• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is bit perfect audio streaming & PC audio at the same possible?

evermoore

Hello! I'm wondering what options exist to play music bit perfect from an Internet streaming service (eg. Apple, Amazon, Tidal) and PC audio at the same time?
Eg. Stream music bit perfect on a Windows PC, while still being able to hear PC audio from games, notifications, voip communication, and so forth.
I'd also be listening with headphones, though having the option to use speakers too wouldn't hurt, but not a necessity.

Some suggested a hardware mixer, for music creation, may be a solution. However, they did not know enough about it to be able to confirm.
Someone else mentioned that their Zahl HM1 could do it, but that it wouldn't be a practical solution. I tend to agree, as much I'd like to own one myself.
Would an alternative system like Raspberry Pi, or OS like Linux/Ubuntu help?

I'm open to learning from any insights anyone may have, as I am relatively new to streaming and the melding of audio equipment with PCs, even though I've enjoyed the audio hobby for decades.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
By definition, if you mix audio, it’s not going to be bit-perfect anymore.

Best you can do is set the OS mixer audio sample to the same rate as the music file, and hope for the best. In any case, it’s unlikely you’ll hear the difference, especially if you’re focusing on other things.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In any case "bit perfect" is vastly over-rated. It is not required for "audibly perfect" sound reproduction.

And if you are listening to music together with additional audio mixed in, it is Totally Completely And Utterly Pointless (TM) :)

OP
E

evermoore

I see. Appreciate the insights. So if I understand it correctly, will any DAC w/ USB, connected to a PC, and presumably with ASIO or WASAPI drivers in shared mode, will sound practically just as good as bit perfect and allow me to hear all other PC audio at the same time too? And if I really want to listen to music bit perfect, set the drivers to exclusive mode and the DAC should auto switch bitrate and sample frequency to match the streamed music?

Top Bottom