• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside Pioneer amps

• Thread starter Deleted member 48726
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48726

Inspired by the "Inside Yamaha amps" thread; Inside Yamaha amps, I think it would be cool to start one with Pioneer amplifiers.
Both Yamaha and Pioneer launched their first HiFi product in 1953 / 54. Even though Yamaha holds the highest regard with me, Pioneer comes in at second place. There really is some high quality units from the past. I must admit I haven't been keeping up to date with the newer Pioneer stuff so I am referring to the old(er) stuff.

Any pictures of Pioneer amplifiers are welcome.

This OP is really lame as I don't own any Pioneer amplifiers. -It's all up to you guys! ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
umm, I don't/haven't owned too many either... Not a big fan, really.

Here's a bit of the innards -- to wit, the stereo power amplifier section -- of a Knight (Allied Radio) 333 receiver -- a "badge engineered" variant of the Pioneer SX-34 low-end, low-powered stereo receiver of the mid-1960s. Push-pull 6BM8 for about 8 wpc. Kind of a spaghetti monster mess inside. :eek: Replacing those brown coupling caps in this was a bit of a challenge. :)

1667352406956.jpeg

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Here's a bit of the innards -- to wit, the stereo power amplifier section -- of a Knight (Allied Radio) 333 receiver -- a "badge engineered" variant of the Pioneer SX-34 low-end, low-powered stereo receiver of the mid-1960s. Push-pull 6BM8 for about 8 wpc. Kind of a spaghetti monster mess inside. :eek: Replacing those brown coupling caps in this was a bit of a challenge. :)
That looks.. Rough.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 240665
Holy crow!!! You mention that this component was low end. In this day & age it's hard to imagine anything with this much point-to- wiring being "low end" on account of the fine and complicated of manual work involved.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Carrying on with the low end theam. Here's my M-J200 from about 1990. Wich is very basic. It has received some light modification , converted to rca, bigger filter caps and a normal mains lead.
20221102_125702~2.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Holy crow!!! You mention that this component was low end. In this day & age it's hard to imagine anything with this much point-to- wiring being "low end" on account of the fine and complicated of manual work involved.
Here's the Allied/Knight morph. The Pioneer morph (SX-34) was also sold in the US (as also was the SX-34B, which had a meter instead of the magic eye tube for FM signal strength). It was Allied's entry-level receiver for a few years in the mid to late 1960s.

1667401949870.png

source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1969_allied_radio_catalog.html page 22

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You could ask extra for this kind of garbage these days.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck.
Outside.

Inside.
1667402384014.jpeg

Next model sequence (a few years later), the CT-F900 was, very briefly, the TOTL Pioneer Cassette deck. Not as nice inside nor out.

Here's a second-half of the '70s entry level Pioneer stereo receiver, the SX-450. The sales leader of the line was probably the SX-650 (35 wpc), but the 450, due to its low cost, was pretty common, too. 15 wpc. My recollection is these were about $150 from the discount hifi chains of their era (ca. 76-77).

From top to bottom, these four (more or less) entry level receivers of the second half of the '70s are:
Technics SA-80
Pioneer SX-580
Pioneer SX-450
Yamaha CR-240

Here's the innards of that SX-450.

In fairness, the big Pioneers of the SX-xx50 model line were pretty impressive inside. I have an SX-1050 upstairs, but I don't think I have a photo of its entrails. Its big brother, the SX-1250, was -- I must admit ;) -- pretty darned well built.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I had one of those Pioneer CT-F900's for a while years ago. The damned thing kept breaking down: the clutch mechanism repeatedly failed and attempted repair worked only for a short time. :mad:
These two both work -- well, they did, last I knew.
That said, yes, both these, and the CT-F1000s, don't age well. There are plastic (maybe nylon?) parts inside that get brittle with age. I -- ahem -- actually had two CT-F1000s, too. I gave one to a local guru who, as a COVID project, ended up getting interested in tweaking & restoring (resto-modding, even) some vintage, good quality cassette decks. He spent a protracted period lovingly restoring the CT-F1000 (which did work, but certainly wasn't healthy), got it to a pretty robust level of performance, but quickly moved on to some much more modern Sony 3-head decks from the last flowering of "good" cassette decks (early-mid 1990s). Those were likewise pretty needy, as I recall.

... but I digress.

ronniebear

Pioneer SX-750 receiver, still in my collection, turns on but has an annoying power-supply hum. For what it's worth, this FM tuner (fully aligned three years ago) seems to have superb adjacent-channel selectivity and low distortion (in an area with a lot of trees and some multipath), and one of the best-sounding and sensitive AM tuners I've ever heard (other than a General Electric Super-Radio).

