• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL tower opinions or objective reviews for HT | Studio 590 vs A190

strummr

I'm targeting Revel 228/208 and C208 for my home theater LCR speakers, but while I work to getting there, I would like to try matching the current Infinity RC263 with JBL towers. (I'm running the Infinity R263 as I bought the system for exploration, incl. two Ref R12 subs) I'm hoping for more dynamics to the sound while maintaining some objective neutrality/accuracy, and Harman family design. I have a fairly large room in my rec level dedicated as the HT (23x27 rectangle is the working area, that is heavily treated - but has more space sectioned off - the room itself is fully enclosed with 9' ceilings) It's a 7.4.4 system with plenty of power (an AVR and multi-channel amp), and hoping for bit more lively dynamics to the sound. The larger drivers in the A190 and Studio 590 might provide more dynamics but hard to find any solid reviews of these. (I know of the A130 review) Anyone with experience with both care to share insights/opinions?

AudioAaron

Why not the matching R253/263 towers when theyre back on refurb/sale?

I run R253's in stereo and am very happy. They are meh on music but great for tv/movies imo.

I also have JBL 530's and like them more than the Infinity's; I use them for music. I imagine the 580/590's would slap.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have JBL 530's and like them more than the Infinity's; I use them for music. I imagine the 580/590's would slap.

I had a similar experience. I own the R263s, but I did a direct comparison with the 580 last year while holding them for a friend, and I slightly preferred the 580. Not a fan of the looks, but they sound excellent for $800/pair(sale price) and have good dynamic capability. I'm pretty confident that they'd measure well(given the 530 measurements), but I suppose there is no guarantee.

OP
S

strummr

Why not the matching R253/263 towers when theyre back on refurb/sale?

I run R253's in stereo and am very happy. They are meh on music but great for tv/movies imo.

I've noted that I'm currently running R263s, RC263 and two R12 subs... and has been noted by you and many others, as well as myself, the Infinity's represent great value, measure pretty well, and are overall good speakers - but I'm trying to move on, but in a hybrid, ongoing exploration to find a system that has a bit more dynamics to the sound. So for the immediate near term, I'd like to try JBL Studio 590s or A190s with the 8" woofers to see if the sound becomes a bit more lively - so really looking for any insight between the referenced pair.

OP
S

strummr

I had a similar experience. I own the R263s, but I did a direct comparison with the 580 last year while holding them for a friend, and I slightly preferred the 580. Not a fan of the looks, but they sound excellent for $800/pair(sale price) and have good dynamic capability. I'm pretty confident that they'd measure well(given the 530 measurements), but I suppose there is no guarantee.
Yeah, I have to believe the 580/590 or A190 will have more 'subjective' impact... I'm just a bit unsure which would make a better pair between the 580/590 or the A190. The Infinity setup with R263, RC263 and even the Ref R12 subs (subs are muddy, and doesn't go below 29hz) - are great speakers, unbelievable value (on sale)... and objectively are neutral/accurate, but subjectively, it's very 'lifeless.' I have grown to love certain 'house sounds'... my stereo system set up in the same room has Aerial 10Ts, old but amazing visceral impact to the sound. I don't need that for HT, but would like a bit more than the Infinitys. (I'm hoping to move to Revel 228/208 and C208 for the LCR eventually)

Reactions: SMc

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I have to believe the 580/590 or A190 will have more 'subjective' impact... I'm just a bit unsure which would make a better pair between the 580/590 or the A190. The Infinity setup with R263, RC263 and even the Ref R12 subs (subs are muddy, and doesn't go below 29hz) - are great speakers, unbelievable value (on sale)... and objectively are neutral/accurate, but subjectively, it's very 'lifeless.' I have grown to love certain 'house sounds'... my stereo system set up in the same room has Aerial 10Ts, old but amazing visceral impact to the sound. I don't need that for HT, but would like a bit more than the Infinitys. (I'm hoping to move to Revel 228/208 and C208 for the LCR eventually)

Oh, I didn't realize you already owned the R263. For some reason I thought you just meant the center :facepalm:. IMO the R263 has the same "house sound" as the 580s that I heard. They sound much more similar than different.

Best bet would probably be to use Crutchfield's 60 day return window. I think returns are free for bookshelfs and $10 for towers, which is amazing. Try em out and see what you think.

AudioAaron

Lol, same, I read it as the RC263 and sub, my bad; missed the R263 in there.

Id probably just save your money to jump to the Revel you want instead of incremental gains.

david123

I prefer 590 over 190. The high end from compression driver in 590 sounds more natural than the 190. The 190 is a bit too much at the high end, and it makes the high sounds not integrated very well with middle/low. I do not use any EQ. Certainly this is only my personal pereference. I'm sure 190 may sound better to others.

OP
S

strummr

Thanks for sharing your observations... as noted, you're in rare company, it seems, of folks that have heard both the 590 and A190. I'm still casually looking for Revels for the LCR channels, but may pick up either the 590s or A190s as a step-gap exploration to how well they work in my room, with the Infinity RC263.

Most recently, I had swapped in a Revel C205 for the center, and went back to the RC263 - the latter sounds fuller, and just as detailed.

