• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL tower opinions or objective reviews for HT | Studio 590 vs A190

OP
S

strummr

If you can test them, better

I don't have any plan to use sub, my solution was make a filter with the Apo EQ for make their sub bass slope stronger. something around 5dB, with that filter i enjoy so much the dynamic's capabilities but im consider to reduce a little the slope because its a lot.
Any way, that slope make the sub bass stronger that should be, but i find that fun
I don't use filters for the UNIQ range because i like their tonality.
View attachment 165961
Yeah, I think you're doing it right with the KEFs. I have an Umik and I've run some measurements on various systems, and I have frustratingly, spent too many hours on integrating subs (I have a total of 6 different systems in the house with subs, 2 just in my office! it's a sickness). I'd like to simplify the HT optimizations, maybe transition to Dirac, but right now, without miniDSD modules, I'm relegated to Audyssey, then manual speaker/CO adjustments on my Marantz 7013. (separate amp for the LCR channels)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yeah, I think you're doing it right with the KEFs. I have an Umik and I've run some measurements on various systems, and I have frustratingly, spent too many hours on integrating subs (I have a total of 6 different systems in the house with subs, 2 just in my office! it's a sickness). I'd like to simplify the HT optimizations, maybe transition to Dirac, but right now, without miniDSD modules, I'm relegated to Audyssey, then manual speaker/CO adjustments on my Marantz 7013. (separate amp for the LCR channels)
When i had the R300 my unique complain was the bass driver start to clip too early, but the R7 can go much louder, the bass driver are very different. Thanks to that room i can EQ the sub bass slope, the kef r7 has 2 ports: one at 40hz like the R3 and another at 31hz. The R7 can go deep but their slope is not that strong like the Kef reference 3.
but EQ exists :D
Anyway i find too anoying intregate too many things, i just wanted to use 2 main speakers and my purifi eval1+EQ. Very simple.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, but I gave the 590s a deep look, and researched as much as I could, and I have no doubt they are good speakers, AND they were on sale for half price (just ended the other day)... but decided the aesthetics were too odd, and I also wanted to place Atmos toppers (yeah, I know not ideal, but I've not committed to cutting holes in the ceiling yet), and the design precludes that even. I'll move the R263s as my rear surrounds (with Atmos toppers... lol).
The looks aren't for everyone. I like them myself but don't consider any speakers to be particularly good looking, hard to make coffin boxes do that :). During those regular less than half price sales the value is very good.

OP
S

strummr

The looks aren't for everyone. I like them myself but don't consider any speakers to be particularly good looking, hard to make coffin boxes do that :). During those regular less than half price sales the value is very good.
and it's not like the F208s are beautiful either. :D The KEFs, however, are good looking speakers, and the sound seems as expected with the measurements - but a bit on the thin side; I listened to the R11 and R3 last week (they didn't have the R7) at a local store.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
and it's not like the F208s are beautiful either. :D The KEFs, however, are good looking speakers, and the sound seems as expected with the measurements - but a bit on the thin side; I listened to the R11 and R3 last week (they didn't have the R7) at a local store.
Yeah i think their slope make the sound more dull or thin, the references have a stronger slope.

These drivers from R series can play loud and clean but their slope is what it is. More apropiat for smaller places i'd say.

The R11 should sound stronger in his slope but still aren't Kef reference slope.

The problem i think, a different slope its requieres for every places due to its size, smaller room gonna need a weaker slope and bigger room gonna needs a stronger slope 100hz-20hz..

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Waiting for stock on A190s became a major PITA, and then it not being discounted, knowing they get slashed near 50%, became the last bit trying my patience (I even have a 20% discount credit with Harman). The 590s are too aesthetically odd for me, and after waffling back and forth between KEF R7s or F208s as my next option, I just pulled the trigger on F208s for the HT fronts - I'll see how well they work with the RC263 or the C205 I have... or I may need to continue looking for a C208 or something else. (KEF R2c?) The R7 might have made more sense since I have 4 subs in the HT room, but I'll leave that as the next line to explored. :facepalm:

Ha, love the jump from looking at A190 to R7/F208 :D. F208 should sound excellent!

OP
S

strummr

Ha, love the jump from looking at A190 to R7/F208 :D. F208 should sound excellent!
well, the Revels were to be my 'end game' for the LCR speakers on my HT system, and based on the recent challenges of getting the right JBLs, decided to skip the incremental steps in the Harman lineup. :D And of course, if I find add'l tweaking needs to come sooner than later (highly likely, as this will be my 6th brand system for the HT in 3 years) - I want to try the KEFs next.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well, the Revels were to be my 'end game' for the LCR speakers on my HT system, and based on the recent challenges of getting the right JBLs, decided to skip the incremental steps in the Harman lineup. :D And of course, if I find add'l tweaking needs to come sooner than later (highly likely, as this will be my 6th brand system for the HT in 3 years) - I want to try the KEFs next.
In the long run, it's cheaper just go with the "end game" speaker from the start, at least that's the case with me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose if you like looking at cones....but none really get beyond the coffin box thing.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Being a coffin table was never a bad thing :) the measurements gonna say if its bad or not.