Attachments

• 20170125_225905.jpg
    20170125_225905.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170125_225831.jpg
    20170125_225831.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20170125_225822.jpg
    20170125_225822.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170125_225808.jpg
    20170125_225808.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 46

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here's one of my Pioneer babies:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pioneer SX-750 receiver, still in my collection, turns on but has an annoying power-supply hum. For what it's worth, this FM tuner (fully aligned three years ago) seems to have superb adjacent-channel selectivity and low distortion (in an area with a lot of trees and some multipath), and one of the best-sounding and sensitive AM tuners I've ever heard (other than a General Electric Super-Radio).
P/S hum even at zero volume? Main P/S filter capacitors, methinks. :)

Nothing against your Pioneer, nor the GE SuperRadios ;) but (and FWIW) the best sounding AM tuners here are of rather... older tech. Pretty 'hot', too.
Here's, perhaps, the best of the lot in those regards.

The era of "AM-FM simulcast stereo" broadcasts (in the US), shortly before the FCC licensed compatible FM MPX stereo, produced a raft of AM-FM component tuners (and a few receivers, too) with remarkably good AM sections. This Sherwood was not one of them, but the AM radio section of it is very, very good.

That said, I have a early-mid '70s vintage Sansui 5000A soiled solid state receiver with a surprisingly good AM tuner in both "radio" and "audio" terms. Surprised me, it did! :)

... but I digress*.

ronniebear

P/S hum even at zero volume? Main P/S filter capacitors, methinks. :)

Nothing against your Pioneer, nor the GE SuperRadios ;) but (and FWIW) the best sounding AM tuners here are of rather... older tech. Pretty 'hot', too.
Here's, perhaps, the best of the lot in those regards.

The era of "AM-FM simulcast stereo" broadcasts (in the US), shortly before the FCC licensed compatible FM MPX stereo, produced a raft of AM-FM component tuners (and a few receivers, too) with remarkably good AM sections. This Sherwood was not one of them, but the AM radio section of it is very, very good.

That said, I have a early-mid '70s vintage Sansui 5000A soiled solid state receiver with a surprisingly good AM tuner in both "radio" and "audio" terms. Surprised me, it did! :)

... but I digress*.

You are right that a handful of AM-FM component tuners from the 1958-62 "simulcast stereo", designed to allow the user to feed one channel of output audio tuned to an AM frequency and another channel tuned to an FM frequency, prompted real excellence in AM tuner circuitry.

Interestingly, when I was just a baby my father purchased a Harman/Kardon "Award Series" TA-5000X receiver as part of a custom-packaged stereo system. The 1962-vintage TA-5000X which had separate tuner columns for AM and for FM, likely reflecting the product development stage when "simulcast stereo" capability might have been contemplated. Ultimately, as the FCC-approved and newly-introduced Zenith FM multiplex system had rendered "simulcast stereo" moot, the TA-5000X receiver omitted "simulcast stereo" and only tuned one FM or AM station at a time. Although I recall the AM tuner had very good performance, I don't recall it having particularly extended frequency bandwidth compared to FM. We had that receiver in the family home until about 1980.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You are right that a handful of AM-FM component tuners from the 1958-62 "simulcast stereo", designed to allow the user to feed one channel of output audio tuned to an AM frequency and another channel tuned to an FM frequency, prompted real excellence in AM tuner circuitry.

Interestingly, when I was just a baby my father purchased a Harman/Kardon "Award Series" TA-5000X receiver as part of a custom-packaged stereo system. The 1962-vintage TA-5000X which had separate tuner columns for AM and for FM, likely reflecting the product development stage when "simulcast stereo" capability might have been contemplated. Ultimately, as the FCC-approved and newly-introduced Zenith FM multiplex system had rendered "simulcast stereo" moot, the TA-5000X receiver omitted "simulcast stereo" and only tuned one FM or AM station at a time. Although I recall the AM tuner had very good performance, I don't recall it having particularly extended frequency bandwidth compared to FM. We had that receiver in the family home until about 1980.
Well there's not much room for audio bandwidth on the US AM (broadcast) band! :)
Some of the AM tuners made the best of a difficult band, though, for sure.

I do have identically one Pioneer tuner -- and it does receive the "AM" band... but I don't (at least yet) have a photo of its innards to contribute to this thread. :confused:
Here's its outards, though.

You know -- to stay, kinda, sorta, on topic. ;)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice pics so far, sadly i don't have any Pioneer gear to contribute.

Top Bottom