• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the lowest cost stereo USB ADC still the Behringer UCA202?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a project that doesn't require the nth degree of high purity audio, we were hunting for cheap USB 'soundcards'.
Unfortunately, after really looking into the swathe of C-Media chip based devices, it seems they all offer a mono mic input, not stereo line. We're talking about those little things that can be had from AliExpress and the like for $5 or less.
Scouring around I couldn't find anything with a stereo line in, not that didn't cost the same or more than one of those Behringer UCA202 units.

I've seen the thread here on that cheap stereo analogue to digital converter, but it doesn't interface by USB.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really don't care about purity, how about the built in soundcard in whatever PC you are going to use? Most laptops will have a stereo input ADC. Or do you need stereo mic inputs? Some PC's have that and some only have mono.

OP
L5730

L5730

The PC in question is a known dodgy Dell model.
Due to some odd behaviour the motherboard was swapped out and the new motherboard's audio is ropey. Odd distortion and other artefacts which aren't there on the analogue signal.
One option would be a PCI or PCI express audio card, but seeing how flaky this motherboard is, and the fact this system really can't be taken offline for very long, it's best to use external options.
The stereo analogue input is being connected to an FM tuner to make sure (1) silence isn't detected (2) that the stereo signal is being broadcast correctly. Onboard audio would be totally adequate, however in this case this motherboard is yet another lemon.

Budget is as low as can be. Behringer UCA202 is around the $30 mark, or less. So anything cheaper with stereo line input.
I've seen Behringer have a product with no DAC, just a pair of 1/4" jacks and a USB jack the other end. That would do the job for a little less outlay.

OP
L5730

L5730

My contact is in the USA and couldn't find one of those locally. Shipping from Thomann to US would be cost prohibitive. However, that Fun Generation unit does look like a possibility for us folks this side of the Atlantic.

OP
L5730

L5730

Just an ADC no DAC
1637228411098.png

Seems to be working just fine, I think it's only 16 bit 44.1/48 kHz.
Latency is not being tested, it's not something that matters in it's application. Noise levels are good enough.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Anyone knows this? STEREO line in:

12eur in Amazon.de

It seems to be stereo mic in (and headphone-out) intended to connect a headset with 3.5mm TRS jacks to a PC that lacks that input for some reason.
Mic levels and line levels are too far apart. Going line-in is likely to clip the input.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
It seems to be stereo mic in (and headphone-out) intended to connect a headset with 3.5mm TRS jacks to a PC that lacks that input for some reason.
Mic levels and line levels are too far apart. Going line-in is likely to clip the input.
From their website, don't know if satisfactory or not:

The sound card has only one input - for a microphone, how can I record?

A): On most Axagon USB sound cards, the line input is merged into the microphone input.
B): The sound card has the ability to recognize whether a microphone or stronger "link" signal is connected. So, for example, when recording from the headphones output of a mobile phone, you need to reduce the volume on the phone to 80-90 % or reduce the signal intensity in the recording software so that the signal is not overexcited. In the recording software (such as Audacity), you need to set up the Microphone-USB as the signal source.

MCH

Major Contributor
In any case, for my usecase, if i only knew if the scarlett 2i2 can be used as input for logitech media server, i would forget about all these dongles

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One would have to try. On the spec sheet it says microphone input. For € 12,- it may be worth looking into it when SQ is not of real importance.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
In any case, for my usecase, if i only knew if the scarlett 2i2 can be used as input for logitech media server, i would forget about all these dongles
Possibly - whatare the details of your use case? There's the WaveInput LMS plugin, but it seems to be linux only.

MCH

Major Contributor
I use PiCorePlayer LMS to stream an analogue input to other streamers around the house. So the usb soundcard goes plugged to a pi. The behringer works, would love to know if the 2i2 would do the same.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There have been reports that the 2i2 works with linux - even the gen 3 - so I would expect it to work as well as the behringer with piCorePlayer LMS.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom