• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

just what is 'overpriced'?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Art Basel Miami was lampooned in Tom Wolfe's Back to Blood. Hilarious book.

Tks

Major Contributor
7 Billion people on the planet. Someone has to be suffering from mental damage on some level. We can't all be within some range of being considered as normal.

In all seriousness though. Most modern "art" and avante garde nonsense is pretty much fashion and a vehicle for investments/stores of wealth. The folks that delude themselves it's anything but that, believe it's also culturally relevant statement making. Totally unaware that is a revisionist's take on what art even is.

For me, I have one basic principle about art before anything else. Is that it has to have some sort of beauty to it. And after that I simply can appreciate the art more when I learn of the skill/difficulty bringing that sort of art into reality on a canvas or screen or whatever. If it's not beautiful on some level for me, I don't care if you brought me 50 of these banana's taped on a wall, I'd actually pay you to rid it of my sight.

Individualistic values of standing out in the sea of 7 billion people or their work/appearance creates these sorts of paradigms where people will value ANYTHING so as long as it creates a line of demarcation between you/your work/your interests vs others'.

No amount of banana's on the wall, will for me, EVER supercede one work of an artist like Antonio Corradini for example

While some will disagree with me, and call me "old fashioned" even though I'm in my 20's.. that's basically the only retort they have against the longest standing idea of what art has been considered by the majority of the population. So I am fine resting my case at the lunacy exemplification if someone thinks that banana on the wall would have more artistic value (or any monetary value as well) over what I just linked prior.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno - Mondrian did a pretty good job at exploring the line

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No amount of banana's on the wall, will for me, EVER supercede one work of an artist like Antonio Corradini for example
He seem to have a thing for hard nipples but very nice work.
Not on a level with Michelangelo's David but very good.
I won't comment on Miche's thing. :facepalm:

800px-%27David%27_by_Michelangelo_Fir_JBU002.jpg

Hypnotoad

A panel of experts said it greatly improves the sound quality of your system, the Banana is a special HiFi variety, it's more noticeable the more expensive your system is.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"just what is 'overpriced"?

Anything I can't afford. :p

Reactions: Tks

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Investment. I bet that banana goes straight on ice (freezer... liquid nitrogen?) and is sold for $240,000 in a year or so :p

Hypnotoad

That's the real answer. Wealth is relative to most people.

So true, oil sheiks for example would think of $120,000 as pocket change.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where is it? Can't even tell what I'm looking at

It's a painting of a Magnepan in bright light, with its shadow on the wall behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom