• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just got banned at Audiophile Style for pushing back against misinformation

Holmz

Major Contributor
I think the price minimum was a pair of Wilson speakers he put in a rather inappropriate setting. After asking advice of members on getting some new speakers, and getting lots of good varied options, out of the blue his final choice was Wilson. Which of course became a very prominent advertiser from then on.

They were very used by then.

If you read post #9 again, I was referring to the selling quote of morals.
(Quoting @Jinjuku )

2M2B

Yes, he used people with technical knowledge to build up the site, and when it became obvious more money was on the subjective side he has found ways to keep those ads coming in. I stopped posting there shortly after he added the objective sub-forum. You clearly were a second class forum member if your views fit there. Similar to what happens at head-fi.
Yup on Head Fi you get hounded the moment you share anything objective. Even the Etymotic thread now just folk arguing over cables & folk who get mad if you point out the ER3XR is just a ER4XR with less treble & more bass made in China.

Their objective sub forum is a dumpster fire you can't talk about BA or Planar tech without the mod/few users getting mad they sound better. I've seen them resort to putting words in other's mouth as a excuse to shut them down when they get called out. The head mod of that sub forum is a total joke on how quick he will lash out.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I for one think it's very rude to interrupt people in their safe spaces! That is not very post-modern of you :rolleyes:

... for those who didn't know... My sarcasm switch is permanently fused in the "enabled" direction... deal with it ;)

litemotiv

I've seen them resort to putting words in other's mouth as a excuse to shut them down when they get called out.
I think these are usually the tell-tale signs that you are about to get muzzled or booted from a forum, when first other users and after that mods/admins start to resort to straw manning to shut you up. If you see through that and call them out for it, well then you're basically screwed since they have no other options but to silence you permanently, it's game over then.

Willem

Major Contributor
Apart from the Harbeth User Group which has a clear objectivist flavour, there is also a Harbeth Facebook group that has nothing to do with the company, but is managed by a Paul Yoo. It is full of subjectivist nonsense and claims that mega buck electronics and cables make night and day differences. Of course, measurements cannot possibly reveal these benefits, but golden ears can. In short, the usual stuff. I posted a few replies and after a number of ad hominen attacks I decided to dryly respond with links to measurements by the likes of Amir and Archimago. I was banned.

Katji

Major Contributor
Apart from the Harbeth User Group which has a clear objectivist flavour,
Quite clearly stated. And if I remember correctly, talk about amplifiers' sounding different is not allowed. As far as I know it's run by the boss, the company founder, engineer, old school - he probably got tired of that sht long ago.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Alan's a no nonsense guy, with clearly defined amplifier beliefs that tie in nicely with his product line ;)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Apart from the Harbeth User Group which has a clear objectivist flavour, there is also a Harbeth Facebook group that has nothing to do with the company, but is managed by a Paul Yoo. It is full of subjectivist nonsense and claims that mega buck electronics and cables make night and day differences. Of course, measurements cannot possibly reveal these benefits, but golden ears can. In short, the usual stuff. I posted a few replies and after a number of ad hominen attacks I decided to dryly respond with links to measurements by the likes of Amir and Archimago. I was banned.
That's the one where a poster told me I was mental for selling my Revox B77mk2 HS and tapes to a pal because the CD's of said tracks sounded better (my copies were a few generations out from the proper masters). I tried to log in a few days later and the entire page/group had disappeared to me - I took it that I was banned. Someone told me it was basically a dealer's page. There's another Facebook page somewhere between the two extremes and much friendlier all round.

Another thing is the continuous feeling in subectivist quarters that human ears and hearing are so much better than test gear, because things are claimed that cannot be measured (SPDIF, USB cables and ethernet switches the classic ones even now) and why isn't test gear better? Sadly, peeps like me can't start on about psychoacoustics or our eyesight being a lot of the difference (eye-fi) as it's peeing in the oncoming wind frankly.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Quite clearly stated. And if I remember correctly, talk about amplifiers' sounding different is not allowed. As far as I know it's run by the boss, the company founder, engineer, old school - he probably got tired of that sht long ago.

I think enough has been said on the HUG by people who do know a little more about amps now, for good reasons for *some* audible amp differences to be noted - level differences in a comparison being a huge factor in 'hearing' changes or differences, especially if there's a pause between hearing each amp.... The issue there is that those that know on that forum, realise you don't need to spend too much on a good amp to drive this brand's generic impedance curves (Yamaha 701 being a very good starting point if say, a Samson Servo 300, Crown XLS 1502 or Behringer A800 really is below the pale), but the need to keep hungry dealers happy is a huge consideration to maintain business in these more difficult times. I was going to add more, but best not to.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't get this position. There are poorly engineered examples that can. I had two Parasound HCA 1000A's that had audible hiss. My Crown XLS that I replaced them with was dead silent.

That was night and day. I could turn the gain down but then my output became anemic. This was being driven at the time with an Emotiva DC1-A that had quite a robust pre-amp section (7v I believe).

sq225917

Major Contributor
I believe the phrase is competently designed amps run beneath their clipping point. No one thinks all amps sound the same..

Newman

Major Contributor
I don't get this position. There are poorly engineered examples that can. I had two Parasound HCA 1000A's that had audible hiss.
But surely you know that is not the sort of 'amp sound' discussion that he banned.

Newman

Major Contributor

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whats with the name of that forum? Who are they pitching at?

Top Bottom