• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

tomlang

Looks like they measure 15.25" x 25.25" (Please excuse my frame shadow in the last photo).
Thanks so much for this.

Is the black frame plastic or wood?

Is the walnut veneer on the outside real walnut or is it also plastic that looks like walnut? Thanks again!

I assume you have the black colored foam?

pinpoint_oxford

Thanks so much for this.

Is the black frame plastic or wood?
The black backing is certainly plastic, but I honestly cannot tell if the whole frame is plastic or fiberboard. You can feel a rough outline on the inside cutout that feels more like fiberboard than plastic.
Is the walnut veneer on the outside real walnut or is it also plastic that looks like walnut? Thanks again!
The veneer is real from what I can tell, it looks and feels identical to the rest of the cabinet.
I assume you have the black colored foam?
Yes.

tomlang

Thanks again. In laying this out it seems I would have to remove a good bit of the frame material from behind the foam without damaging the foam to fit my drivers. Probably not worth the trouble or risk. Better to just get the repo quadrex for the smaller L100 Century and then make a nice thick frame around it to allow a bigger baffle.

Is the foam glued tight all the way around the inside or could, say, a small piece of 1/4" thick plywood be slid "easily" between the foam and frame to protect the foam while machining away the frame?

blueajah1223

Adding on to this. I bought the JBL L100 Century speakers on sale from my local hi-fi dealer in December last year for 3400$ and 500$ for the stands. I felt like it was a good deal. I have had 3 "wow" moments in my audiophile journey: the first, when I heard a good system for the first time, the second when I got a pair of LS50s and paired them with a Peachtree Nova 150, the third was when I heard the L100s. I listened to 5 speakers at the dealer (Kef R7, Wharfdale Linton, Kef Reference (floorstander) and the Kef LS60). The L100s were my favorite, once I got them home and hooked them up to my Peachtree amp 500 with the Nova as a preamp - it was bliss. I know they don't measure perfectly, but to my ears I don't hear any reason to upgrade in the near future. I love my LS50s and still use them in our second room alot, but every time I hear them I just want to stop listening and move to the L100 room.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bought the JBL L100 Century speakers on sale from my local hi-fi dealer in December last year for 3400$ and 500$ for the stands.
Congrat's on your new speakers and welcome to ASR.
No they don't measure perfect, but then no speaker I'm aware of does.
I've listened to the L100 a few times now and spent quite a bit of time with
them at their introduction at the 2019 Tampa Audio Show.
They sounded nothing like the original L100, which could be a bit of boom & sizzle.
These new speakers sounded really nice with the great attack and speed JBL is known for.
Enjoy, those guys should give you decades of pleasure.
Sal

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Adding on to this. I bought the JBL L100 Century speakers on sale from my local hi-fi dealer in December last year for 3400$ and 500$ for the stands. I felt like it was a good deal. I have had 3 "wow" moments in my audiophile journey: the first, when I heard a good system for the first time, the second when I got a pair of LS50s and paired them with a Peachtree Nova 150, the third was when I heard the L100s. I listened to 5 speakers at the dealer (Kef R7, Wharfdale Linton, Kef Reference (floorstander) and the Kef LS60). The L100s were my favorite, once I got them home and hooked them up to my Peachtree amp 500 with the Nova as a preamp - it was bliss. I know they don't measure perfectly, but to my ears I don't hear any reason to upgrade in the near future. I love my LS50s and still use them in our second room alot, but every time I hear them I just want to stop listening and move to the L100 room.
Those are beautiful speakers. I have admired them since they came out. You got a good deal on them. What color are the fronts? Photos...................

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know they don't measure perfectly, but to my ears...

Your ears are the only ones that matter.

Anecdote: Mine are a very old horn design. People either hate 'em or love them. I recognize their limitations, along with the good things they do. I contrast it to the Linkwitz LX521. Probably the best all around loudspeaker I've ever heard in a living room setting. But I wasn't interested in 'upgrading' at all. It wasn't my thing. What I have better suits my ears. And my ears are the only ones that count in this game. Just like yours, in your living room.

blueajah1223

Those are beautiful speakers. I have admired them since they came out. You got a good deal on them. What color are the fronts? Photos...................
Thanks! I bought the teal covers, they work great in our living room. We have them a little over 10 feet apart and my listening chair is close to 10 feet back.

