• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, old school wide baffles have a different sound character due to their earlier baffle step, I owned the JBL 4312 SE which is very similar to the new L100 classic.

A nice and much cheaper alternative for such a design is also the relatively recently released Wharfedale Linton https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/linton/

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, old school wide baffles have a different sound character due to their earlier baffle step, I owned the JBL 4312 SE which is very similar to the new L100 classic.

A nice and much cheaper alternative for such a design is also the relatively recently released Wharfedale Linton https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/linton/
I remember the Linton from when the original was new, though it was a 2-way iirc with cone tweeter and large bass-mid unit (probably 8")

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious too how the JBL 4312SE measures. Similar at a glance for a lot cheaper ($2,500 vs $4,000) but a different tweeter, a slightly different waveguide, a different woofer, different driver placement, and different crossover frequencies mean, of course, a different speaker.

Kw6

Any measurements for the JBL 4429? I'm considering these! Thanks!

mirekti

I went for a listening session the other day. The pair I listened to had two, three minor scratches on the veneer. One really needs to get close and look for them. Anyhow, I was offered that pair with the stands for $3049. I was acutally ready to pay $4300 plus tax so I went out of the store with a big smile.

As I don’t have any measurments to share, my contribution to the thred is rather limited, but I’d certainly encourage/recommend people to go and check them out.

In general, it is a quite natural sounding speaker to my ears. I have Harbeth P3ESRs which are now moved to my desk for extreme near field listening. While P3s are very compelling speakers and use different approach in cabinet building it surprised me how L100s felt pleasant to the ears too. I listened to L100s for few hours and didn’t feel tired a bit. One thing that set them apart was the bass from L100 was just on another level. I know, I know two different speakers, but that 12” driver is really charming.

Oh, and if you crank them up it is all still there, nothing falls apart, and that bass remains solid and undistored.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went for a listening session the other day. The pair I listened to had two, three minor scratches on the veneer. One really needs to get close and look for them. Anyhow, I was offered that pair with the stands for $3049.
Two years ago I refinished my L100A (late model circa 1975 or 76). The veneer was pretty thick, and with fine sanding plus a coat of stain the walnut came out excellent. A lot of current day veneer is paper thin and not suitable for woodworking, but if it's thick enough you can probably get rid of the scratches if they are not very deep.

Current L100 product is, I believe, made in Malaysia. I'm sure modern Asian manufacturing is much more sophisticated than whatever JBL was doing in LA, in the sixties and seventies. The original L100 was very primitive, electrically, and almost laughable in construction (an unbraced box stuffed with fiberglass, cheap twist on speaker terminals), although the actual driver components were very rugged, and of course the furniture-like outside finish was first rate.

Given the new model's place of manufacture, modern manufacturing techniques, etc., these should probably be selling for less than a thousand dollars. But the market is what it is. Glad that you were able to swing a large discount on these.

mirekti

Well, 5" woofer vs 12" woofer....

I would sure hope the bass would set them apart.
LoL I agree, that statement of mine made no sense at all, wanted to emphasise it was more significant to my listening experience than Harbeth’s “glorious” midrange, I guess the excitement took over. Bear in mind I listened to P3s in extreme near field, something like 1m triangle so the low frequency bass (or at least its harmonics contributed to it) sounded really good.

I’ll tell you one thing though, I am moving through some of my electronic collection and still cannot believe my ears how well it sounds at high volumes, the least distorted sound (subjective) I’ve heard in my room. I’m so thrilled it is embarrasing. :)

mirekti

Well, 5" woofer vs 12" woofer....

I would sure hope the bass would set them apart.
LoL I agree, that statement of mine made no sense at all, wanted to emphasise it was more significant to my listening experience than Harbeth’s midrange, I guess the excitement took over. Bear in mind I listened to P3s in extreme near field, something like 1m triangle so the low frequency bass (or at least its harmonics contributed to it) sounded really good.

I’ll tell you one thing though, I am moving through some of my electronic collection and still cannot believe my ears how well it sounds at high volumes, the least distorted (subjective) I’ve heard in my room. I’m so thrilled it is embarrasing. :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
JBL has announced a version with fancier wood:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/jb...ns-with-limited-edition-l100-classic-speakers

hZx5tBNQTttMHvjAjkjHLF-1024-80.jpg.webp

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
JBL has announced a version with fancier wood:
Nostalgia or no, they need to get rid of the fugly grill more.
Despite the preconceived bias's and JBL haters out there, I thought the new L100's sounded quite good at the 2020 Tampa Audio show.
I spent quite a bit of time in the room to determine if I wasn't getting sucked in by a flashy FR but after about 15-20 minutes I don't think so.
A bit on the pricey side but it's probably justified by build quality.
YMMV

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Despite the preconceived bias's and JBL haters out there, I thought the new L100's sounded quite good at the 2020 Tampa Audio show.
I spent quite a bit of time in the room to determine if I wasn't getting sucked in by a flashy FR but after about 15-20 minutes I don't think so.
YMMV

I think the Klipsch Heritage series grills look waaaay better.

Valentin R

YMMV

It has improved drivers and xo

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think the Klipsch Heritage series grills look waaaay better.
Quite similar to the old "tweed" design so beloved by Fender guitar amp lovers.
65DeluxeRev-large.jpg

boselover61

YMMV
I saw some measurement of the L100 a quite back. They look deadset similar to the HDI 1600 reviewed here so I'm not surprised you liked them since you yourself own a HDI 1600

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom