• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 and DSP Question

SPL1992

Forum Donor
Good morning - My first post on this site - please be gentle!! :)

Glad I found this blog. Very little conversation about using M2's with BSS.

My career was in Pro Audio and Video contracting so I am pretty familiar with the BSS product (I was a dealer for many years as well as JBL pro etc.).

My room is set up as a 7.4.5 system. However, my questions pertain to the channel portion of my system.

For the 2 channel portion of my system I am using a BSS BLU 160 running at 96K for my M2's with four subwoofers. I love the flexibility of the BSS products but feel that the AD and DA converters in the BSS are the weakest part in my audio chain. I am looking at potential solutions to improve the sound quality while retaining the BSS and the JBL M2's. As the vast majority of my listening is two channel, I have sidelined using a high end SSP like Trinnov or JBL SDP75 for now. The anecdotal evidence is that the SSP (no matter how well executed) will never equal the sound quality of a great two channel preamplifier.

Two channel system configuration:

Qobuz streaming ----> Roon Nucleus ----> to Bricasti M12 ---> BSS Blu Channels 1 and 2 - BSS High and Low analog outputs to Benchmark AHB2 (x2) ----> JBL M2's
For bass management (Internal to the BSS) I feed a bass summing amplifier with the parallel two channel signal and the Subwoofer outputs from the SSPL -----> then EQ, crossovers and all phase filters (please see the attached photos).
Surround system configuration - Yamaha A8A feeds JBL Array 880 center, JBL SCL6 for surrounds, SCL7's for rear surrounds and Revel 8" ceiling speakers x5, Yamaha sub outputs feed inputs 3 and 4 of the BSS and are summed into the bass management portion of the BSS. The BSS provides 4 mono but independent outputs (2 Revel subs and 2 Genelec subs, front and back respectively).

I am considering the following options to (hopefully) improve my system. If anyone has an experience with these changes (or has any other suggestions) I would be grateful lto hear your thoughts and or recommendations.

Two Channel with subs options:

Option 1 - Change the BSS analog output cards to digital and feed an OKTO Research DAC8 Pro (AES) for the analog outputs to the Benchmark AHB2's and subs.
Option 2 - Option 1 plus replace the BSS analog input card with a digital input card. Then feed the BSS digitally with an RME DAC (or other DAC with digital with AES outputs) for the Left and Right channel inputs and a SSP with digital outputs (obviously the Bricasti would no longer be needed). If needed I can use the second analog input card which would eliminate the requirement for a digital output from the SSP.

Do you guys thinking I am barking up the wrong tree here?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4826.jpg
    IMG_4826.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 15

@Christo

Good morning - My first post on this site - please be gentle!! :)

Glad I found this blog. Very little conversation about using M2's with BSS.

My career was in Pro Audio and Video contracting so I am pretty familiar with the BSS product (I was a dealer for many years as well as JBL pro etc.).

My room is set up as a 7.4.5 system. However, my questions pertain to the channel portion of my system.

For the 2 channel portion of my system I am using a BSS BLU 160 running at 96K for my M2's with four subwoofers. I love the flexibility of the BSS products but feel that the AD and DA converters in the BSS are the weakest part in my audio chain. I am looking at potential solutions to improve the sound quality while retaining the BSS and the JBL M2's. As the vast majority of my listening is two channel, I have sidelined using a high end SSP like Trinnov or JBL SDP75 for now. The anecdotal evidence is that the SSP (no matter how well executed) will never equal the sound quality of a great two channel preamplifier.

Two channel system configuration:

Qobuz streaming ----> Roon Nucleus ----> to Bricasti M12 ---> BSS Blu Channels 1 and 2 - BSS High and Low analog outputs to Benchmark AHB2 (x2) ----> JBL M2's
For bass management (Internal to the BSS) I feed a bass summing amplifier with the parallel two channel signal and the Subwoofer outputs from the SSPL -----> then EQ, crossovers and all phase filters (please see the attached photos).
Surround system configuration - Yamaha A8A feeds JBL Array 880 center, JBL SCL6 for surrounds, SCL7's for rear surrounds and Revel 8" ceiling speakers x5, Yamaha sub outputs feed inputs 3 and 4 of the BSS and are summed into the bass management portion of the BSS. The BSS provides 4 mono but independent outputs (2 Revel subs and 2 Genelec subs, front and back respectively).

I am considering the following options to (hopefully) improve my system. If anyone has an experience with these changes (or has any other suggestions) I would be grateful lto hear your thoughts and or recommendations.

Two Channel with subs options:

Option 1 - Change the BSS analog output cards to digital and feed an OKTO Research DAC8 Pro (AES) for the analog outputs to the Benchmark AHB2's and subs.
Option 2 - Option 1 plus replace the BSS analog input card with a digital input card. Then feed the BSS digitally with an RME DAC (or other DAC with digital with AES outputs) for the Left and Right channel inputs and a SSP with digital outputs (obviously the Bricasti would no longer be needed). If needed I can use the second analog input card which would eliminate the requirement for a digital output from the SSP.

Do you guys thinking I am barking up the wrong tree here?

Thank you.
My 2 cents

I have used the AES output of my Lynx Hilo in to the BSS Digital card and it sound better than using the analogue input option. I had REW measurements to prove this point but I can't find them at the moment.

I also have used the BSS-USB option which I find even better and more convenient, the less links in the chain the better.

I’m not sure you’ll find any improvement using DACs after the BSS unit.

SPL1992

Forum Donor
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated. I have not used (or considered) the Lynx but will check it out. I'll order the BSS Digital card.

I have only used the USB interface for conferencing. What would be the advantage? Can the Lynx drive that direct?

Curious why you thin the digital output cards change would be marginal? The Okto DAC 8 pro looks like a great piece of gear.

Thanks again

SPL1992

Forum Donor
I would like to rephrase that question about the USB Interface. Have you used the BSS USB interface from the Lynx HiLo to the BSS Blu with no issues? JBL Pro thought that might be an issue.

Thanks

@Christo

I would like to rephrase that question about the USB Interface. Have you used the BSS USB interface from the Lynx HiLo to the BSS Blu with no issues? JBL Pro thought that might be an issue.

Thanks
I use the BSS-USB to bring USB audio from Laptop/JRiver directly into the BSS unit saves a card slot on the BSS.
I also run Accurate custom XOs via JRiver convolution across the BSS-USB link and use BSS for final routing (physical connections) of the signal. I’m a big believer in the less links in a chain the better.

Could you really hear the difference by using an outboard DAC for the digital to analogue conversion?

I can’t hear the difference between my Lynx Hilo and a Benchmark DAC3 both are transparent.

SPL1992

Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply @Christo - My question was based on my conversation with JBL Pro customer support line following your post. They suggested that the BSS-USB interface was designed to be used with computers (as you are) and 'might' work with other devices like the Lynx HiLo - basically trial and error. :) Have you sent audio from the Lynx HiLo USB output through the BSS-USB link to the BSS Blu? If so, I am seriously thinking about buying a Lynx and selling my Bricasti. If not I would change my input card to a digital card.

Thanks again for your input.

SPL1992

Forum Donor
OK - thank you my error.

Thank you.

Top Bottom