• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internal speaker wires

rokr

So i got into DIY speaker building lately and enjoy all aspects of it, but there is something i don't understand.
Are internal speaker wires as important as external cables? if so, why are internal cables in most commercial speaker and in DIY kits are so thin and also the wiring between crossover part are even thinner. Which internal speaker wires do you use?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So i got into DIY speaker building lately and enjoy all aspects of it, but there is something i don't understand.
Are internal speaker wires as important as external cables? if so, why are internal cables in most commercial speaker and in DIY kits are so thin and also the wiring between crossover part are even thinner.

Because they were likely chosen to be competent for the job they are being asked to do, rather than to be part of a show.

The whole 'cable thing' in audiophile-land is beyond silly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 14AWG in-wall twisted pair from Monoprice. Like BDWoody said, the cable woo-woo is nonsense. They're wires, not magic wands.

Beave

Major Contributor
Internal cables are just as important as the external ones.

Yes, in that all one needs is the appropriate gauge for the length.

For wires outside the speaker, the length might be long, and thus a thicker gauge is needed.

For wires inside the speaker, they're usually a foot or two in length, and thus a thick wire is not necessary.

7Tiger

why are internal cables in most commercial speaker and in DIY kits are so thin and also the wiring between crossover part are even thinner. Which internal speaker wires do you use?
Because 0,5 - 1 mm² for HF and 1 - 1,5 mm² for LF is enough for such short runs as internal connections inside the speaker cabinet.
I use plain electrical wire or some inexpensive speaker cable like Sommer or Cordial

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Far more important than the type of wire you use in DIY is making sure your connections are tight and remain so.

OP
R

rokr

Thanks. A thick cable for long runs a thinner one for short runs.
Shouldn't have skipped those electricity lessons...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Note total lack of woo-woo.

droid2000

Wires in speakers are thin because that's all thats needed since they are hidden inside the speaker and don't need to be fluffed up by the marketing team to steal your money.

Although the new cables from https://ifi-audio.com are so hot right now.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

True. Important in the sense that: No wire = no sound.

Unimportant in the sense that any wire with sufficient gauge and specific resistance for the length in question will do the job.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sticking to stranded copper and soft jacketing avoids strained connections and allows easier routing to avoid rub/buzz issues. Also prefer something colored as it just makes polarity more obvious.:cool:

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. A thick cable for long runs a thinner one for short runs.
Shouldn't have skipped those electricity lessons...
Amazing that you took away the wrong thing.

1. resistance, 2. inductance, 3. capacitance are all that matters.

This electrical parameters of cables have been extensively tested to show that garden variety 16 AWG is perfect i. the audible band at normal lengths and 14 AWG is fine for longer runs. In most cases the resistance and inductance of normal cables is less than the error tolerances of the parts used in the crossover.

Leeken

Wires in speakers are thin because that's all thats needed since they are hidden inside the speaker and don't need to be fluffed up by the marketing team to steal your money.

Although the new cables from https://ifi-audio.com are so hot right now.
I thought that was an April fools,then I remembered we’re into July,maybe an out of date April fools? No you can actually add it to a basket! Looks like bloody cooker element.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it ironic that the same folks claiming the need for expensive speaker cables are the same ones advocating the need for air core conductors in crossovers. A typical woofer crossover would have one or more inductors in series with the driver(s). An open core inductor of the typical values needed is tens of feet of wire and would typically have a resistance of at least .25 ohm. Using 2 inductors may put half an ohm or more in series with the woofer.

No fancy speaker cable is going to improve upon having way more added resistance inside the box than outside.:)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yup.
And exactly as irrelevant, too.
;)

As long as wire conducts electricity and doesn't heat up appreciably while doing so -- it's probably completely fit for purpose.

Just like the wiring inside a hifi component, or in the AC wiring in a domicile, as compared to the one meter long power cord in between. :)

20230624_171749.jpg

source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dio-fest-report-continued.45908/#post-1636720

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
PS If one wants to buy wires based on aesthetic design or perceived quality of construction -- that's fine*.

* With the additional qualifier that it should be safe to use, e.g., not prone to starting a fire. Of course, this applies more to AC mains cable than it does to speaker wire. ;)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup.
And exactly as irrelevant, too.
;)

As long as wire conducts electricity and doesn't heat up appreciably while doing so -- it's probably completely fit for purpose.

Just like the wiring inside a hifi component, or in the AC wiring in a domicile, as compared to the one meter long power cord in between. :)

20230624_171749.jpg

source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dio-fest-report-continued.45908/#post-1636720

As aesthetics go, I want to hear my music and not see equipment. But yes I get the picture came from a high end audio show...

Given the above, I do try to hide speaker cabling (my wife really hates visiible wires). Are those silver cables for wiring or security locks? I know what they look like to me.:D

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
and as long as you pick the right gauge and with good material (Oxy-free copper, aka OFC is one), all is good.

I opened my $7000/pair speakers, and the wires in there is probably the cheapest you can find

Top Bottom