OP
S

strummr

Just check if you made the decision? @strummr

I have not. I came close to working out a deal for some F208s, but too far and finding a matching C208 has been difficult (I'd rather keep them mint/used, but that means someone within ~250 miles). On the JBL front, I want to try the A190s over the Studio 590s, but they have been out of stock for awhile now.

OP
S

strummr

Studio 290 are great if you can find. JBL sells occasionally.
Nice reco... wasn't even aware of the 290s. but alas, like all 'desirable' JBL passives, most are unavailable, and I look regularly; good thing the current Infinity Ref system is more than adequate. I may just end up going with Revel F208s...

OP
S

strummr

I have not. I came close to working out a deal for some F208s, but too far and finding a matching C208 has been difficult (I'd rather keep them mint/used, but that means someone within ~250 miles). On the JBL front, I want to try the A190s over the Studio 590s, but they have been out of stock for awhile now.
Waiting for stock on A190s became a major PITA, and then it not being discounted, knowing they get slashed near 50%, became the last bit trying my patience (I even have a 20% discount credit with Harman). The 590s are too aesthetically odd for me, and after waffling back and forth between KEF R7s or F208s as my next option, I just pulled the trigger on F208s for the HT fronts - I'll see how well they work with the RC263 or the C205 I have... or I may need to continue looking for a C208 or something else. (KEF R2c?) The R7 might have made more sense since I have 4 subs in the HT room, but I'll leave that as the next line to explored. :facepalm:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Waiting for stock on A190s became a major PITA, and then it not being discounted, knowing they get slashed near 50%, became the last bit trying my patience (I even have a 20% discount credit with Harman). The 590s are too aesthetically odd for me, and after waffling back and forth between KEF R7s or F208s as my next option, I just pulled the trigger on F208s for the HT fronts - I'll see how well they work with the RC263 or the C205 I have... or I may need to continue looking for a C208 or something else. (KEF R2c?) The R7 might have made more sense since I have 4 subs in the HT room, but I'll leave that as the next line to explored. :facepalm:
I have the R7, these towers have a gentleman slope 100->20 hz, if you have subs ( 4 lol ), with 4 subs these towers maybe gonna be easier to integrate
Yeah maybe these 8'' gonna require more room treatment.
I'd say the Revel f208 gonna be something wider less focused with stronger sub-slope and more extension, i'd say more energy in highs and mid-high frequency's.
The kef more narrow and focused stage with weaker slope in sub-bass also less extension, more smooth and relaxed sound.

OP
S

strummr

I have the R7, these towers have a gentleman slope 100->20 hz, if you have subs ( 4 lol ), with 4 subs these towers maybe gonna be easier to integrate
Yeah maybe these 8'' gonna require more room treatment.
I'd say the Revel f208 gonna be something wider less focused with stronger sub-slope and more extension, i'd say more energy in highs and mid-high frequency's.
The kef more narrow and focused stage with weaker slope in sub-bass also less extension, more smooth and relaxed sound.
I think you're probably right about the KEFs... just on expectations alone, there will be a bias that it'll be more smooth and relaxed. ;) But for my HT system, heck even with my critical listening system (which sits in the same room with a completely separate signal/equipment path), I prefer deep dynamics - which often times means: more bass-heavy house sound. (yes, there are multiple subs involved... but I expect to integrate only 2 with the F208s - the Monolith THXs) I bought them from Crutchfield (fairly local to me), so if the sound is too much, or not to my liking - I'll return them and get the R7s and the R2c for the next set.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A little late perhaps but there was a 590 review with measurements done by an Australian Hi-Fi mag some years back....I have a copy even tho I can't find a link to the site any more....so pm me if interested and I'll email it to you. Too big for an attachment here....

OP
S

strummr

A little late perhaps but there was a 590 review with measurements done by an Australian Hi-Fi mag some years back....I have a copy even tho I can't find a link to the site any more....so pm me if interested and I'll email it to you. Too big for an attachment here....
Thanks, but I gave the 590s a deep look, and researched as much as I could, and I have no doubt they are good speakers, AND they were on sale for half price (just ended the other day)... but decided the aesthetics were too odd, and I also wanted to place Atmos toppers (yeah, I know not ideal, but I've not committed to cutting holes in the ceiling yet), and the design precludes that even. I'll move the R263s as my rear surrounds (with Atmos toppers... lol).

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I think you're probably right about the KEFs... just on expectations alone, there will be a bias that it'll be more smooth and relaxed. ;) But for my HT system, heck even with my critical listening system (which sits in the same room with a completely separate signal/equipment path), I prefer deep dynamics - which often times means: more bass-heavy house sound. (yes, there are multiple subs involved... but I expect to integrate only 2 with the F208s - the Monolith THXs) I bought them from Crutchfield (fairly local to me), so if the sound is too much, or not to my liking - I'll return them and get the R7s and the R2c for the next set.
If you can test them, better

I don't have any plan to use sub, my solution was make a filter with the Apo EQ for make their sub bass slope stronger. something around 5dB, with that filter i enjoy so much the dynamic's capabilities but im consider to reduce a little the slope because its a lot.
Any way, that slope make the sub bass stronger that should be, but i find that fun
I don't use filters for the UNIQ range because i like their tonality.
1637095337825.png

Top Bottom