• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my speaker output on my DRX 730 dead or repairable ?

thms

Hi there.

So I have a Yamaha DRX-730 that I use to power my Pianocraft NX-E700 speakers.

Here's the thing: When I installed them once, I think I put the speaker cable (those iron red/black cable) too far into the "holes".
I had to pull really, really, really hard to get them out of the hole when I needed to.

After, when I reinstalled it worked for some time, but I really had to insert the cable really deep into the hole.
But now, it seem the right channel has stopped working no matter how deep I insert, how much wire length I cut, and so on.

Here is a picture:
Yamaha%20DRX-730-3.jpg

So after trying many things to find out if it's the cable, I found that connecting both red/plus cable on the left speaker output, and each of the black wire in the correct place (L and R), it works.
But, of course, it is in mono...

It is those "Class 2 WIRING" that I think, need to be replaced.

What do you guys think ?
If I only use this thing for it's aux output and to power my speaker, what could be a cheap replacement ?

I will post a picture of the wiring in case it's not clear. Both speakers red wires are just connected to the L red hole, and nothing is in R red hole.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the first instance, I'd try using totally different speaker cable. I would not experiment further with putting two speakers' cables in the same spring clip.

If changing out the cable does not work, it's possible that a crossed speaker cable caused a short, but it's unlikely that pushing the wire too far into the spring clips could have caused that. Short circuited speaker cables will blow the fuses on most amplifiers, except for very inexpensive models, which may not have them. After unplugging the amp, you might take the cover off and see if there are any fuses. Then pull them out and replace them with new fuses that have the same values.

If neither of those steps work, there is probably a blown device somewhere inside the amp. Unless you're good with circuit diagrams and a soldering iron, that will require professional attention.

Zek

Major Contributor
I will post a picture of the wiring in case it's not clear. Both speakers red wires are just connected to the L red hole, and nothing is in R red hole.
If so, you have only left channel on both speakers, not stereo. Also impedance can be low and cause defect on amp.

OP
T

thms

I have both Left and Right in both speakers, so there is a short.
Like if I do a speak "left right test" on youtube, i hear left/right in both speakers, in this configuration.

What could I use to replace this amp ? It's an inexpensive one and I don't need a DVD or CD player.

Zek

Major Contributor
Open your amp and look at speaker posts and how its soldered to board.

OP
T

thms

Open your amp and look at speaker posts and how its soldered to board.

I'll do that later but I'd really like to know a replacement too because it's gonna be ugly, this thing survived my dorms room and I wonder how it still works with so much dirt inside.

OP
T

thms

Looks like I need a precise length cable insulation for it to make contact properly on the right channel, now.

Top Bottom