• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Audeze LCD-2C an upgrade from DT 900 Pro X?

Which one to upgrade?

• Topping DX 7 Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Audeze LCD-2C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

robertwt7

Hi Everyone!

I am currently looking for an upgrade for christmas present to myself with a budget of 700-800 AUD

Right now my setup is DT 900 Pro X attached to Fiio K5 Pro Ess.
I have 2 options here, I found on local fb marketplace that someone is selling Audeze LCD-2C for $700 AUD, or there's another one who is selling the infamous Topping Dx 7 pro for $800 AUD, which one do you think is a better upgrade for my current setup?

I have been a long time lurker on this forum but decided to create an account today! :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone!

I am currently looking for an upgrade for christmas present to myself with a budget of 700-800 AUD

Right now my setup is DT 900 Pro X attached to Fiio K5 Pro Ess.
I have 2 options here, I found on local fb marketplace that someone is selling Audeze LCD-2C for $700 AUD, or there's another one who is selling the infamous Topping Dx 7 pro for $800 AUD, which one do you think is a better upgrade for my current setup?

I have been a long time lurker on this forum but decided to create an account today! :)
Welcome to ASR!

If you have been lurking long I think you can guess the answer. If the question is whether new DAC or new headphones will make a bigger difference to the sound, the answer is always headphones. In fact, even if it were the same headphones, a new set of the same ones would probably still sound more different than the K5 vs. the DX7 Pro, because of manufacturing tolerances in drivers from unit to unit.

So my advice is get the cans. Audeze are nice and mostly take EQ well.

OP
R

robertwt7

Welcome to ASR!

If you have been lurking long I think you can guess the answer. If the question is whether new DAC or new headphones will make a bigger difference to the sound, the answer is always headphones. In fact, even if it were the same headphones, a new set of the same ones would probably still sound more different than the K5 vs. the DX7 Pro, because of manufacturing tolerances in drivers from unit to unit.

So my advice is get the cans. Audeze are nice and mostly take EQ well.
Thanks! That make sense, would the Audeze makes much difference compared to hd650? I have some available in my local marketplace as well. I don't have a way to try it on so I don't know which one to get. I listen to all types of music as well

Dazerdoreal

When it comes to your question "investing in an expensive headphone or an expensive amplifier", you might want to watch this video:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have LCD-2s, which are similar to the LCD-2Cs, and my AKG K601s have a response similar to HD650s. If you don't mind the stretch of comparison, I'd say it depends. The Audeze is very laid back. Even badly recorded tracks come across as smooth. But, it lacks some of the clarity of the K601. Obviously on bad tracks that clarity means you hear the badness. Hope that helps.

OP
R

robertwt7

When it comes to your question "investing in an expensive headphone or an expensive amplifier", you might want to watch this video:
I'm not a pro but I was looking into the DAC which presumably should make the sound better because it is much better than my FiiO? I agree though, getting the headphone will be much better upgrade

A Surfer

Major Contributor
No, a DAC is so rarely going to make audible difference. Only if a DAC is poorly designed or faulty could it ever "sound different". That is just an audiophile fairy tale they like to tell each other.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Biggest difference in the Audeze is the bass. Try as you might, you won't get the same amount of beefy subbass from HD650. Then there is physical difference: HD650 is light and kind of rest lightly on ears whereas Audezes are heavy and cover the ears completely, creating completely different kind of feeling. This difference also changes how the sound is experienced.

It's impossible to say if this is a upgrade as with EQ both headphones are objectively pretty nice already. You kind of need to try the Audezes on somewhere. Or just buy them, they aren't bad and they certainly give different kind of experience.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd sat get EQ first if you don't have it. If RME ADI-2 DAC FS is available fir a similar cost, my suggestion would be to get that. Once you have EQ, you have to worry much less about the out of the box tuning of your headphones. You'll probably get more out of the ability to EQ then you would from a new DAC/AMP or even a new set of cans in my opinion.

Top Bottom