• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 and DSP Question

rajapruk

Forum Donor
There is a newer software I use for my BSS BLU 160. ”Harman Audio Architect”. I think this ”London Architect” is an older software.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
There are some turorials on youtube for Audio Architect, I think.

kiwiblair

Hi, I seem to be late to the party here... I have finally managed to get a pair of M2's, and a BSS BLU-50.

May I ask, should I be trying to use the original London Architect, or the newer HiQnet Audio Architect?

HiQnet Audio Architect will not load the JBL-supplied "M2 System File BSS Soundweb London BLU800 Tunings” (downloaded from https://jblpro.com/en/support_downloads/download_types/speakertuning), whereas older London Architect seems to at least open the file.

From what I gather, the process is to load the BLU-800 tunings into London Architect, use the "London Device Conversion" to convert to BLU-50, save and re-load.

But I am not sure I have even gotten the first step correct, when I load the original BLU-800 file click on any of the boxes in the flow diagram that appears, it doesn’t seem to have loaded any values, e.g. all the parametric eq Boost/Cut values are shown as 0.00 dB.

Any help much appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-1.png
    PastedGraphic-1.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 94
  • PastedGraphic-2.png
    PastedGraphic-2.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 101
  • PastedGraphic-3.png
    PastedGraphic-3.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 90

Kanichkhun

hi everyone, bumping up this thread as I'm seeing same issue as kiwiblair. when I open up those parameters.. they're all 0. I don't think this is right as well.
anyone can advise please?

Acoustix

Hello, I just saw your questions, so yes it is normal that all the settings are at 0, the modules for filtering the M2 are gray (mysterious box protected by password), the other modules can be used if you want to equalize the listening rooms.
Regards
Thierry

Kanichkhun

Hello, I just saw your questions, so yes it is normal that all the settings are at 0, the modules for filtering the M2 are gray (mysterious box protected by password), the other modules can be used if you want to equalize the listening rooms.
Regards
Thierry

Hi Thierry,

thanks for getting back! Yes, I've figured by now that the modules for M2 are hidden. and the interface that we see are for us to EQ if needed.
yet to official test though, my M2s are arriving soon. will able to try load it to my blu-160 soon.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the love of all things holy, disconnect the speakers and keep them disconnected after you load the files until you can make sure they are properly configured and that your amplifiers are not receiving full power of any signal.

I scared the bejeesus out of myself when these files didn't load properly on a crown cdi 1200 and blasted full power white noise to the speaker while I was sitting just beside it. Thankfully the tweeter was disconnected, otherwise I would likely be deaf today.

I don't know how the BLU stuff works, but at least with the Crown connected with Audio Architect, I could see the signal levels being processed on the computer. That way I could check to see that bass and tweeter signals went to the correct output and at what level.

Kanichkhun

For the love of all things holy, disconnect the speakers and keep them disconnected after you load the files until you can make sure they are properly configured and that your amplifiers are not receiving full power of any signal.

I scared the bejeesus out of myself when these files didn't load properly on a crown cdi 1200 and blasted full power white noise to the speaker while I was sitting just beside it. Thankfully the tweeter was disconnected, otherwise I would likely be deaf today.

I don't know how the BLU stuff works, but at least with the Crown connected with Audio Architect, I could see the signal levels being processed on the computer. That way I could check to see that bass and tweeter signals went to the correct output and at what level.

Definitely would do that as well, just to be on the safe side too to prevent any damage to the drivers.

Acoustix

With a Blu (160 or other) you can test with a sound card and a software like REW or ARTA if the filters are correctly loaded.
The advantage of the Blu is to be able to use any type of amplifier, I think that it is a more manageable solution and which can be less expensive than the Crown amplifiers.

@Christo

For those of you interested, attached is a document I created that outlines the JBL M2 Unlocked Marco, I’ve consolidated much of the information I could find on the web on this topic.

Attachments

• M2 JBL Unlocked Macro.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

Kanichkhun

For those of you interested, attached is a document I created that outlines the JBL M2 Unlocked Marco, I’ve consolidated much of the information I could find on the web on this topic.

thank you! big help!
I'm currently configuring with London Architect, struggling to start with it..
I can see my bss but don't even know how to point/link it to my bss.
I will try with Audio Architect instead.

Kanichkhun

ok. I saw through the pdf, with the AA, I at least could get it connected but still, I am lost.... o_O:facepalm:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-11 173357.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-11 173357.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 23

@Christo

Attached you'll find my complete LA Design document with the SUB18 integration outlined.

In AA it is just a matter of right clicking in the design and clicking on New and adding whatever object you need then wiring them together.

AA New.jpg

You should try and get the BLU-USB device to run audio from your computer into the BSS unit it really simplifies things and i.e. reduces the number of ADC/DAC conversions.

Attachments

• M2 SUB18 Custom Integration.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

Kanichkhun

Attached you'll find my complete LA Design document with the SUB18 integration outlined.

In AA it is just a matter of right clicking in the design and clicking on New and adding whatever object you need then wiring them together.

View attachment 341188

You should try and get the BLU-USB device to run audio from your computer into the BSS unit it really simplifies things and i.e. reduces the number of ADC/DAC conversions.

Amazing info. thank you! signals will be coming from my pre-processor. not sending pc audio.
and also I tried right click in AA.. nothing happens.

Edit: okay, right click works now after I restarted the program.

Last edited:

Kanichkhun

I figured it and followed from the unlocked macro however for the delay, I couldn't set exact. the distance is off. it changes to 0.09313 instead of 0.09298.
I do have plan to have 3rd M2 as Centre.
is the outcome correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 010057.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 010057.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2024-01-12 010455.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 010455.png
    609 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor

o_O

@Christo

The blocks look to be all there and as long as you followed the information in the PDF you should be ok the design is from a working system – make sure you verify the design with the amplifiers OFF first.

I’m not sure you can run a design with incomplete wiring i.e. the center channel.

What I like about the BSS unit is you can run the design with the amplifiers OFF. This allows you to test new designs prior to brining the amplifiers and speakers online. There are internal AA tools “Tone/Noise Generators” to generate test tones/frequencies.

AA Debug Tools.jpg

If you have a CD with test frequencies this will provide end-to-end testing (input/output).

What you want to ensure is that the low and high frequencies are going to the correct outputs. With the end-to-end testing a visual inspection of the BSS front panel is also helpful.

Last but not least…
Phoenix Connector ASR.jpg

Kanichkhun

The blocks look to be all there and as long as you followed the information in the PDF you should be ok the design is from a working system – make sure you verify the design with the amplifiers OFF first.

I’m not sure you can run a design with incomplete wiring i.e. the center channel.

What I like about the BSS unit is you can run the design with the amplifiers OFF. This allows you to test new designs prior to brining the amplifiers and speakers online. There are internal AA tools “Tone/Noise Generators” to generate test tones/frequencies.

View attachment 341323
If you have a CD with test frequencies this will provide end-to-end testing (input/output).

What you want to ensure is that the low and high frequencies are going to the correct outputs. With the end-to-end testing a visual inspection of the BSS front panel is also helpful.

Last but not least…
View attachment 341324

Hi Christo! Got it, thank you once again! will test and let you know again.

Kanichkhun

Screenshot 2024-01-14 220220.png

Hello.

I'm doing a venue simulating, it is unmatched, do I need to have the bss online and match it to get any sense of useful data?
right now, not seeing or hearing anything on my pc.

Top Bottom