• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

JBL tower opinions or objective reviews for HT | Studio 590 vs A190

I'm targeting Revel 228/208 and C208 for my home theater LCR speakers, but while I work to getting there, I would like to try matching the current Infinity RC263 with JBL towers. (I'm running the Infinity R263 as I bought the system for exploration, incl. two Ref R12 subs) I'm hoping for more dynamics to the sound while maintaining some objective neutrality/accuracy, and Harman family design. I have a fairly large room in my rec level dedicated as the HT (23x27 rectangle is the working area, that is heavily treated - but has more space sectioned off - the room itself is fully enclosed with 9' ceilings) It's a 7.4.4 system with plenty of power (an AVR and multi-channel amp), and hoping for bit more lively dynamics to the sound. The larger drivers in the A190 and Studio 590 might provide more dynamics but hard to find any solid reviews of these. (I know of the A130 review) Anyone with experience with both care to share insights/opinions?

Why not the matching R253/263 towers when theyre back on refurb/sale?

I run R253's in stereo and am very happy. They are meh on music but great for tv/movies imo.

I also have JBL 530's and like them more than the Infinity's; I use them for music. I imagine the 580/590's would slap.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have JBL 530's and like them more than the Infinity's; I use them for music. I imagine the 580/590's would slap.
I had a similar experience. I own the R263s, but I did a direct comparison with the 580 last year while holding them for a friend, and I slightly preferred the 580. Not a fan of the looks, but they sound excellent for $800/pair(sale price) and have good dynamic capability. I'm pretty confident that they'd measure well(given the 530 measurements), but I suppose there is no guarantee.

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Why not the matching R253/263 towers when theyre back on refurb/sale?

I run R253's in stereo and am very happy. They are meh on music but great for tv/movies imo.

I've noted that I'm currently running R263s, RC263 and two R12 subs... and has been noted by you and many others, as well as myself, the Infinity's represent great value, measure pretty well, and are overall good speakers - but I'm trying to move on, but in a hybrid, ongoing exploration to find a system that has a bit more dynamics to the sound. So for the immediate near term, I'd like to try JBL Studio 590s or A190s with the 8" woofers to see if the sound becomes a bit more lively - so really looking for any insight between the referenced pair.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
I had a similar experience. I own the R263s, but I did a direct comparison with the 580 last year while holding them for a friend, and I slightly preferred the 580. Not a fan of the looks, but they sound excellent for $800/pair(sale price) and have good dynamic capability. I'm pretty confident that they'd measure well(given the 530 measurements), but I suppose there is no guarantee.
Yeah, I have to believe the 580/590 or A190 will have more 'subjective' impact... I'm just a bit unsure which would make a better pair between the 580/590 or the A190. The Infinity setup with R263, RC263 and even the Ref R12 subs (subs are muddy, and doesn't go below 29hz) - are great speakers, unbelievable value (on sale)... and objectively are neutral/accurate, but subjectively, it's very 'lifeless.' I have grown to love certain 'house sounds'... my stereo system set up in the same room has Aerial 10Ts, old but amazing visceral impact to the sound. I don't need that for HT, but would like a bit more than the Infinitys. (I'm hoping to move to Revel 228/208 and C208 for the LCR eventually)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I have to believe the 580/590 or A190 will have more 'subjective' impact... I'm just a bit unsure which would make a better pair between the 580/590 or the A190. The Infinity setup with R263, RC263 and even the Ref R12 subs (subs are muddy, and doesn't go below 29hz) - are great speakers, unbelievable value (on sale)... and objectively are neutral/accurate, but subjectively, it's very 'lifeless.' I have grown to love certain 'house sounds'... my stereo system set up in the same room has Aerial 10Ts, old but amazing visceral impact to the sound. I don't need that for HT, but would like a bit more than the Infinitys. (I'm hoping to move to Revel 228/208 and C208 for the LCR eventually)
Oh, I didn't realize you already owned the R263. For some reason I thought you just meant the center :facepalm:. IMO the R263 has the same "house sound" as the 580s that I heard. They sound much more similar than different.

Best bet would probably be to use Crutchfield's 60 day return window. I think returns are free for bookshelfs and $10 for towers, which is amazing. Try em out and see what you think.

Lol, same, I read it as the RC263 and sub, my bad; missed the R263 in there.

Id probably just save your money to jump to the Revel you want instead of incremental gains.

david123

I prefer 590 over 190. The high end from compression driver in 590 sounds more natural than the 190. The 190 is a bit too much at the high end, and it makes the high sounds not integrated very well with middle/low. I do not use any EQ. Certainly this is only my personal pereference. I'm sure 190 may sound better to others.

OP
S
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for sharing your observations... as noted, you're in rare company, it seems, of folks that have heard both the 590 and A190. I'm still casually looking for Revels for the LCR channels, but may pick up either the 590s or A190s as a step-gap exploration to how well they work in my room, with the Infinity RC263.

Most recently, I had swapped in a Revel C205 for the center, and went back to the RC263 - the latter sounds fuller, and just as detailed.