• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any multichannel DAC easy to DIY in 2023?

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Amazing work sir! I was thinking about building ES9017S 8 channels in hardware mode. Im a noob, and thought it would be a fun project.
Thanks!
These are indeed cool projects,: you learn a lot+ you can build something that is hardly available otherwise.
Hardware mode simplifies things, specially if you are not going to use a raspberry pi or similar.
I recommend you to make sure you have all the documentation you need. Besides that, the only really challenging step is to solder those minuscule ICs.
Good luck!

AUDIO FREQ

Are you located in the US? Would love to compare notes with you.

I do ok soldering smd parts, I have a handy little microscope lens + camera thingy I bought cheap from aliexpress.

The reference design + schematic seems to have everything I need. Will probably order the necessary parts and sketch my own PCB with ferric chloride and stencils after drawing things out on paper.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Are you located in the US? Would love to compare notes with you.

I do ok soldering smd parts, I have a handy little microscope lens + camera thingy I bought cheap from aliexpress.

The reference design + schematic seems to have everything I need. Will probably order the necessary parts and sketch my own PCB with ferric chloride and stencils after drawing things out on paper.
I am in Europe, but feel free to ask any questions here or via DM

Wow, you plan to etch your own PCB? that's a completely different level! The package of ES9017S is a bit easier than ES9080 but you still have a pin to pin separation of 0.28 mm. You are going to need pretty good precision. Are you going to do a two layers PCB?
Once i got some blank PCBs out of curiosity but they are still in a drawer. I tend to do smallish designs and JLCPCB is so cheap that i never find the occasion to use them.
Let us know about your progress.

AUDIO FREQ

I am in Europe, but feel free to ask any questions here or via DM

Wow, you plan to etch your own PCB? that's a completely different level! The package of ES9017S is a bit easier than ES9080 but you still have a pin to pin separation of 0.28 mm. You are going to need pretty good precision. Are you going to do a two layers PCB?
Once i got some blank PCBs out of curiosity but they are still in a drawer. I tend to do smallish designs and JLCPCB is so cheap that i never find the occasion to use them.
Let us know about your progress.
I have some dual layer pcbs here, so I figure I will give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes lol...but if all else fails, i'll just get it made at one of the pcbmaker sites online. I've etched my own mic circuits, but ofcourse throughhole is an entirely easier beast. I have a friend who owns a laser etcher, I could try that too...all in the name of DIY science :).

Reactions: MCH

sarieri

Forum Donor
3. Can do my experiments with the super cheap ES9017, i can afford burning a couple of them, and when i feel i have something that works and want to achieve better performance, i could switch to the ES9027PRO, that is pin compatible and as of today can be had for less than 40 euros...
Can one just switch the chip of a DAC with es9017s to es9027pro regardless of hardware/software configuration?

sarieri

Forum Donor
So I don’t have to change anything just solder the new chip and it will measure slightly better in theory? I thought ESS chips have some sort of compensation parameters that can help to fine tune the H2/H3 like those in Ivan’s Cosmos ADC. And that doesn’t matter?

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
So I don’t have to change anything just solder the new chip and it will measure slightly better in theory? I thought ESS chips have some sort of compensation parameters that can help to fine tune the H2/H3 like those in Ivan’s Cosmos ADC. And that doesn’t matter?
It has been a while, i cannot remember the details. But i think the reference design is the same, so in theory yes, if you swap chips it might work. Now, for instance, the output stage of the evaluation boards are different, with different op amps and different part counts (datasheets pags 80-something). Regarding the compensation parameters, i cant remember if these chips have this setting, but normally, if you are in software mode you just need to set them. In hardware mode.... i am not sure how to input them, if even possible. But everything should be in the datasheets.

sarieri

Forum Donor
It has been a while, i cannot remember the details. But i think the reference design is the same, so in theory yes, if you swap chips it might work. Now, for instance, the output stage of the evaluation boards are different, with different op amps and different part counts (datasheets pags 80-something). Regarding the compensation parameters, i cant remember if these chips have this setting, but normally, if you are in software mode you just need to set them. In hardware mode.... i am not sure how to input them, if even possible. But everything should be in the datasheets.
Thx. I need to look into it. Minidsp Htx uses four pieces of es9017s for 8 channels and they seem to have modified the reference I/V circuit of 9017s as well.

Reactions: MCH

sarieri

Forum Donor
Just a side note. I made one of this when I was in China. It was like $25. And it can set all kinds of parameters for preheat and reflow profile. I made four ldo with lt3045(DFN). Super easy.
IMG_0866.jpeg

Top Bottom