• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Insanely Expensive Audio

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it's not a horn.
But you did speak of a corner positioned horn.
A non-corner loaded bass horn such as shown or La Scala's will be lucky to make 50hz at -3db or so.

Ah, ok. I think it might have been someone else who talked about corner-positioned horns... But yes, non-corner loaded bass horns do not extend low unless quite large :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I actually kind of want one of these Audio Technica ART1000 cartridges. They're a piker's price at a "mere" $4999, compared to Koetsu's handmade by Japanese grandfathers in basements.

But the idea of spending $5k on a consumable, let alone one prone to be destroyed by house cleaners or cats, gives pause.

ImageResizer.ashx

art1000_img02.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Revel Salon 2. $22,000.

Goodbye everyone, nice knowing you. I am about to get banned from this site now. :p

Hmmm...

Not even in the ballpark price-wise, and Revel states they shoot for beating speakers in their DBT test that are at least 2x the price. Those speakers have beaten others that are way more than 2x the price in DBTs. And there are many, many speakers these days in the $20k'ish range. That's not out of reach for many upper-middle-class incomes, if that's how they choose to spend their money, so I would not put them in the insanely expensive class. Of course, I am quite biased, because...

Amir owns Salon2's, as do I, so I doubt banning is in your future. Not for bringing Salon2's into this thread, anyway, however misguided that may be. I forgive you. :)

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm...

Not even in the ballpark price-wise, and Revel states they shoot for beating speakers in their DBT test that are at least 2x the price. Those speakers have beaten others that are way more than 2x the price in DBTs. And there are many, many speakers these days in the $20k'ish range. That's not out of reach for many upper-middle-class incomes, if that's how they choose to spend their money, so I would not put them in the insanely expensive class. Of course, I am quite biased, because...

I agree, $22k for a pair of full range speakers is not insanely expensive, at least to an audiophile. That's what B&W 802 D3's go for too. However, putting speakers of this caliber in a small room is insane. A year ago the Revel's were $16k, possibly even a steal.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir owns Salon2's, as do I, so I doubt banning is in your future

I know he does which I why I was joking about the ban :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
However, putting speakers of this caliber in a small room is insane. .
I agree they should have some room around them to sing, maybe at least 12x18 so you can get them out in the room a bit., bigger would be better. Footprint is only 14w X 23d.
That's the good thing about the modern smaller satillites + subs. You can get away with a smaller room and still have great imaging AND bass.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I know he does which I why I was joking about the ban :)

No offense to posters such as yourself, but @amirm really should own something better than the hoi polloi posting here.

Speakers only as expensive as a Hyundai Kona?

No wonder the dudes at WBF don't take him seriously.

He really should change his Patreon account to accept donations for new speakers, instead of yet-another-cheap-DAC to test.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree they should have some room around them to sing, maybe at least 12x18 so you can get them out in the room a bit., bigger would be better. Footprint is only 14w X 23d.
That's the good thing about the modern smaller satillites + subs. You can get away with a smaller room and still have great imaging AND bass.

My current setup is LS50's and a Dynamo 1000W sub. It took a lot of tinkering to get it to sound right and I don't think the results would be as good without the highpass filter built into my XLS1502 amp. It's because subwoofer setup is inherently tricky that not that many try it

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My current setup is LS50's and a Dynamo 1000W sub. It took a lot of tinkering to get it to sound right and I don't think the results would be as good without the highpass filter built into my XLS1502 amp. It's because subwoofer setup is inherently tricky that not that many try it
I always liked the idea of coaxial driver design though I havn't heard anything modern in a long time. Some 1950-1960 golden days speakers passed thru here over the years but I can't remember which ones. I've been very tempted to order a set of the new HSU Research CCB-8's to audition. A bit less than the LS50 at $859 a pair in rosenut wood cabinetry, I'd love to give en a listen.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html
CCB8SB-V-600.jpg

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always liked the idea of coaxial driver design though I havn't heard anything modern in a long time. Some 1950-1960 golden days speakers passed thru here over the years but I can't remember which ones. I've been very tempted to order a set of the new HSU Research CCB-8's to audition. A bit less than the LS50 at $859 a pair in rosenut wood cabinetry, I'd love to give en a listen.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html

The CCB-8 is on sale now, better hurry. I prefer to buy from the larger established audio manufacturers because they have huge engineering resources and low cost manufacturing in China as compared to the smaller outfits.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
muon-pair-rl-final.jpg

How about the KEF Muon for $225k per pair? Kind of an LS50 on LSD. Only 100 made, hurry before they are all gone. Includes white glove delivery and setup by a KEF engineer. Tell your friends they are sculpture.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I agree, $22k for a pair of full range speakers is not insanely expensive, at least to an audiophile. That's what B&W 802 D3's go for too. However, putting speakers of this caliber in a small room is insane. A year ago the Revel's were $16k, possibly even a steal.

