• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is a totally flat speaker really what we want for home reproduction?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have many of you lot listened to the same speaker in different domestic rooms? I'm not being patronising, but the flattest model will change its sound vastly depending on the room and positioning within it.
Use DSP and a few stretegically placed carpets.

Bearing in mind the above, my take is to try for speakers with the least added 'character' of their own if possible and then adjust them if possible to the room they're in. Not all of us can tinker hugely with room decor and furnishings unless we have a 'man cave' and shut ourselves away from the family for music listening.
True, very true.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
When someone say I like bigger vocal, it is not gonna be flat respond earthing.

huh? "Bigger vocal" means turn up the frequencies in the vocal range. What does that have to do with buying speakers? I don't think a strategy of looking for speakers that emphasize the vocal range of frequencies is a particularly wise way to go. There's a lot of stuff that happens in that range that isn't vocals...why would anyone want that slapped on top of every recording they listen to?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The ‘BBC dip’ turns out to be a persistent myth. There’s no evidence that it was ever deliberately incorporated into a BBC speaker design. It was at best as an unfortunate side-effect from persuing other design goals, or a deliberate degradation of speaker performance in order to simulate the poor speakers built into TVs.

There are still good reasons for it https://www.linkwitzlab.com/models.htm#H

Our hearing is very sensitive around this region

sensitivity_main_chart.jpg

Everyone can easily test it for themselves it can make sound recordings much better.

ADU

Major Contributor
In case anyone may be interested...

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is why i am a proponent of mandatory variable loudness on all amps.

It was used to have a prototypical "bad" speaker, like you would find at that time at the hat shelf of a car or inside a tape recorder. Make sure your mix doesn't disintegrate while listening to it on door speakers or other suboptimal hardware.

kongwee

Major Contributor
huh? "Bigger vocal" means turn up the frequencies in the vocal range. What does that have to do with buying speakers? I don't think a strategy of looking for speakers that emphasize the vocal range of frequencies is a particularly wise way to go. There's a lot of stuff that happens in that range that isn't vocals...why would anyone want that slapped on top of every recording they listen to?
You can just buy speaker doing that and lots of them, and components that contribute more without eqing.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would anyone do that?? I mean whatever floats your boat, but as a general strategy for putting a system together it's pretty bizarre.
It's a great strategy if you want lots of your recordings to sound harsh and bright, and then you want to spend a small fortune on interconnects, power cables, mains purifiers and other tat trying in vain to fix it.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't get it either. It's still just a form of EQing. But the most cumbersome one imaginable.

Seems to be the backbone of the hobby for a lot of people though, so I can respect it as a kind of enjoyable waste of time. Just not my bag.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I don't get it either. It's still just a form of EQing. But the most cumbersome one imaginable.

Exactly. "Rather than simply apply this single, small boost to the vocal frequencies with this free parametric EQ, I'm going to spend endless time and money buying a stream of different speakers and components to achieve the same goal but with less individual control."

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anytime I see a speaker review and it mentions that they were 'designed by ear' I think 'F-me, run a mile!'.

But in audiophile circles it's considered to be a good thing. Sometimes it's astonishing how wrong people can be.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve begun to think that good directivity (i.e. off axis sound tonally similar to direct sound) is more important than perfectly flat FR. You can eq to taste (whatever target curve at LP you want) afterwards if directivity is good. My quite flat anechoic measuring speakers lose all semblance of that in my room.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Oh yeah good directivity is important too for sure. Perfectly flat response certainly isn't a hard necessity. It's just a good thing to try and shoot for. But a bit of variance from flat here and there isn't going to destroy the process - especially assuming some EQ work is going to be done in the end to smooth off the significant discrepancies...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Use DSP and a few stretegically placed carpets.

True, very true.
Rockwool (or similar) on walls, Ikea Kallax with a gazillon books and grandma´s thick wool carpet are, most of the time, quite good and functional alternatives to super expensive bass traps and reflective pannels.

With good positioning of the speakers and a bit room correction, that will cover a lot of small and medium spaces.

kevinh

Tone controls are a good thing if you listen to music from different eras. The best one I am aware of is the 'Master Class' essentially a rebranded software developed by Dick Burwen to replace his eq system 9which was the basis for the Cello Audio Palette).

At the bottom of the page there are soem samples of songs that have been 'corrected' by the software.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Go to audiophile show, the answer is there.

Huh? The acoustics at audiophile shows are mostly horrific, and they never match the ones in your listening space at home, so what useful answer would you actually get? Aesthetics, user interface and tactile experience, sure. But sound?

Top Bottom