• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just got banned at Audiophile Style for pushing back against misinformation

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that is the problem.

Some guys, will claim Wire, and Capacitors change the sound Immensely, or Night and Day differences, when in reality, they fear a blind test to validate their claims.

It to me, is sort of trolling. Make a big claim that can not possibly be true, and they see who will bite, to argue back it can not be so.
It could be trolling, or they could be drinking too much of their own coolaid.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yes, he used people with technical knowledge to build up the site, and when it became obvious more money was on the subjective side he has found ways to keep those ads coming in. I stopped posting there shortly after he added the objective sub-forum. You clearly were a second class forum member if your views fit there. Similar to what happens at head-fi.
Wasn't computeraudiophile not a bit like hydrogenaudio at first? All about the tech and ABX tests for different compression formats and such?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Some guys, will claim Wire, and Capacitors change the sound Immensely, or Night and Day differences, when in reality, they fear a blind test to validate their claims.

It to me, is sort of trolling. Make a big claim that can not possibly be true, and they see who will bite, to argue back it can not be so.

It's not trolling. It's the fervent belief that one can hear differences caused by anything, from different wires, fuses, capacitors, to cable lifters... Supported only by flawed sighted evaluations, along with direct influence and confirmation from reviewers and other believers.

It's really enjoyable to change a power cord and to hear new details, bigger sound stage, more micro-dynamics, etc. True believers will never accept blind testing, measurements or anything else objective as these would shatter the illusion, the amazing world of alternate reality that they inhabit.

mansr

Major Contributor
Ah, but you get to hear your system and your music being lifted to new amazing heights with every change. It's a revelation, each time.
9bd.gif

Tks

Major Contributor
This the website that was talking about how the RME DAC was something people really should reconsider because it's not up to snuff from an audible performance perspective? That was a funny review back then if this was the place..

Steve H

Yep, I never had a night and day difference in audio. Everything has been incremental. But I've had my AR-4Xs in my office for 35 years and occasionlly do some mixing. I changed the wire within days of the purchase, about 10 years later I replaced the crossover with OEM parts and nine years ago I had the late Carl Richard refurbish them and install his crossover. All made small improvements nothing major but worth doing.

Geert

Major Contributor
It's really enjoyable to change a power cord and to hear new details, bigger sound stage, more micro-dynamics, etc. True believers will never accept blind testing, measurements or anything else objective as these would shatter the illusion
And that's why objectivists get banned. They're party poopers.

Just saw someone advising an AudioGD R7 DAC as the best DAC money can buy to a newbie on a Dutch subjective forum. I'm biting my tongue, but responding would only hurt me.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yep, I never had a night and day difference in audio. Everything has been incremental. But I've had my AR-4Xs in my office for 35 years and occasionlly do some mixing. I changed the wire within days of the purchase, about 10 years later I replaced the crossover with OEM parts and nine years ago I had the late Carl Richard refurbish them and install his crossover. All made small improvements nothing major but worth doing.
I had very few night and day until Dirac...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'd find it infuriating.

Yeah, if what they think they're hearing was actually true - that every goofball tweak or snake-oil "upgrade" actually made a notable change in sound quality...well just imagine where we'd be by now after more than half a century of audiophile zaniness! I mean back in the mid 80s when I bought my first nice system I got some expensive speaker wire too...it was 8 or 10 bucks a foot or something and I got 12 feet of it iirc. That was 40 years ago and somehow the boutique cable creators are STILL finding new ways to get more music out of that wire! lol

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
One of the interesting tidbits is that when ASR started establishing it's leadership position Chris did go and purchase a Audio Precision analyzer but didn't do anything with it.

On their forum someone mentioned they were going to chuck out their voltmeter, which I commented that I thought was a good idea.

Internally I was thinking it would be like me saying, “I was going to get rid of my helicopter.”
(I do not have a chopper and do not know how to fly one… so about as useful to me as his voltmeter was to him.)

D

Deleted member 36131

Another thread with a ton of misinformation in it and I'm another casualty of Chris Connaker's sanitizing the echo chamber.

Here's my YT video that finally did me in. Chris is insistent that I'm being rude/disrespectful when all I'm doing is challenging poor assumptions.

Its the same on almost every message board/forum.....the Big Fish [mod's, owner] gets and loves the attention from the little fish [groupies] they echo approved posts and suckup the the Big-Fish. Those who don't follow along are quickly identified and outed. I've been banned at Headfi, JRiver, Roon, MoOde and chased out of several others. These days/years I hardly if ever post and don't share anything.

I leave the message boards to the newbies bring up the same topics and the old timers chiming in with the same old answers. Then their are the 'audio-software' boards with the true diehards. Dead Horses like Rune Audio still have die-hards animating the dead horse to pretend its alive, the owners have long since moved on with their lives and contribute literally 0%.

Audiophiles are a strange and predictable bunch of folk....

D

Deleted member 36131

The Audiophile Paradox

On the one hand they believe better sound is achievable.

On the other hand, anyone who claims to have actually achieved better sound is criticized, attacked, mocked, doubted and heckled.

Top Bottom