• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

deleted

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Visited the manufacturing site of the HD800 years ago. Location was near Hannover, Germany. Still is.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Linus (from Linus Tech Tips) went to the HD800 factory in Germany a while back. The AP analyzer you see on the test bench make me question their design capabilities though. They could have a made a real proper headphone amplifier...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Some people embrasse a subject and then they read all they can. Since years now the SINAD of internet has becoming worst and worst. Because there is now a lot of Noise. Correct information is difficult to find, among the bs.

Cool down. Have a nap. Stop to read everything you can, analyse and spend more time listening to real performance and more time with people you love.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is it true that Sennheiser HD800 headphones are made in Guangzhou, China?

Visited the manufacturing site of the HD800 years ago. Location was near Hannover, Germany. Still is.

How can we be sure the Chinese didn't build a replica Hannover and a replica factory and staff it with some replica Germans and then make a video with some replica Americans and...

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Absolutely not. Made in germany and hand matched there.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, that Harman engineer seems to be not very happy about some preference ratings from our good fellow, oratory1990. He claimed, as I quote, that “the preference rating of m50x is 42, the result of 79 must be wrong” and “the rating of 7506 is 92, it’s must be wrong to be 80, probably because he did something wrong about the OCT accuracy ( I have no idea what that means ☹)”. From his perspective, the m50x is not suitable for monitoring, and “nothing, even if Thanos himself are using it, can change the fact that m50x is a piece of garbage”.

I personally didn’t get it. I mean, 80 and 92, okay, I’m cool with it. But 42 and 79? There must be something wrong about it, whether it’s the test results, or the headphone itself.

Is there any reason can explain the difference between these two ratings?

There are the frequency response graphs provided respectively by oratory1990 and guifushengong119:

View attachment 43893
View attachment 43894
Touching on this note only, if the M50 and M50X have the same sound, I have no trouble believing a <50 preference score, as my brother owns the former and I can’t stand listening to it, the recessed midrange makes it sound, to borrow a phrase from another online user, claustrophobic.

To note on the preference score, I find it almost meaningless, as it only takes into account how much the headphone deviates from the target, it disregards where it happens, it’ll treat a 5dB dip at 100Hz the same as a 3dB dip at 10kHz, where their effects on the sonic signature are magnitudes apart. It also doesn’t take into account Q-factor, as a bunch of high-Q dips are less of a problem than a single low-Q dips.

So yeah, I just look at the FR measurements in comparison to the target. the only measurements I don’t manually evaulate are things like the soundstage rating from Rtings.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There may be somebody counterfeiting them in China, it happens a lot, but the real ones are made in Germany. It is very unlikely the counterfeit ones sound any good since any manufacturing effort will have gone into making them look real and probably none on sounding real...

OP
D
Some people embrasse a subject and then they read all they can. Since years now the SINAD of internet has becoming worst and worst. Because there is now a lot of Noise. Correct information is difficult to find, among the bs.

Cool down. Have a nap. Stop to read everything you can, analyse and spend more time listening to real performance and more time with people you love.
Yeah, I guess you are right. Thanks, man.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Wherever they are made, I think the $40 figure is true :D It's crazy how much headphones sell for. Not that it's going to stop me from buying those HD800S!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
doubleverything:

It sounds like you are dealing with a troll. They abound on the internet and will often falsely claim to have knowledge, education, or employment that give them information that others do not. They are people who crave attention and as long as others argue with them, will continue to engage, as that is what they want. Take a step back and always remember, not everything posted on the internet is true. Do some research and arrive at your own conclusions. Finally, a bit of information about trolls and trolling:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-internet-trolling-3485891

OP
D
Linus (from Linus Tech Tips) went to the HD800 factory in Germany a while back. The AP analyzer you see on the test bench make me question their design capabilities though. They could have a made a real proper headphone amplifier...

Wow, that's really a beautiful video. Thank you.
Well, about the amplifier...I guess Sennheiser may just want to make something usable instead of excellent. Not a masterpiece, I have to say.

OP
D
Wherever they are made, I think the $40 figure is true :D It's crazy how much headphones sell for. Not that it's going to stop me from buying those HD800S!
Yeah, and I'm definately not complaining about it. Thanks, man.

OP
D
doubleverything:

It sounds like you are dealing with a troll. They abound on the internet and will often falsely claim to have knowledge, education, or employment that give them information that others do not. They are people who crave attention and as long as others argue with them, will continue to engage, as that is what they want. Take a step back and always remember, not everything posted on the internet is true. Do some research and arrive at your own conclusions. Finally, a bit of information about trolls and trolling:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-internet-trolling-3485891
deleted

Last edited:
Top Bottom