60s certainly sound much more like Kii, Dutch&Dutch 8`c and Sigberg Audio’s SBS.1 and Manta which are all sealed designs.
Having said that if you have grown up with traditional loudspeakers you might easily prefer the 50’s as you said you will have to integrate the subs properly.
The LS60’s are literally plug ( adjust through their app) and play.
KeithView attachment 365200
Dont the LS50s come with a plugs for the port? Have you experienced with those?

Thanks,
Michael

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
When the LS50s were released I had a pair here, but it is so long ago, I just find actives ( contemporary active designs ) just offer better sound quality and convenience.
I continue to look at passive designs but really can’t see any merit in them unless you enjoy continually swapping components.
Keith

Top Bottom