• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

Pete Basel

If you want an accurate 12" 3-way from JBL buy the LSR-6332 they certainly know how to
design a good speaker these days. Add bass EQ (6dB boosted high pass) for a B6 alignment
for a -3dB point in the mid/low 30s: https://jblpro.com/en/products/lsr6332#specifications
Unfortunate that these were discontinued.

I never liked the original L-100 and knew shortly after they came out that they had no
deep bass, and very poor frequency response. This technical review covers most of the
issues - nice work by the way: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm
These were the main problems as I see it:
1. Tuned too high (60 Hz) in the bass causing bass boom
2. Both the mid and tweeter had cone breakup response issues
3. Mid had too small of a voice coil for good thermal capacity
4. Little if any crossover design, cap and L-pad to the mid and tweeter

JBL/Harman obviously has the technology today to design top notch speakers and the new
L-100 shows it. Obviously, as a reissue they kept the appearance and size the same, but it
is now tuned to the mid 30s where it is about 9 dB down. This could be made roughly a
B6 vented alignment by adding a peaked (6dB) high pass filter at the box tuning frequency.
Adjust to taste and room placement requirements, or use bass EQ management for even
flatter response. There's certainly enough volume displacement with a 12" to support this.
This speaker is obviously aimed at people who want an even better version of an iconic speaker.

I don't trust many reviewers who seem to throw in "measurements" to appear more scientific
and I was surprised to see several showing major peaks and dips in the response. I tend to
trust the Audioholics measurements where it can be seen that more effort was put into them:

I think that pulling the mid down a few dB will help in rooms where the midrange peaks are
audible/offensive. Seems to me that they could be made to sound good in most rooms with
minor adjustments. Also note the modern in-phase crossover that should help with most of
the polar response issues.

I'd expect that marketing priced these to maximize their profits, weighing sales volume vs.
price - that is their job after all. They are not sitting there thinking some arm chair engineers
are going to add up materials cost and criticize us for such a high price!

The KLH model 5 reissue looks like a very well done large 3-way at half the price:

Last edited:

pinpoint_oxford

I have had a pair of the L100 Classic 75s for a few months now and every day I love them more and more. Having a full-range speaker that can handle the low range and keep the high range in check is so nice. Plus I absolutely love the way they look with their veneer cabinet and foam grills, they standout but not in a monolithic way,

LouB

Looking for some thoughts (maybe a fact or 2 :)) from those that know about interpreting testing graphs & speaker performance or have opinions on the JBL L100's vs. L82classic. I'm in the market for a new 2 way set up (no sub) music only. From advice I've gotten on ASR is buy a speaker that measures well & spend most of the budget on speakers. I was set on getting JBL L82 classic's they measured well here & have good reviews. Since than I've seen JBL L100's re-issues for costing aprx. 1K more. I figure the main benifit of the L100's would be at high volume listening, slightly better bass response at lower volume levels, and possibly better vocal mid response due to it's 3 way design. If thats the case than I'd be willing to spend the money on the L100's. Has anybody compared the L82's to the L100's testing or subjective ? I'd like to hear what the main difference's or advantage you would get with the L100's
Thanks

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm really rarely a person to say "this shouldn't cost this much."

For example, I'm willing to accept that the Technics SL-1200G costs $4000 give they rebuilt it from the ground up and, despite looks, is actually a nearly complete overhaul of the motor, plinth, etc.

But this JBL L100 reissue has me scratching my head.

Yeah, you get a 12 inch pulp cone woofer.....and I'm really not sure what this has going for it versus just buying a vintage version, for far less. Plus it's more...vintage.

https://www.musicdirect.com/Speakers/JBL-L100-Bookshelf-Speakers

AJBLL100B.jpg
I considered purchasing a pair when they came out. The biggest problem for me was the reported poor quality cabnitry.

LouB

I considered purchasing a pair when they came out. The biggest problem for me was the reported poor quality cabnitry.
That's one complaint I haven't seen much of. I've only read one bad review on cabinet build but the reviewer was only complaing about the grills, saying the old L100's had wood around the foam & the new ones have plastic. It seems a lot of the L100 reviews I've read they get compared to the older ones & most of those reviewers seem like there from people who never actually heard the new ones.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LouB

Measures lots better than their predecessor. Not that that would take much.
Thanks, when I look at the Audioholics graphs for L100's compared to the spinorama found here
It looks to me that the L100's are a bit better or have a flatter freq. response, but I am really new at looking at these graphs & knowing what would be seen as better. I read reviews here that the L82's "measured well" on ASR. If the L100's also measure well than I think I would lean towards getting a pair. The Audioholic overall review seemed kind of ambivalent to where they praise the speaker sound but complain about the way it measured ? I even had look up the word sibilant from this quote "I was surprised to see that resonance at 5kHz since I didn’t hear anything like that in my own listening. I am normally pretty sensitive to elevations in response in that area which makes the sound more sibilant."
Sibilant meaning hiss, which would seem to be a major problem in a speaker but the reviewer never explaining why He's not hearing any hiss ?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sibilance means over-emphsized "sssss" sounds -- not hiss per se.
Kaa the snake in Disney's 1960s cartoon "version" of Jungle Book is a good example.
sssssssssskip up to about 1 minute to hear Kaa's ssssssibilant diction.