Just from the aesthetics point of view was all I'm talking about. Speakers as furniture don't really mean a lot to me, tho.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the long run, it's cheaper just go with the "end game" speaker from the start, at least that's the case with me.
It is like this probably in every hobby, but often the long stony path and search is the fun and educative part of it. :D

OP
S

strummr

And deprive yourself of all the maddening measurements, tweaking, money wasted, wife-annoyed, and last but not least, diminished return on investment? ;) My main system is near 'end game'... I've been looking for 10 years to replace my Aerial 10Ts, and haven't found a pair that I like better, and through the many preamps, DACs, streamers, cables, turntables... and of course amps, happy with my Sugden Masterclass preamp, driving D90 DAC, Auralic Aries streamer, Clearaudio turntable, Parasound JC2 (yes, I'm sure it measures poorly), and a Purifi (March Audio) amp... which replaced numerous versions of monoblocks. It's the journey... ;)

OP
S

strummr

I suppose if you like looking at cones....but none really get beyond the coffin box thing.
Do you mean the 590s? or the Revels? and yes, if you're looking at the speakers without grills... most do not look great, the KEFs, however, do. The overall shape and the alien-lifeform waveguide of the 590s are too much IMO, the Revels just look too wide, doesn't look very sophisticated. But I'm trying to focus on function over form, and looking for a good match with the center as well.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean the 590s? or the Revels? and yes, if you're looking at the speakers without grills... most do not look great, the KEFs, however, do. The overall shape and the alien-lifefrom waveguide of the 590s are too much IMO, the Revels just look too wide, doesn't look very sophisticated. But I'm trying to focus on function over form, and looking for a good match with the center as well.
All of them. Still boxes. I don't particularly care for looking at speaker cones either.... YMMV :)

OP
S

strummr

So to bring the post and original question to some closure... never did get to assess either the Studio 590s or A190, but I will say, the Revel F208s seem to integrate nicely with the RC263 (initial test tones sound indiscernible from each other - I haven't hooked up the C205 yet, but will try it soon - I remembered it being less 'dynamic' than the RC263). It's not a perfect setup yet, but currently running the Revels with the main HT system, and I've worked in 4 subs (four corners of the listening area). The f208s sound amazing... haven't A/B tested them (subjectively) with the stereo system sitting next to them yet (Ariel 10T, Sugden Masterclass preamp, Topping D90, Auralic Aries, and March Audio purifi amp), but I'm expecting them to be more linear in music mode -obviously, but probably not as dynamic as the rock concert, house sound of the Ariels.

2021-11-24_AV-system-HTrm.jpg

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
So to bring the post and original question to some closure... never did get to assess either the Studio 590s or A190, but I will say, the Revel F208s seem to integrate nicely with the RC263 (initial test tones sound indiscernible from each other - I haven't hooked up the C205 yet, but will try it soon - I remembered it being less 'dynamic' than the RC263). It's not a perfect setup yet, but currently running the Revels with the main HT system, and I've worked in 4 subs (four corners of the listening area). The f208s sound amazing... haven't A/B tested them (subjectively) with the stereo system sitting next to them yet (Ariel 10T, Sugden Masterclass preamp, Topping D90, Auralic Aries, and March Audio purifi amp), but I'm expecting them to be more linear in music mode -obviously, but probably not as dynamic as the rock concert, house sound of the Ariels.

View attachment 168710
Wow. 263 is best center I have ever owned. Of course,. I am not comparing to 3 way Revel.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
My HT and stereo setup with 2xR263, RC263, 6xR162, 4xR12 in 5.4.4, waiting for Onkyo TX-RZ50 to complete it.
Great price/performance at Infinity's lowest deal price that happens multiple times per year.
You can spot the @Buckeye Amps NC502MP for the front, center and rear - my exploration of AVR vs better power amp and preparation for the eventual AVP in a few years.

Btw I stuffed the ports of all speakers and subs with foam - planning to do some measurements and comparison of stuffed vs not. All the speakers are rear-ported and I can't pull them away from the walls so I thought I could cut some of their low end, being crossed over at 80Hz anyway.
Couldn't find any good info around on the topic to validate my assumptions, I'd appreciate if someone can share experience or a resource on stuffing speaker and sub ports. I'll measure and experiment myself after RZ50 arrives.

Overall pretty happy with the system currently with Denon AVR-X3500 even after very basic calibration with MiniDSP 2x4HD for the subs and Audyssey for the speakers.

Infinity R263 RC263 R12 HT setup.jpg

Here's the Audyssey data - my curve and the speaker measurements. It's obvious my bass needs more than the quick REW measurement and EQ I did. Four subs provide great potential and it will take some learning and time to get right.

1 - Preference Curve.png

2 - Front Left - R263.png

3 - Front Right - R263.png
4 - Center - RC263.png

5 - Surround Left R162.png

6 - Surround Right R162.PNG

7 - Front Height Left R162.png

8 - Front Height Right R162.png

9 - Subwoofers 4x R12.png

Top Bottom