• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is RCA to XLR safe or can it cause damage

Bel Canto

I'm using a SMSL DA9 which has 1 set of rca inputs and 1 set of xlr inputs. I'm using the rca inputs from a topping e30 and was wanting to connect another source that only has rca out. If I use a rca to xlr cable to connect to the da9, will it work or can it damage the amp?

I realize it will not be balanced but thought it might be way get 2 inputs.

Anyone tried this?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If I use a rca to xlr cable to connect to the da9, will it work or can it damage the amp?
You won't hurt the amp but depending on how it's wired internally you could damage the sound and there's a slight chance of damaging whatever is plugged-in. If the two inputs are are directly-connected together you'd be "shorting" the outputs together..

For multiple inputs you normally need a selector switch or a mixer. The general rule is that it's OK to connect two inputs together (i.e. you can connect two power amps to one preamp) but it's not OK to "short" two (or more) outputs together. Or, you can use a Y-splitter to split/share a signal but not to combine signals.

OP
B

Bel Canto

If the two inputs are are directly-connected together you'd be "shorting" the outputs together
The DA9 has separate balanced and unbalanced inputs that are selectable so I don't believe they are connected in any way.

Top Bottom