• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Etymotic Research ER3SE worth it?

Sharur

If this is for er2 then try foam tip. It will help. (I think you have tried it).
For ER2, I didn't notice any differences in the 6-8 kHz recess with stock foam in one ear and triple flange inserted to my brain in the other when using tone generator but felt stock foam was brighter when listening to music. Which is why I asked you before if you had a measurement of ER2SE with stock foam tips vs triple flange lol.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
From technical standpoint the driver of er4sr is just the driver (ed-29689) with the nozzle on the driver slightly changed location. This shifts the mid range and the impedance a little bit. I had my friend (now owning softears) cracked open the er4sr and er4xr(sonion instead of Knowles) to see the drivers in 2018.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For ER2, I didn't notice any differences in the 6-8 kHz recess with stock foam in one ear and triple flange inserted to my brain in the other when using tone generator but felt stock foam was brighter when listening to music. Which is why I asked you before if you had a measurement of ER2SE with stock foam tips vs triple flange lol.
Measurements don't work very well with the foam tip unfortunately. 6-8khz hmmm maybe 5-6khz. I'm pretty sure after the foam affects 8khz to 10khz. One has to do this with sine sweep. The foam tip basically shapes the highs it shapes some of the energy in the 13-16khz range to lower, filling some recess around 8-10khz. But I haven't done stuff like this for 2 years now. Some may not go exactly right from memory.

Sharur

Measurements don't work very well with the foam tip unfortunately. 6-8khz hmmm maybe 5-6khz. I'm pretty sure after the foam affects 8khz to 10khz. One has to do this with sine sweep. The foam tip basically shapes the highs it shapes some of the energy in the 13-16khz range to lower, filling some recess around 8-10khz. But I haven't done stuff like this for 2 years now. Some may not go exactly right from memory.
Yeah, with a sine sweep I wasn't getting those differences. Nonetheless, such a small thing doesn't stop the ER2SE from sounding incredible.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Nonetheless, such a small thing doesn't stop the ER2SE from sounding incredible.
I just checked my old measurements for er2se. The dip is indeed around 7-9khz. And it should be improved from the foam tips.
You can also insert it shallower to help with this. Er2 does not need deepest insertion.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
About right depth
channel balance just right depth.png

Deeper
channel balance deepest.png

Sharur

This is similar to the EBU 3276 target with the rolloff beginning at 2 kHz. The reason I said Etymotic is not perfect is because the rolloff only begins at 5 kHz relative to diffuse field. That's my understanding at least, unless I'm missing something.

EDIT: wait I might have missed something crucial. Give me a couple of minutes

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is similar to the EBU 3276 target with the rolloff beginning at 2 kHz. The reason I said Etymotic is not perfect is because the rolloff only begins at 5 kHz relative to diffuse field. That's my understanding at least, unless I'm missing something.

EDIT: wait I might have missed something crucial. Give me a couple of minutes
FR_official_ER-4Bs.png
FR_official_ER-4P_ER-4Ss.png
Untitled (5).png
doT2f.png

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
These old graphs are hard to find... and Seeko.kr and goldenears being down.....There was also a website with audio recording of er4s being recorded played back for 5 times without losing too much of the original sound (almost the same rather) and was compared to apple ear bud.

Sharur

These old graphs are hard to find... and Seeko.kr and goldenears being down.....There was also a website with audio recording of er4s being recorded played back for 5 times without losing too much of the original sound (almost the same rather) and was compared to apple ear bud.
Sadly the information is being lost because Etymotic is too good for this world. A lot of this information isn't easily accessible to the general consumer. I am planning a video soon discussing all of this.

Sharur

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this part.
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 2.38.20 AM.png

Are they referring to EQ'd electrostatic headphones because I severely doubt there is one with higher than ER4SR accuracy with stock tuning, and if there is, I need to buy it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Basically it's just hard eq. So in the end it's only the matter of intention and the will of making something someway.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Curious why you mentioned Susvara as your endgame when this exists
This is just EQ basically so nothing too fancy.
In terms of Susvara, there are some qualities of susvara I really like. But no strong feeling about it otherwise I would have gotten one already.

Sharur

This is just EQ basically so nothing too fancy.
In terms of Susvara, there are some qualities of susvara I really like. But no strong feeling about it otherwise I would have gotten one already.
Is it much more difficult to tune the driver itself vs hard EQ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is it much more difficult to tune the driver itself vs hard EQ?
Not so much the driver but the acoustic around it. It's definitely not TOO difficult. And using planars or electrostatic it's easier to tune as they usually are already very good.
Developing a fixed hardware eq is actually very easy in comparison but as a independent unit it's not a very good idea. The people in STAX at the time had different vision. That's why they made sr007. And also there's a reason they went bankrupt several times.

jae

Major Contributor
All ER2SE come with the case and various tips including the foam ones, correct? What are good alternative foam ones?

Top Bottom