Guilty as charged. But, my sanity has never been in question, gone long, long ago...

13'3" W x 17'7" L x 8'6" H x 6 Salon2's and a Voice2. I like it cozy. :)

The retail price of the Salon2's has been $22k for quite a while now, though they have some great deals on A- and B-stock (how I got mine). The bad news is the price is going up to $27k/pair "soon" (they've been saying that for half a year plus now).

As for the KEF's, if that guy showed up to deliver mine, I'd ask him to at least put on some socks first... Although the all-white outfit does sort of fit the title of this thread; are the unseen white walls padded? :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The CCB-8 is on sale now, better hurry. I prefer to buy from the larger established audio manufacturers because they have huge engineering resources and low cost manufacturing in China as compared to the smaller outfits.
Well I know that KEF has been around a long time. but I been doing business with Dr Hsu for close to 30 years now. He started Hsu Research back in 1991 just after receiving his PHD in engineering from MIT. Very honorable man to do business with.
I believe for the longevity bit he beats the Kii's and D&D that everyone is jumping on now. ;)

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I know that KEF has been around a long time. but I been doing business with Dr Hsu for close to 30 years now. He started Hsu Research back in 1991 just after receiving his PHD in engineering from MIT. Very honorable man to do business with.
I believe for the longevity bit he beats the Kii's and D&D that everyone is jumping on now. ;)

At their current sale price of roughly $700 delivered the risk is very low. The much ballyhooed Kii 3 received a weak review from What Hi-Fi.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guilty as charged. But, my sanity has never been in question, gone long, long ago...

13'3" W x 17'7" L x 8'6" H x 6 Salon2's and a Voice2. I like it cozy. :)

That's within inches of the size of my room which is a finished attic with an irregular ceiling. The living room is large, but I don't want a divorce. Enjoy your Salon 2's.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's within inches of the size of my room which is a finished attic with an irregular ceiling. The living room is large, but I don't want a divorce. Enjoy your Salon 2's.

Thanks! I have a long history of cramming big speakers into small'ish rooms (see the thread here on that topic) and -- more importantly -- a very understanding wife. To a point; the media room is mine, but I went with F206's in the family room wherein she dwells, and they are plenty.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, $22k for a pair of full range speakers is not insanely expensive, at least to an audiophile.

Especially compared to the insane prices new cars go for nowadays. It's just priorities in you hobbies.

Any upper-middle class American who doesn't mind a Yaris or Fit instead of a Lexus or BMW could easily have $22K left over to spend on other hobbies. I bought a 'new' used car a couple years ago and was considering buying something cheaper and spending the savings on a Stax 009 but in the end I went with the sports car. V8s make another kind of music. ;)

You'd probably have to save up a for the Revels first. I'm not really aware of any financing on non-professional audio equipment. Even since I bought my ADI-2 DAC from Sweetwater they've been inviting me to outfit a whole recording studio with free financing on their credit card.

Do those kind of high end dealers finance anything or is there usual customer base so loaded that they don't bother?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I love Sweetwater but they've cost me a lot over the years...

Some dealers offer special financing, usually through a store card, but with very rare exceptions it is a very expensive way to go. Some do have 0% for xxx months offers once or twice a year. Banks treat such purchases them as a personal (usually unsecured) loan and again you pay high interest so that's not generally a good idea. But, I have very limited and only local experience, so that may not be true everywhere. I had saved for a number of years before getting my first pair; the last two came about as a combination of a stock grant, unexpectedly large bonus, kids finally both graduated and on their own, and cancelled vacation that combined to open a window to a set of B-stock Salon2's. With the permission, and actually encouragement, of SWMBO!

As an aside, now and then I have wondered at a banking system that lets me finance a car at 0% for several years then go out and drive it around at great risk to all, but demands exorbitant interest rates for a pair of nice speakers that will sit safely in my media room.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any upper-middle class American who doesn't mind a Yaris or Fit instead of a Lexus or BMW could easily have $22K left over to spend on other hobbies. I bought a 'new' used car a couple years ago and was considering buying something cheaper and spending the savings on a Stax 009 but in the end I went with the sports car. V8s make another kind of music. ;)

There is a fairly large range of what is considered upper middle class and it depends a lot on where you live. As a reference point one percenters make around $450k and up. I understand V8 music as I drive a Camaro SS.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I have a long history of cramming big speakers into small'ish rooms (see the thread here on that topic) and -- more importantly -- a very understanding wife. To a point; the media room is mine, but I went with F206's in the family room wherein she dwells, and they are plenty.

The F206 is hardly a lightweight.

Top Bottom