• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any amp/dac that is better than the RME ADI 2 DAC

monochiro

As the title suggests, does anyone know of a better device of this kind? I think this amp/dac in particular is the best, because it has the ability to increase the spaciousness of any headphone. Does any other amp/dac have this feature or anything comparable to it?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your in the side grade zone now. For soundstage the best I've heard is the Topping A90 D90 combo which I currently have. The SMSL SP400 M400 with the filters and colors (mainly color 2, 3 is a softer sound with treble rolloff) changed it a little, but I don't think you have any clear upgrade path except speaker setup or headphone choices.

OP
M

monochiro

Thank you for your replies. I guess there seems to be nothing similar to the "width" feature (do not know its actual name) that the ADI DAC has. The only thing I found weird is that you have to increase bass by a lot when you turn it on. On my dx3 pro +2dB at 50hz Q0.5 is enough, but with the ADI DAC I need at least 7 dB on the same filter and it is still not as impactful. Either way it still sounds better.

Wicky

Thank you for your replies. I guess there seems to be nothing similar to the "width" feature (do not know its actual name) that the ADI DAC has. The only thing I found weird is that you have to increase bass by a lot when you turn it on. On my dx3 pro +2dB at 50hz Q0.5 is enough, but with the ADI DAC I need at least 7 dB on the same filter and it is still not as impactful. Either way it still sounds better.
It is called "width" if you mean the feature that reduces stereo to mono through to inverting the stereo channels

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What setting are you using for width? 1 should be default, anything less than that is closer towards mono. Which will be a narrower width.

Have you experimented with the crossfeed setting instead? Try setting it to 2. I wouldn't try and combine crossfeed and width though.

OP
M

monochiro

Thanks for your replies again everyone.

Maybe I decreased width or something I do not remember, but regardless with the ADI DAC it sounds way more spacious for some reason and it also changes the way I have to EQ. I thought that both the dx3 pro and the ADI DAC are linear if that is the right word. So that they just give me unfiltered sound, but apparently this is not the case. Crossfeed is not for me unfortunately, makes it sound worse in my opinion.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for your replies again everyone.

Maybe I decreased width or something I do not remember, but regardless with the ADI DAC it sounds way more spacious for some reason and it also changes the way I have to EQ. I thought that both the dx3 pro and the ADI DAC are linear if that is the right word. So that they just give me unfiltered sound, but apparently this is not the case. Crossfeed is not for me unfortunately, makes it sound worse in my opinion.
Here are all DSP features of the ADI-2 DAC:
  • Parametric EQ
  • Bass/Treble Control
  • Equal Loudness Compensation
  • Crossfeed
  • M/S Processing
Could it be that you're applying M/S Processing to regular Stereo content? That'd be kind of weird.

Wicky

The Crossfeed effect may sound "better" on certain recordings where the stereo effect is overdone, this comes out more in headphone rather than speaker listening. Typically found in some older recordings. Theory, if you are interested, here https://bs2b.sourceforge.net/

OP
M

monochiro

Could it be that you're applying M/S Processing to regular Stereo content? That'd be kind of weird.
I unfortunately do not know what that is. I think I use the DAC as is if width 1 is indeed the default setting. It sounds very different than the dx3 pro, which is also completely default. This should not be the case right?

About crossfeed, I think it is just worse for the content I consume at least, which is why I do not use it.

bachatero

M/S processing is actually popular among some people in the live music world because it allows you to get a "stereo" effect from a mono source or to enhance it already. However, I'd never use it because it simply distorts whatever you're listening to.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I unfortunately do not know what that is. I think I use the DAC as is if width 1 is indeed the default setting. It sounds very different than the dx3 pro, which is also completely default. This should not be the case right?

About crossfeed, I think it is just worse for the content I consume at least, which is why I do not use it.
If all DSP on the RME is disabled then no, it should sound no different than the Topping. Given the Topping has no DSP- this suggests you have something enabled on the RME.

Check the DC settings on the output you use. Make sure DC protection is set to "on" rather than "filter"

OP
M

monochiro

I checked it and it is all on default and it sounds different without doubt. I also like to overlay it with room emulation and there it is even more obvious. It does not even work with the dx3 pro, it makes it sound like a complete mess, whereas with the ADI DAC is sounds great. I am really at a loss as to why this is the case.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I checked it and it is all on default and it sounds different without doubt. I also like to overlay it with room emulation and there it is even more obvious. It does not even work with the dx3 pro, it makes it sound like a complete mess, whereas with the ADI DAC is sounds great. I am really at a loss as to why this is the case.
Same headphones and headphone cable on both DACs? Are you using any adapters?

OP
M

monochiro

Yes same headphones (Aune AR5000), same default cable no adapters.

Top Bottom