Attachments

• E400BBDB-7717-46B8-809B-7C092DC69274.jpeg
    E400BBDB-7717-46B8-809B-7C092DC69274.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 136
  • D8AE5E06-AA86-4335-89F8-DD7E2DFEE299.jpeg
    D8AE5E06-AA86-4335-89F8-DD7E2DFEE299.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 138

blueajah1223

Your ears are the only ones that matter.

Anecdote: Mine are a very old horn design. People either hate 'em or love them. I recognize their limitations, along with the good things they do. I contrast it to the Linkwitz LX521. Probably the best all around loudspeaker I've ever heard in a living room setting. But I wasn't interested in 'upgrading' at all. It wasn't my thing. What I have better suits my ears. And my ears are the only ones that count in this game. Just like yours, in your living room.
Our ears are the best judge. Recently, a friend of mine had a chance to audition a 30k pair of Wilson speakers, he was looking to upgrade a 30 year old pair of Klipshorn speakers he bought in the 90s. After a week he returned the Wilsons and kept the horns.

blueajah1223

Congrat's on your new speakers and welcome to ASR.
No they don't measure perfect, but then no speaker I'm aware of does.
I've listened to the L100 a few times now and spent quite a bit of time with
them at their introduction at the 2019 Tampa Audio Show.
They sounded nothing like the original L100, which could be a bit of boom & sizzle.
These new speakers sounded really nice with the great attack and speed JBL is known for.
Enjoy, those guys should give you decades of pleasure.
Sal
I never had the chance to hear the originals. When I auditioned speakers they weren’t on my short list but the dealer encouraged me to listen to them. I listen primarily to classical and when I heard Gardiners Beethoven 3rd I was sold. The KEF reference were also incredible but they were twice the cost.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Our ears are the best judge.
Let me make a small clarification here.
Ears are only the best judge of what fits our personal preferences in sound, and that can be quite individual.
But measurements are the best judge of which speakers are most capable of reproducing the sound recorded on the source.
You may prefer to boost the bass around 3db and tame the treble around the same using things like tone controls or
digital room correction systems. No one can tell you what to like.
Personally I prefer to know my speakers/system are capable fairly accurately reproducing the source, I can always
salt & pepper the sound to taste later.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me make a small clarification here.
Ears are only the best judge of what fits our personal preferences in sound, and that can be quite individual.
But measurements are the best judge of which speakers are most capable of reproducing the sound recorded on the source.
You may prefer to boost the bass around 3db and tame the treble around the same using things like tone controls or
digital room correction systems. No one can tell you what to like.
Personally I prefer to know my speakers/system are capable fairly accurately reproducing the source, I can always
salt & pepper the sound to taste later.
My experience with odd (non-flat) frequency response is that certain tracks may sound better, but some suffer. You are essentially re-mastering the music.

radix

Major Contributor
I just got a pair of the L100 re-issue to go with a retro-McIntosh stack I put together. Fortunately, I found a flawless pair of b-stock, so the price was very good. I've not measured or adjusted yet, but only given them a listen on a few tracks. For some 80's and EDM and jazz I've tried out, they sounded great. On bass-heavy tracks, I barely miss having a sub. I'll hook the system up to REW soon and see how it really looks.

IMG_4657.jpeg

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just got a pair of the L100 re-issue to go with a retro-McIntosh stack I put together. Fortunately, I found a flawless pair of b-stock, so the price was very good. I've not measured or adjusted yet, but only given them a listen on a few tracks. For some 80's and EDM and jazz I've tried out, they sounded great. On bass-heavy tracks, I barely miss having a sub. I'll hook the system up to REW soon and see how it really looks.

View attachment 291878
well done

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

View attachment 291878
What an iconic pairing of components!
They should bring you much listening pleasure.
ENJOY.

pinpoint_oxford

View attachment 291878
Looks great! I absolutely agree with you about the bass. Honestly I was happy to get rid of my sub with these speakers.

radix

Major Contributor
any updates?
LIfe has been busy and I have not measured it. I have been enjoying it most every day and think it sounds great. Thanks for bumping this, I'll get the mic out and measure it soon.

Top Bottom