• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF ATMOS MUSIC STUDIO

mrbernini

hi all. im looking for help building out a kef 5.1 surround sound audio music setup for my music room. I mostly do dj stuff and want an immersive studio space. how many speakers would I need? im looking at maybe reference ones for the mains and a ref 2 for the center mid channel, and then not really to sure what else to add after that.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Perhaps if you are using the setup to produce music, you´d be better served with professional gear such as Genelec Ones. Not that KEF´s are bad speakers, but chances are you want/need a more precise setup.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's not really enough information here for any useful feedback. At a minimum, would need budget and room size. Also details on what "immersive" means to you - presumably atmos, but I'm not sure how one would DJ Atmos content? So some kind of upmixer would likely be involved, but from what device?

I do agree that Genelec Ones are a better buy than Kef Reference (meta?) series, if those are the only options on the table (although I'm not sure why that would be the case)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Sound on Sound did this topic a couple years ago: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/setting-atmos-mixing-room

TL;DR: they recommend at least 12 speakers (7.1.4) including the sub.

I would also suggest something like Genelec / Neumann for the surrounds as (I think) you will probably want narrower dispersion for this use case. KEF stuff is great but is typically a bit wide for a multichannel mixing studio.

I would agree that it depends on what you want to do with the final product, though. If you intend to create mixes and publish them you probably need a much more serious setup than if you're just doing it for fun.

Top Bottom