• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just plain crazy, or crazy like a fox?

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Recently I was in the market for a power amp, a/b, class d, 2-5 channels, how much power, discovered they aren't cheap! Then a light came on, how about an older Denon receiver with xt32 and support for the app? Room correction, streaming, pre outs, decent power, and usually pretty well reviewed. After an ebay search, I am the proud owner of two. Avr-x3300w/3400h for $550 total shipped. Both have 2 independent sub outs, and I doubt I will ever have a need for 9-13 speaker setup. Any thoughts/opinions, good or not so good?

Thanks

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you're not using them particularly as power amps, but yeah they should be fine if they meet your needs....why two, tho?

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Sounds like you're not using them particularly as power amps, but yeah they should be fine if they meet your needs....why two, tho?
I was going to cobble together a system in a spare room and had an unused dac. The thought of an all in one box with all the features was very appealing. If one was a good idea, two has got to be better?:facepalm:;):cool:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to cobble together a system in a spare room and had an unused dac. The thought of an all in one box with all the features was very appealing. If one was a good idea, two has got to be better?:facepalm:;):cool:
Two systems works. That's what spare rooms are for! (I have four avrs, 3 Denon based, in multich a/v setups, plus one 2ch in various rooms....I don't like selling old gear :) ). Those Denons with XT32 and a full set of pre-outs are nice features to have....just in case you want to later add power amps. Both can use the editor apps too.

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Exactly, we are definitely on the same page. I also have another Denon, they can get hot. Do you use any type of cooling/usb fans or such? Thanks

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, we are definitely on the same page. I also have another Denon, they can get hot. Do you use any type of cooling/usb fans or such? Thanks
Some get warmer than others but I have mine in somewhat restricted spaces so yes use fans....two are some simple coolerguyfans and recently picked up a fancier AC Infinity Aircom T8.

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
I was on Amazon looking at those, it appears where the exhaust is vented is one reason where the model letters differ. They do look very fancy, I like it!:cool: Do they seem to work well?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was on Amazon looking at those, it appears where the exhaust is vented is one reason where the model letters differ. They do look very fancy, I like it!:cool: Do they seem to work well?
Yeah mine is rear exhaust as that's the best direction for exhaust in my shelving. They're not quite as quiet as I expected, but in normal use I don't notice, especially if I have any sort of active ventilation for the room going (fan or air conditioner), takes a really quiet room for me to hear it from my seat. I have a dual fan with speed controller from coolerguys that is actually a bit quieter at its lowest setting. Some use Noctua computer fans. One caution on a usb fan with the avr's usb port is watching the draw it needs, they're not all created equal, and frees up your usb ports too. Model letters are more about model range, the number indicates exhaust direction....

ps Believe the top exhaust fans are a tad quieter....

Last edited:
Top Bottom