• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my 40 year old amp living on borrowed time?

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I work as a technical translator in the audio industry based out of Tokyo and I can tell you that Nichicon Capacitors put a date code on their capacitors. They also clearly state that the life span is 10 years regardless of if they have been used or not. They state that they cannot guarantee the tolerance, or the stability of the electrolytics inside the capacitor after 10 years. This is why you would never want to purchase a used electrolytic capacitor even if it New Old Stock. Capacitors are dynamic devices you can use an LCR meter and measure them but until load/current is applied you have no idea what is actually happening. This isn't the case for polypropylene or polycarbonate capacitors, hermetically sealed paper-in-oil or Mica caps. It's not a difficult job to source modern equivalents to your older amplifier. I've restored many older amplifiers with excellent results. Resistors, especially carbon ones have a lifespan and they do go wonky. New replacements will sound different both capacitor and resistors but they'll mellow out after a few cycles. Transistors can also fail, but you need a different device to measure how correctly they are operating.

I hope you restore rather than junk your older equipment. They weren't built to a price, especially the model that you specified. There is a strong restoration market here in Japan where you can bring your amplifier and pick it up in a month or two and it'll be better than new!

Top Bottom