JBL are very, very competent when it comes to designing and building excellent drivers, but I really don't get why they put those janky crossovers into a 4000$ speaker. (The box design with this one is a given, ok, I get that)
Their pro audio gear was and is very good, they obviously know how to build good speakers. I'm guessing we're not the target group for all these vintage reissue speakers and the there were different design priorities in play. Give me a 4412a reissue with a SOTA crossover any time over this.

LouB

JBL are very, very competent when it comes to designing and building excellent drivers, but I really don't get why they put those janky crossovers into a 4000$ speaker. (The box design with this one is a given, ok, I get that)
Their pro audio gear was and is very good, they obviously know how to build good speakers. I'm guessing we're not the target group for all these vintage reissue speakers and the there were different design priorities in play. Give me a 4412a reissue with a SOTA crossover any time over this.
Wondering what you actually mean when saying they used janky crossovers ? Please correct me if I'm wrong here, knowing they are not designed as studio monitors the speakers seem to measure well from what I've seen. I was hoping some one here could confirm as I'm very new to figuring out what a frequency response graph really tells you. I was just comparing the graphs between the L82's (which "measure well" according to posts on ASR) & the L100's
On JBL Pro gear I think it's all in the price point. In the mid priced ($1200-$1400 a pair) "pro" PA powered speaker market JBL's don't stack up very well but when you get into the $3000 a pair & up range the JBL's out shine the competition IMHO.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wondering what you actually mean when saying they used janky crossovers ?
Me too?
I could be wrong but I believe he may be responding to the fact that they are passive and not active.

"The crossover network is a pretty serious piece, and I counted 15 components on the board with some very large electrolytic and poly film capacitors, resistors, air-core inductors, and an iron core inductor.'

Me too?
I could be wrong but I believe he may be responding to the fact that they are passive and not active.

"The crossover network is a pretty serious piece, and I counted 15 components on the board with some very large electrolytic and poly film capacitors, resistors, air-core inductors, and an iron core inductor.'
You have a point that the crossover looks fine, especially compared to other hifi speakers, but they could have controlled that ragged freqency response a bit, I think. The parts are ok too. I might have been triggered by their insistence on using ceramic resistors everywhere.

Even their high end passive monitors from a couple of years ago didn't have the crossovers to match. They were competently designed and then built as cheaply as possible. (The opposite of ATC in that regard) Granted that the "cheap" parts are probably better now than the more expensive parts 30 years ago.

I re-did a couple of crossovers in their old 3-way passive monitors (more like 25 components btw) in the last few years with good parts (objectively good, pragmatic parts, not "audiophile grade") and measured THD went down dramatically (about half) with the same drivers, impulse response got better too. Though most of that I would attribute to aged electrolytics which are rarely used today and have gotten a lot better, too. My opinion of JBL is, that their drivers are usually very, very good and the cabinets and crossovers don't do them justice. But that's probably more of a testament to how good their drivers are, rather than a takedown of their crossovers (enclosures are still bad).

I have no problems with passive crossovers by the way, but I'm of the unpopular opinion that state of the art components (and no, I'm not talking about Mundorf voodoo parts) do make a difference, especially resistors and capacitors. I totally get that you can't put 200$ of passive electronics in a 4000$ pair of speakers, though.

I have heard the L100 Classics in a show room when they came out I and I think it sounds fun. But I also think that they would have the expertise to make a great measuring speaker for 4000$.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have heard the L100 Classics in a show room when they came out I and I think it sounds fun. But I also think that they would have the expertise to make a great measuring speaker for 4000$.
As did I at the Tampa show and thought they sounded very nice.
A truely modern version of the old L100, one that can really rock&roll without all the old boom and sizzle.
But a really better measuring speaker might not offer the type of sound interested parties expected.
Also, even if possible, would they really want their entire lineup of speakers to sound the same?
That's why they build more accurate things like my HDI-3600's.
Thanks for the response. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If it doesn't look like this, it's not the real deal. :)

View attachment 260366
except it should have "bathtub" oil-filled capacitors.
Bonus points if they contain PCBs. :cool:

cfe-000050R00CBA_1_lg.jpg

PS I am amused by the idea of counting the number of components in a (passive XO) as an assessment of its quality, effectiveness, or of its seriousness (for that matter). To me, it's akin to assessing the quality of an internal combustion engine (if you remember those?!) in an automobile based on the number of hoses that are connected to it. ;)
"Look how much stuff we packed into this crossover to work around the shortcomings of the drivers we use, and to waste as much of your amplifier's power as possible as heat -- instead of turning it into sound!!!" :facepalm:

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
except it should have "bathtub" oil-filled capacitors.
Bonus points if they contain PCBs. :cool:

cfe-000050R00CBA_1_lg.jpg
I want an amp and speakers built using power factor correction capacitors! Now all I have to do is climb the pole and grab them...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They weren't bad as capacitors. The PCBs were a problem if it got out....

Top Bottom